• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General The Art and the Artist: Discussing Problematic Issues in D&D

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Do people even have a formal responsibility to be inclusive?

In my heart I know that the reason that WotC/Paizo are prioritizing inclusivity is because the market demands it, not because it has inherent value to them. Let's not get things twisted about what motivates a corporation with shareholders. So, let's not pretend that if the zeitgeist was going the other way that WotC wouldn't follow.
One of the nice things about todays market is its lead, sometimes, by grassroots movements and people get what they want. Though, you are probably right that they would have no motivation otherwise. Do you find the attempts not genuine enough?

Do people even have a formal responsibility to be inclusive?
Whose responsibility is it to solve this problem?
There are no responsibilities, formal or otherwise . This as entirely at-will hobby and corporations that produce leisure material. It all boils down to how one wishes to be seen, what you want others to think of you, or what you want to think of yourself/what you want to do.

In my heart I know that the reason that WotC/Paizo are prioritizing inclusivity is because the market demands it, not because it has inherent value to them. Let's not get things twisted about what motivates a corporation with shareholders. So, let's not pretend that if the zeitgeist was going the other way that WotC wouldn't follow.
Or they might actually be trying to be good people and grow as organizations. Even for-profit organizations are capable of taking moral stands (I doubt it with a corporation as large as Hasbro, but it could happen).

Cadence

Legend
Supporter

I want to say that several of the high-up creators have been pushing for more inclusivity for quite a while, on their twitter accounts, for example. While that may not have gotten corporate to allow pushing for it if it was a money loser, it feels like it would make a difference in how it was done. Especially if they did it in ways that didn't particularly rise to corporates notice (as long as the $$$ kept coming in).

Filthy Lucre

Adventurer
This is easier for some people to say than others, isn't it?
No - I very much believe it is a self-evident fact. The 'weak' are keenly aware of what they must endure and what they're powerful enough to change.

It might be more convenient for some people than others, but it is not less true because of it.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
The strong do what they will, the weak endure what they must ¯\(ツ)
Said the general who slaughtered an entire island of unarmed civilians who had already surrendered. If that's truly and accurately a reflection of your moral center, rather than just a flippant dismissal, then I genuinely worry about you.

I will add that this cynical worldview has gotten fairly rare in this day and age, for the good of all of us quite frankly.
I'm not sure how you're going to enforce those responsibilities
It's not about enforcement. It's about convincing people what the right thing is, and then convincing them to do it.

Filthy Lucre

Adventurer
Said the general who slaughtered an entire island of unarmed civilians who had already surrendered. If that's truly and accurately a reflection of your moral center, rather than just a flippant dismissal, then I genuinely worry about you.
This is such an irritating thing to say. I made a statement that I believe to be true. I did not say that I believe that it is GOOD that it's true or that it morally licenses any behavior. Try and not read into statements.
I will add that this cynical worldview has gotten fairly rare in this day and age, for the good of all of us quite frankly.
I don't really think it's a world view so much as an observation. If you do not have power to change your circumstances, then you must endure them. Are you saying that statement is false?

If I'm being robbed and I don't have the ability to prevent it... then I have to endure it.
It's not about enforcement. It's about convincing people what the right thing is, and then convincing them to do it.
That's what I meant. Enforcement/encouragement/affect, etc.

Remove ads