D&D 5E Tempted to come back

reelo

Hero
Hi. Even though I must have created the account on these boards quite some time ago, I've never been much of a poster. Recently I've been reading a bit about 5e and I must say I'm tempted to try it.

When I was at university I played D&D regularly (3.5 Oriental Adventures/L5R mix) but when I quit, 4e was about to be released and I've never gotten into it, both for the lack of interest on my part (didn't like what I read about that edition) and because I didn't have time or the opportunity to play with people.

There were certain things about 3.5 I didn't like (even though I have fond memories) like the sheer number of minmaxing options, illogical skills etc. I got the PF Core Rules which seemed to adress most of the gripes I had with 3.5. It really seemed like the better D&D. But it looks like Paizo is doing the same thing WotC is doing: pumping out book after book filled with more special rules, feats, spells, classes, etc.
But I like what I gatheted about 5e so far: streamlined, less magic, smaller numbers,...

I'm really thinking about buying the books and getting together a group (though I'm not keen on DMing but i know I might have to)

Now, the most important question would be the setting: I like(d) the Realms as they were during 3.5 but I despise what happened since. Never really liked Eberron. Greyhawk seems to be nice but I don't know nearly enough about it. What I'd like is a fantasy setting without 100 demihuman races, moderately magic, not too steampunk (Eberron would be an example of what I'd call Steampunk)
I remember I had (still have) a 3.5 sourcebook about the Silver Marches (Realms) which is really what I dig.
Is there anything on the horizon which might auit me?

Grimstaff

Explorer
Hey Reelo!

One of the strengths of 5e is that you can use pretty much anything with minimal conversion effort, so use those Silver Marches all you want!

For my game, I'm using Paizo's Golarion and the Rise of the Runelords AP, everyone's having the best gaming experience in years.

the Jester

Legend
Conversion to 5e really is a snap. You can run almost any older D&D material pretty much as-is, just swapping in the new stat blocks, as long as you're careful about magic items (the old +5 weapon or +6 artifact is now a +3 weapon).

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Hey Reelo!

One of the strengths of 5e is that you can use pretty much anything with minimal conversion effort, so use those Silver Marches all you want!

For my game, I'm using Paizo's Golarion and the Rise of the Runelords AP, everyone's having the best gaming experience in years.
Ditto this, and some XP for Reelo. Also, WotC has just put out the old Greyhawk setting in PDF format, which you might want to take a look at. (Just hop to the front page and scroll down a bit.)

Nebulous

Legend
You can use that old FR Silver Marches sourcebook, i have that one, and yes, it was great. Super evocative. All you need to change is stat blocks and have an idea of how encounters work vs. the older versions, but it's not that tricky to do. Welcome back!

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Recently I've been reading a bit about 5e and I must say I'm tempted to try it.
Don't do it. It's a trap.

The Basic 5E rules are free here: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

The community is reinvigorated and EN World is full of interesting and inspiring threads.

All the older material is pretty easy to convert.

In short, it's free and tons of fun. It will eat up your time at no material cost. Your imagination will soar and your pulse will race. You and your friends will have hours of enjoyment.

Now sit back down and get back to work. I need those TPS reports by the end of the day.

painted_klown

First Post
Hey Reelo!

I am currently playing Pathfinder and the GM is running us through Rise of the Runelords, and I have to say it is a LOT of fun. Our group is all experienced players (and experienced GM) with me being the only new comer to RPGs.

The cool thing about RotRL is that it seems to give us endless options of what we can do. We have had multiple times already where the party split up, once we even split up 3 ways. We had two of us exploring a factory, while another 2 went to visit an NPC, and the fifth player stayed in town at the bar.

The GM handled everything very well and everyone had a great time doing what they wanted to do.

Admittedly, I may be a bit overenthusiastic, as this (Pathfinder) is the first RPG I have ever played, but I can honestly say that I am always excited to get back at it in our next session.

I am looking forward to getting started on D&D 5E. Our first session is scheduled for a couple weeks from now. :)

reelo

Hero
Thanks for the welcomes and positive comments! Let me add that I've read through the Runelords campaign and I must say I was very impressed...

HEEGZ

First Post
I just want to add how great 5e is. It runs smoothly, is very easy to adapt older material for, and the game just runs really well. For your Silver Marches/Realms question, you should be just fine. Run the Realms and just make it your own. I will echo the advice to download the basic rules. Note that there are two .pdfs for this, the basic rules of how to play and a basic rules for DMs, including monsters. Buy the D&D 5e Starter Set, which has a fantastic and fun adventure, and download both basic .pdf documents. From these you should have a very good idea if you want to invest in 5e. The starter set is only $12 on Amazon and includes a set of dice. You can't go wrong!

Hollow Man

Explorer
Buy the D&D 5e Starter Set, which has a fantastic and fun adventure, and download both basic .pdf documents. From these you should have a very good idea if you want to invest in 5e. The starter set is only $12 on Amazon and includes a set of dice. You can't go wrong!

Getting the Starter Set dice and a sizable, good adventure for only $12 is a ridiculously good deal. If you want your money's worth, that's how to get it.

-HM

Remove ads