D&D 5E TEMPEST CLERIC 4TH LVL ASI ADVICE

Hi all...so I'm just getting back into dnd after not playing since 4e (it's so much better now).
I'm looking for advice on the 4th level ASI: specifically, should I increase my WIS to 18?, or take the feat SPELL SNIPER: BOOMING BLADE?

I'm playing a LVL2 MARK OF THE SENTINEL HUMAN TEMPEST DOMAIN CLERIC: a sentinel/protector harnessing the forces of nature vibes.
STR14 DEX12 CON16 INT8 WIS16 CHA8

Our DM allowed every player to take a feat at LVL1, and I took WAR CASTER.
The trade off being I couldn't play the VARIANT HUMAN and gain the extra feat...which I'm cool with. MARK OF THE SENTINEL really suits the build I was after, and has some neat perks.

I'm using a GLAIVE (REACH is cool and I just love the visual), as well as the standard WARHAMMER/SHIELD combo.

We have a DRUID in the party, so although I'm the main healer, that role is not falling upon me entirely.

I understand that taking the WIS ASI is probably more optimal, but I really enjoy combat, and see some really interesting synergy and thematic flavour in the SPIRITUAL WEAPON/SPIRIT GUARDIANS/BOOMING BLADE combo that comes online at LVL5 (especially with the BOOMING BLADE damage increase).
The idea being that I would predominantly use the GLAIVE to attack with REACH, forcing the enemy to decide between A) trying to escape the range of SPIRIT GUARDIANS and taking the BOOMING BLADE damage on the way out, or B) closing to melee range, taking that damage anyway, in an attempt to disrupt my concentration on SPIRIT GUARDIANS, and consequently suffering WRATH OF THE STORM if they hit.
That way I can churn out some pretty consistent damage, whilst creating a decent zone of protection for myself and my allies, some tough decisions for enemies, and still preserve spell slots for healing.
Is this as good as it sounds in my head?
Or am I missing something REALLY obvious?

If I do take SPELL SNIPER at LVL4, I would definitely take the WIS ASI at LVL8.

So basically what I'm asking is...is there a compelling reason why taking SPELL SNIPER: BOOMING BLADE at LVL4 is a BAD idea?

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
You're not very strong, so your chance to hit is not that great. If you can get your hands on a strength improving item it might offset.

Booming Blade is a fine, but noisy, spell. Of course, that is part of your entire focus - the flash and bang of thunder and lightning. HOWEVER, it has a 5' range. When you use a polearm with it, they must be adjacent to you, and thus your reach is not benefiting you.

Personally, when I go melee cleric, I am focused on being the pivot around while the battle takes place. I push to the center of the battlefield and try to manage how PCs and enemies move around me. I'm more interested in control than damage. To that end, Sentinel or Polearm Master would be of interest to me as a PC - but again, only if I am strong enough.

ECMO3

Hero
Hi all...so I'm just getting back into dnd after not playing since 4e (it's so much better now).
I'm looking for advice on the 4th level ASI: specifically, should I increase my WIS to 18?, or take the feat SPELL SNIPER: BOOMING BLADE?

I'm playing a LVL2 MARK OF THE SENTINEL HUMAN TEMPEST DOMAIN CLERIC: a sentinel/protector harnessing the forces of nature vibes.
STR14 DEX12 CON16 INT8 WIS16 CHA8

Our DM allowed every player to take a feat at LVL1, and I took WAR CASTER.
The trade off being I couldn't play the VARIANT HUMAN and gain the extra feat...which I'm cool with. MARK OF THE SENTINEL really suits the build I was after, and has some neat perks.

I'm using a GLAIVE (REACH is cool and I just love the visual), as well as the standard WARHAMMER/SHIELD combo.

We have a DRUID in the party, so although I'm the main healer, that role is not falling upon me entirely.

I understand that taking the WIS ASI is probably more optimal, but I really enjoy combat, and see some really interesting synergy and thematic flavour in the SPIRITUAL WEAPON/SPIRIT GUARDIANS/BOOMING BLADE combo that comes online at LVL5 (especially with the BOOMING BLADE damage increase).
The idea being that I would predominantly use the GLAIVE to attack with REACH, forcing the enemy to decide between A) trying to escape the range of SPIRIT GUARDIANS and taking the BOOMING BLADE damage on the way out, or B) closing to melee range, taking that damage anyway, in an attempt to disrupt my concentration on SPIRIT GUARDIANS, and consequently suffering WRATH OF THE STORM if they hit.
That way I can churn out some pretty consistent damage, whilst creating a decent zone of protection for myself and my allies, some tough decisions for enemies, and still preserve spell slots for healing.
Is this as good as it sounds in my head?
Or am I missing something REALLY obvious?

If I do take SPELL SNIPER at LVL4, I would definitely take the WIS ASI at LVL8.

So basically what I'm asking is...is there a compelling reason why taking SPELL SNIPER: BOOMING BLADE at LVL4 is a BAD idea?
Since you already have warcaster, BB would be ideal with the shield and hammer combo and IMO would be effective at control. It won't stop enemies, but it will both up your weapon damage and cause them to take more if they move. Furrther it does this both on your tunr and as a reaction. If you hit him on your turn and he moves he takes 1d8 extra, if you get another AOO against him he takes 1d8 more. At 5th level that goes up to 2d8 each when he moves plus an extra 1d8 on the hits themselves. Compared to Sentinel at 5th level this is 6d8 more damage if he moves vs not allowing him to move at all. You could also get maximum damage on some of those dice (with no save) through your channel divinity.

