The Batman (spoilers)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I loved it. So much to like. Watching Bruce after he dedicated a decade or more to learning how to take down bad guys and watching him realize “oops, I might have forgotten a few things like what Wayne brings to the table over Batman” or “I should have tested the flight suit first” or “wait I need to know Spanish?” We’re honestly some of my favorite ever Batman moments.

I don’t want to see “Batman: the god” anymore I’m getting tired of that. Show me Batman telling Jim Gordon “no guns” and Jim just brushing him off because he’s a clueless brawler in head to toe bullet proof armor, man. Show me Batman stumbling over what to say to a girl he is attracted to but not knowing how to switch off detective observation mode and sputter “you have a lot of cats”. Show me him diving into a flooded coliseum because he doesn’t know what to do but he knows he has to do something more than punch guys.

I loved this film.
I feel like Bale and Keaton did most of that stuff.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I went into it half-expecting to not like it, but I really liked it.

The trailers portrayed it all as too sullen for my tastes, and it is a pretty sombre film, but artfully so, I think.

I really liked how when Pattinson's Batman isn't fighting, he's slow, methodical, and non-reactive (he barely reacts to criticism or threats, for instance).

The movie doesn't stress this, but there's a strong thread in there about the man who was a traumatized boy searching desperately for a way to help another traumatized boy, and how events move him from wanting to help that boy to wanting to help everyone. He goes from a closed-off obsessiveness to a more open acceptance that really transform the way he approaches things. He'll be a better Batman for it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I really like Pattinson as Batman. You feel the anger and frustration behind his crusade in a way that other actors really did not showcase. He's smaller than the other actors who played Batman before, but he feels even more intimidating than even Bale did in the role.
He’s taller than Bale, Clooney, or Keaton. Same height as Kilmer. The only taller Batman actor is Affleck.

Davies

Legend
After so many action movies that I thought were too fast-moving, it's interesting to watch one that I think is too slow and ponderous. It's not as bad as I expected it to be, but far from great. That said, I thought all the actors involved were really giving it their all, with a special distinction for Colin Farrell's amazing take on the Penguin. I especially like his last scene, where in contrast to what the mayor is saying about the underworld exploiting the disaster, he just looks more apprehensive about this brave new world that he's inherited than anything else.

I also give the filmmakers points for not showing the Wayne murders yet again, despite their importance to the plot, and for preserving their ambiguity. But I really can't stand that they brought HIM into this already crowded film ...

Remove ads