D&D General The Art and the Artist: Discussing Problematic Issues in D&D

MGibster

Legend
Part of why I'm leery of "product of our time" arguments is that comments like this are completely ahistorical. Of course people were saying things like this in the 70's; they just were the types of folks that white people never listened to.

They're not completely ahistorical though. There may very well have been people saying these things, but they weren't part of the mainstream discussion. And because those voices weren't part of the mainstream discussion, it would have been unusual to hear that someone should have collaborated with people of color while working on D&D. The creators of and audience for role playing games was a lot less diverse back in the 70s than it is now.

Lyxen

Great Old One
The heart of this debate is over whether it is or not. A lot of people feel mountains are being made of nothing on this front

Indeed, all of that for two races out of the hundreds in the game, and one of which not even being due to D&D depictions. Also, this thread is not specifically about that, but about other potential problems within the game, although my perspective is that they are all extremely small compared to the scope of the game and the overall acceptance that I've ever seen from the community playing it everywhere I've played on the planet, a much greater acceptance that I've actually seen either in my professional and personal life, including in other associative/friendly circles.

Without denying that there are problems in some of the D&D publications, can we please have a rational look at this, and maintain it to the proper level, rather than seemingly hanging the very survival of the game on, overall, problems which can be serious but are extremely limited in scope ?

Scribe

Legend
I mean...it has feathers, it quacks, it waddles when it walks, it lays eggs, it hangs out in the water a lot...
...are you sure it isn't a duck?
The common phrase you are alluding to, would imply you think the game is a racism simulator, and no, I dont agree.

Because folks work really hard to keep it inclusive!
Mmm nope? I dont see racism in my core 3 books. Or most of the other books I have bought for D&D.

(Outside of some poor language in Strahd and volo's)

But its a tiresome line of discussion thats overplayed here, so no thanks.

Filthy Lucre

Adventurer
The real-real argument here is what matters more: People's perception, (real or imagined), of offensive material or being able to actually deduce whether or not something is offensive in and of itself.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Mmm nope? I dont see racism in my core 3 books. Or most of the other books I have bought for D&D.

(Outside of some poor language in Strahd and volo's)

But its a tiresome line of discussion thats overplayed here, so no thanks.
There are many people on this board who are transparent in their work to produce and publish D&D content that is inclusive. WotC is being transparent in their efforts to take D&D in a more inclusive direction. The art direction of 5e started with a ton of diversity and has continued in that trend.

Whether you see racism in D&D or not, there are a lot of cool people out there working hard to make D&D an inclusive game.

Scribe

Legend
There are many people on this board who are transparent in their work to produce and publish D&D content that is inclusive. WotC is being transparent in their efforts to take D&D in a more inclusive direction. The art direction of 5e started with a ton of diversity and has continued in that trend.

Whether you see racism in D&D or not, there are a lot of cool people out there working hard to make D&D an inclusive game.
And this is well and good, but not a single thing you have said here, has anything to do with D&D being a 'racism simulator.'

Remove ads