D&D 5E (+)The 5e Bard Doesn't Feel Right. Help Me Fix It?

What I really hate about Bardic Inspiration is it quickly became a pool of "generic bonus dice for whatever the designer wants." The worst offenders are College of Swords and College of Whispers, which let you expend a BI die on a hit for bonus damage. Swords is a bonus to damage and your AC, and Whispers is just a big bonus to damage.

Replace Bardic Inspiration with something like Channel Divinity: A short-rest ability that has a variety of options, but can only be used once per rest (twice at high level).

So, e.g.

Song of Courage: +CHA to your allies' attack rolls
Song of Protection: +CHA to your allies' AC
Song of Antimagic: +CHA to your allies' saves.

Or whatever.

Last edited:

Thinking on that bard cantrip I mentioned earlier, seemed like a good idea to write it up for 5e as an example of what I'm talking about:

Inspire Courage
cantrip enchantment
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous
With your words or a song you encourage an ally to strike. Choose one friendly creature within range to target with this spell. The next time the target hits with an attack, that attack deals extra damage equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1). The number of creatures you can effect with spell increases to 2 when you reach 5th level, 3 at 11th level, and 4 at 17th level.

This simple cantrip lets a bard buff each round, but is in line with other cantrips.
Boosting damage seemed the most 5e approach. It could instead grant a small bonus to attacks; anything higher than +1 is probably broken. Ditto AC.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
It seems a bit light on the damage.

Also, extra damage doesn't feel courageous. I'd want a bonus for that bravery. I'd lean towards a +CHA modifier to AC for the round. It's weaker than Shield, and similar to Resistance.

Shiroiken

Legend
I honestly wish the Bard had been a half caster, expanding the bardic and combat abilities to make up the difference. To me they should start with medium armor proficiency and a few fighting style options (I'd go with TWF, Duelist, and Defense), being the warrior poets of legend.

Level 1 - Bardic Inspiration (1d6), Jack of All Trades
Level 2 - Fighting Style, Song of Rest (1d6), Spellcasting Lv1
Level 3 - Subclass Feature, Expertise (2 skills/tools), Font of Inspiration
Level 4 - Ability Score Improvement
Level 5 - Bardic Inspiration (1d8), Countercharm, Magical Secrets (2 Spells), Spellcasting Lv 2
Level 6 - Extra Attack, Expertise (3 Skills/Tools), Song of Rest (1d8)
Level 7 - Subclass Feature, Words of Valor
Level 8 - Ability Score Improvement
Level 9 - Spellcasting Lv 3, Magical Secrets (4 Spells)
Level 10 - Bardic Inspiration (1d10), Expertise (4 Skills/Tools)
Level 11 - New Ability, Song of Rest (1d10)
Level 12 - Ability Score Improvement
Level 13 - Magical Secrets (6 Spells), Spellcasting Lv 4
Level 14 - Subclass Feature, Bardic Inspiration (1d12)
Level 15 - Improved Words of Valor, Song of Rest (1d12)
Level 16 - Ability Score Improvement
Level 17 - Magical Secrets (8 Spells), Spellcasting Level 5
Level 18 - New Ability
Level 19 - Ability Score Improvement
Level 20 - Superior Inspiration

This is something more of what I'd like to see. The loss of primary spells does make them weaker, but they get quite a few of their abilities earlier than normal to make up for it. I moved Font of Inspiration back to level 3, because Bardic Inspiration would be the class's defining feature (which it already is). They pick up extra attack, but a level behind true warriors (I might actually consider moving it higher, but YMMV). They get more Magical Secrets, but with fewer and lower spells, this becomes more of a versatility option.

I've thought of a good ability that seems very "Bardic," which is similar to the Inspiring Leader feat (a common Feat for Bards IME). Basically you can spend 1 Minute to inspire a number of creatures equal to your Charisma modifier, then spend a Bardic Inspiration to give them that many Temporary HP. At level 15 you can double the number of targets and roll your Inspiration die twice for the number of THP. I honestly don't know how good this would be, as HP are really good, but you don't get that much. However, with short rest recovery of Inspiration, it can be done repeatedly. It isn't as good as the Feat (obviously), but it's shorter and has little/no opportunity cost.

There's 2 spots for new abilities that I can't think of. I considered at one point doubling the number of inspiration, but that feels it might be too powerful.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
With some discussion about bard abilities beign rituals, I'd like to suggest that whatever combat role this new bard does, they have actions that they feel like they can contribute in a "bardic" way every round.

It seems a bit light on the damage.
Not really.
A bard might have a Charisma of 16-20, so this is adding 3-5 damage. A cantrip typically does 1d6 to 1d10 damage, which is also 3-5 damage. And by scaling the number of allies it can effect, the damage also keeps scale.
It's not comparable to cantrip damage when the caster can add their ability modifier, but only a few subclasses get that and it can be limited.

Also, extra damage doesn't feel courageous. I'd want a bonus for that bravery. I'd lean towards a +CHA modifier to AC for the round. It's weaker than Shield, and similar to Resistance.
When you hit 20 Charisma, it's the same as shield.
Only it doesn't use a spell slot, can be used at-will, affects other creatures, and is usable at range. And the fighter with an AC of 18 can benefit and walk around with an AC of 22 at low levels.
Which also makes it better than shield of faith.

That's super broken.
Anything giving bonuses to attacks and ACs probably needs to be gated behind a limited resource.

There's 2 spots for new abilities that I can't think of. I considered at one point doubling the number of inspiration, but that feels it might be too powerful.

One idea might be fascinating people. Making them distracted and almost hypnotized by the bard. Possibly giving them disadvantage to future enchantments by the bard.

Distracting Song. Cause people to loose concentration with a song. Or make a check. (DC 10 or half the result of the bard's Charisma (Performance) check, whichever is higher.)

Plus ribbons.
I think the bard could use a little more roleplaying/ interaction and exploration based features.

From the spell I posted, something boosting movement speed might be neat, even if just overland. Maybe recovering an extra level of exhaustion after a long rest. "Lullaby".
(Being able to make creatures fall asleep might also be a neat semi-offensive power.)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Just an update on this:
I just got my hand on the playtest packet for the classes during the D&Dnext, I think you'd like it.
It has spell-less songs that work as a party wide buff, each bard starts with 2 but gains other.
The valor bard is very to close to a warlord, with help-action-as-part-of-an-attack, rallying word, ally coordination etc.
Its also an 1/2 caster with extra attack at 8th and in-class Battle Magic.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Just an update on this:
I just got my hand on the playtest packet for the classes during the D&Dnext, I think you'd like it.
It has spell-less songs that work as a party wide buff, each bard starts with 2 but gains other.
The valor bard is very to close to a warlord, with help-action-as-part-of-an-attack, rallying word, ally coordination etc.
Its also an 1/2 caster with extra attack at 8th and in-class Battle Magic.
Dude yes that sounds excellent.

Remove ads