Also with your 6th level feature you will be able to hit with booming blade and push the enemy 10 feet away. This means when you hit on your turn they will not take the extra 2d8 damage for movement, but means they are stuck after you move them and they can't move closer on their turn without taking it. Again you would have the option to max that damage with channel divinity.

I think Sentinel is an option, but I don't think it is as good in this situation though because you lose a lot of damage. Also if you are taking sentinel but do not have pole arm master I would use the hammer when using Sentinel, as it will be easier to get an AOO.

The Glaive reach covers a larger area, but that is actually not great when it comes to an AOO. An enemy has to actually leave your reach to trigger the AOO. If you are playing on a grid your glaive covers a 5x5 box. That means there are 24 different squares he can move to without drawing an AOO (not including the one you are standing on. Put yourself in a 10 foot wide halway with an enemy 15 feet away and he can use 25 feet of movement to walk right by you without dawing an AOO at all. In a 30x30 room if you are in the center of it with a Glaive, a bad guy can attack annyone else in that room without drawing an AOO from you (assumming he has enough movement to get to them). PAM changes this by enabling AOO when they enter range, which essentially gives you a free turn, but that is another feat to add and since you already have warcaster I would go with something that got you booming blade.

PAM notwithstanding, If you really want to make the best use possible out of AOOs with either Sentinel or the warcaster-BB combo I would fight with my hammer and hold(not necessarily use) a whip in my other hand when the geography is such that you want a reach AOO capability. You give up the AC, but now you have a reach weapon and if you are holding a hammer in one hand you can get an AOO with the hammer at 5 feet and with the whip at 10 feet, so you have the best of both worlds.

Finally as far as feat options go, one I would consider is magic initiate wizard (or sorcerer). That gets you booming blade, a second cantrip (shocking grasp?) and a spell. With your build I would get the shield spell.

I think any of these options are better than an ASI IMO.

Last edited:

You're not very strong, so your chance to hit is not that great. If you can get your hands on a strength improving item it might offset.

Booming Blade is a fine, but noisy, spell. Of course, that is part of your entire focus - the flash and bang of thunder and lightning. HOWEVER, it has a 5' range. When you use a polearm with it, they must be adjacent to you, and thus your reach is not benefiting you.

Personally, when I go melee cleric, I am focused on being the pivot around while the battle takes place. I push to the center of the battlefield and try to manage how PCs and enemies move around me. I'm more interested in control than damage. To that end, Sentinel or Polearm Master would be of interest to me as a PC - but again, only if I am strong enough.
Thank you...the "REALLY obvious" thing I was missing was the BB 5ft range. Appreciate the feed back

R_J_K75

Legend
Im currently playing a 4th lvl Tempest Cleric and decided to take the spell sniper feat instead of the ASI. Just gave my character more range (figuratively) than a boring ASI. As I started at 4th and have only played the PC for a few sessions Im still getting used to him. Think I took shocking grasp as the bonus cantrip but havent really come across where I needed to double a spells range yet or ignore cover.

Since you already have warcaster, BB would be ideal with the shield and hammer combo and IMO would be effective at control. It won't stop enemies, but it will both up your weapon damage and cause them to take more if they move. Furrther it does this both on your tunr and as a reaction. If you hit him on your turn and he moves he takes 1d8 extra, if you get another AOO against him he takes 1d8 more. At 5th level that goes up to 2d8 each when he moves plus an extra 1d8 on the hits themselves. Compared to Sentinel at 5th level this is 6d8 more damage if he moves vs not allowing him to move at all. You could also get maximum damage on some of those dice (with no save) through your channel divinity.

Also with your 6th level feature you will be able to hit with booming blade and push the enemy 10 feet away. This means when you hit on your turn they will not take the extra 2d8 damage for movement, but means they are stuck after you move them and they can't move closer on their turn without taking it. Again you would have the option to max that damage with channel divinity.

I think Sentinel is an option, but I don't think it is as good in this situation though because you lose a lot of damage. Also if you are taking sentinel but do not have pole arm master I would use the hammer when using Sentinel, as it will be easier to get an AOO.

The Glaive reach covers a larger area, but that is actually not great when it comes to an AOO. An enemy has to actually leave your reach to trigger the AOO. If you are playing on a grid your glaive covers a 5x5 box. That means there are 24 different squares he can move to without drawing an AOO (not including the one you are standing on. Put yourself in a 10 foot wide halway with an enemy 15 feet away and he can use 25 feet of movement to walk right by you without dawing an AOO at all. In a 30x30 room if you are in the center of it with a Glaive, a bad guy can attack annyone else in that room without drawing an AOO from you (assumming he has enough movement to get to them). PAM changes this by enabling AOO when they enter range, which essentially gives you a free turn, but that is another feat to add and since you already have warcaster I would go with something that got you booming blade.

PAM notwithstanding, If you really want to make the best use possible out of AOOs with either Sentinel or the warcaster-BB combo I would fight with my hammer and hold(not necessarily use) a whip in my other hand when the geography is such that you want a reach AOO capability. You give up the AC, but now you have a reach weapon and if you are holding a hammer in one hand you can get an AOO with the hammer at 5 feet and with the whip at 10 feet, so you have the best of both worlds.

Finally as far as feat options go, one I would consider is magic initiate wizard (or sorcerer). That gets you booming blade, a second cantrip (shocking grasp?) and a spell. With your build I would get the shield spell.

I think any of these options are better than an ASI IMO.
Many thanks for the advice. Still getting my head around AOO/movement rules. This helps a lot.

Remove ads