The Batman (spoilers)

GreyLord

Legend
Finally saw it last week. It started a little weak for me, but it grows on you. It is different. I can see it as iconic for this generation. Basically this generation's Batman (89) or Dark Knight. I like it a LOT better than Dark Knight.

Had some kids (kids being a relative term, late teens early twenties) with me. Two of them thought it overly long and that it kept going and going. The other two loved it.

Ace

Adventurer
All this. But also... this is the movie that shows Batman having some vulnerability. Be it when talking to catwoman an having 0 moves (he looks like an insecure kid asking the popular girl out to the dance) or being scared shitless when he thinks the riddler discovered who he was.
I have not yet seen the movie so this is more Batsy in general

It makes sense that his social skills other than scary would be weak . Batman is as crazy as his rogues . Also while the comics call his disguise "millionaire playboy" this never made sense to me. Its too time consuming to be Batman . He's more the crepy reclusive billionaire type as he doesn't have the time or energy to schmooze or hobnob.

FWIW we see a shade of this in the animated Justice League where Wonder Women quips "No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time."

Its more cuts into his prep time but yeah.

The truth Bruce is badly broken and wants to beat up his PTSD and trauma when in reality he'd be better off with a shrink

Anyway once I get a chance I am going to have to catch this movie as it looks pretty decent and as I rarely see movies , it might be a nice change.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
It does make sense that someone who goes to such lengths to become a Vengeance Monster would actually have rather truncated social skills. In a way, this Bruce Wayne is a younger version of Michael Keating's Batman. I think the 3 movie arc will be Bruce learning how to become his playboy persona, and how to use it best for his crime and heroic obsessions.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
It does make sense that someone who goes to such lengths to become a Vengeance Monster would actually have rather truncated social skills. In a way, this Bruce Wayne is a younger version of Michael Keating's Batman. I think the 3 movie arc will be Bruce learning how to become his playboy persona, and how to use it best for his crime and heroic obsessions.
Yes to this. Early on, it's made clear that Bruce is not attending (and does not care about) Wayne Enterprises board meetings, and is burning through his wealth. As @This Effin’ GM pointed out here he has no game with Selina. At the mayor's funeral, when he gets out of the car the paparazzi react like he is rarely seen in public. The new mayor tells him he could do more for Gotham with philanthropy.

It has been said that Batman is the real identity, and Bruce Wayne is the mask. In this film we see him learning that not only does he need to stand for more than vengeance, but Bruce Wayne (and his wealth) can also be useful and valuable, and they need to be maintained/developed.

Last edited:

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
It has been said that Batman is the real identity, and Bruce Wayne is the mask. In this film we see him learning that not only does he need to stand for more than vengeance, but Bruce Wayne (and his wealth) can also be useful and valuable, and they need to be maintained/developed.

I fully expect the inevitable sequel to at least briefly focus on the Reconstruction Fund and Bruce taking control of it and renaming it to something like the Martha Wayne Charity.

Stalker0

Legend
Just saw the movie, absolutely loved it. I really liked the Batman Begins trilogy, but in some ways this is the better Batman.

1) In an era of fast nonstop cuts, I give the movie props for actually taking time to breathe with the scenes. I actually feel like Batman is moving through this city instead of just zipping around everywhere (cut cut cut action action action).

2) Loved Catwoman, she is probably the most realistic version of the character to date. You could actually believe this is a real person. Sexy, badass yet vulnerable, clearly independent while equally clearly into Bats, yeah just nailed it.

3) Pattinson impressed me. The physical acting was awesome, but man there are a couple of amazing acting moments. There is a moment early in the movie where he sees a kid whose dad just dies. You can actually see the tear forming in one of his eyes through the mask, just a bit. But...perfect portrayal of a Batman looking in that kid's eyes and instantly replying his own trauma in his head. Overall, he's not my favorite Batman but I really like his Bruce Wayne, awkward, ethereal, someone who is clearly out of touch with things and lives in his own reality. Then the scene towards the end when a mook says "I'm vengeance" and you can just see Batman's world is rocked. He realizes what he has inspired, what he has truly done, and the disgust is just visceral.

4) Got to give props to the Riddler.....he actually succeeded in his master plan...for the most part. Though he may not yet get the fame he so desired, he ultimately flushed the city and Falcone. Also I really appreciate that the super smart Riddler actually figured out Batman's identity, but realizes that unmasking him serves no point...because Batman is actually part of the solution, just like "he is"

5) I appreciated the "invincible armor" of Batman. Though its unrealistic from a tech standpoint, its much more realistic in explaining how Batman can actually stand up to these hordes of goons with guns. Simply put....he's nigh indestructible to most handguns and rifles, and seems like he can take a small bomb alright as well. So Batman can be slow and methodical, he doesn't have to be an ultra fast ninja that somehow dodges bullets....he just takes them off his invincible armor and never stops. The scenes where you see a guy shoot him, and he just keeps moving forward...I mean its terrifying and awesome!

6) Hehe one of my few gripes with the movie....the cowl's nose just looked weird. Its basically this one patch of leather folder on his nose and stitched in, and it just looked weird to me

Probably my favorite scene in the whole movie is near the end when Batman is out there with the firefighters and medics, just helping people after the crisis. In that one scene we get a huge character shift for him, having just seen what his "Vengeance" focused narrative has done to the city, he realizes that the biggest thing he can do, is not inspire fear in the shadows, but inspire hope in the light. Batman is at that moment, just a guy, just like all the other people there....and in doing so, his symbol grows more to the people of Gotham than in the last two years prior.

Last edited:

Remove ads