TSR The Beginning: 1968 and Meeting Gary Gygax and the Gygax Family

Roughly two years before Luke Gygax was born I walked through the front door of the Gygax residence at 330 Center Street in Lake Geneva. This was at the invite of Gary through his gamer friend and a very recent acquaintance of mine, Larry Zirk. Very few people from that time know of Larry Zirk, so I will tell the story of our meeting and how that would, soon thereafter, lead me to Gary's doorstep.

Note from Morrus -- this is the first in a series of monthly articles by TSR veteran Rob Kuntz. Don't forget to also check out the monthly columns by
Jim Ward, Ed Greenwood, and Jonathan Tweet!

Larry lived on the same side of the street, two properties down Center, from Gary's residence--a 1 minute walk between. He worked as an assistant manager at Schultz Bros. Co. variety store (a regional chain encompassing 5 states that ended in 1988) on Main Street adjacent to the Clair Hotel (the latter which was purchased by TSR prior to its move there from the Williams & Marshall Street location).

It is worth noting, as an aside, that Shultz Bros. was one of two "dime stores" that Gary would later frequent in his search for toy figures to use as fantastical creatures for his Chainmail Fantasy supplemental rules; and that I accompanied him on a great number of those forays, then, as it was (solely) him and myself who had locally (Jeff Perren who lived in Rockford, IL had his own collection) invested in 40mm Elastolin miniatures to play-test the original Chainmail rules (first occurrence of the rules being 1970, Geneva Medieval Miniatures rules, Perren & Gygax, in Panzerfaust Vol. V., #1).

Back to meeting Gary via Larry.

My (single) mother had been institutionalized August of 1968. Prior to that my brother had been placed in foster care. My Aunt Minnie traveled from Delevan (7 miles away) every weekend to see to my extended needs while the upstair's neighbors, a young, married and pretty liberal couple, saw to my immediate needs. I went to school and pretty much came home. As I had a key to their apartment I would often be there by myself.

One day while awaiting their arrival I began flipping through their stack of magazines, which included issues of Playboy. After perusing the usual in the November issue of Playboy I finally settled on a pictorial Christmas game list of many offerings. One caught my eye: The Dogfight board game (WW1 air combat) by Milton Bradley. I already had their Battle Cry (American Civil War) that my brother and I had played and enjoyed so I (naturally) wanted this new game!
#1 Nov 1968 PB.jpg
So when my aunt showed up about a week in advance of my upcoming birthday in September, I immediately asked (i.e., "begged") to visit the stores in search of said game. Off we went to Shultz Bros. (first stop).

#2SchultzBrosw:notice.jpg

The assistant manager, a young, black-haired gentleman, attended us as we perused their game section. Not finding Dogfight we inquired about it. They didn't have the game but he suggested another one on the shelf, Jutland by Avalon Hill, a WW1 naval battle game. He then noted that he and others gathered nearby on Center Street to play these games at Gary Gygax's house; and that if I wanted to learn them then he'd give me his own telephone number and arrange for a visit to do so. I looked at my Aunt Minnie. She considered for a while and then agreed and phone numbers were exchanged. Fate could have swung the opposite way but it had not. Before departing, Larry--for this was indeed Larry Zirk--noted that there was one other place in town that carried these games and he gave us directions to it. Since I had not been interested in purchasing Jutland, off we went

#3JutlandBoxFront.jpg

Second stop was a very small variety store on Wells Street near the Dairy Queen--the Jack in the Box--whereat we located and bought AH's Afrika Korps (WW2 combat between the Allies and Germans in North Africa).

Later, with my pre-birthday gift secured (and with all thoughts of Dogfight permanently grounded), I rang Larry to tell him of the purchase and to thank him; and he suggested I read the rules and study the game (for what would turn out to take 1-2 weeks) and he'd call back. During our second call he inquired about my progress with the game and I stated that there was more to it than Battle Cry but that I was not giving up fully understanding it.

Larry stated that he had arranged for me to visit the aforementioned Gary Gygax who would show me how to play these games. He noted that it was up to me and also said that he lived nearby and once off work he would pop by to see how it was going. I agreed to an upcoming weekend meet-up without pause. I really wanted to crack this game!

So on a Saturday in mid-October, 1968 this recently turned 13 year old walked in the afternoon sun to Gary’s house, a mere three blocks away. I was ushered into his residence by Gary and introduced to Bill Hoyer (then the International Federation of Wargaming’s president and who was living in Chicago; and a future TSR/RPGA employee). Both of them had been busy setting up the game Afrika Korps on a card table in the living room. I excitedly exclaimed (not knowing, then, that Larry had informed them of my purchase of same), “Hey! I have Afrika Korps too!’ Unfortunately I pronounced ‘Korps’ as ‘corpse’.

#4Afrika_Korps_game.jpg

Gary chuckled as Bill grinned along, “Hah! It’s not a “corpse” yet.” They then explained the word differences to me and further instructed me to watch a game of it being played between them. And so I was hooked...

I left Gary’s before Larry arrived so he called me later to ask me how it had gone. After describing my meeting he suggested that him and I play a game of it at his house. I agreed, but school got in the way of that meet-up until mid-November... And then I was finally playing the game; and I was playing the Germans led by Rommel who I had been reading up on in our family encyclopedia set.

Sometime during the game Gary arrived. It was Lake Geneva’s first seasonal snow and he wore a thick, dark coat and what appeared to be a black ushanka-hat, both flecked with new snow.

After gauging the play between us Gary suggested that he teach me a little by making a move on my behalf. Larry and I assented and Gary proceeded to deftly and quickly move the German chits. Upon finishing he had isolated and surrounded the city of Tobruk (a major German objective). Larry cleared his throat, “That’s enough help...” Gary laughed lightly in response. Gary finally bade us good night and left; and we soon wrapped up my learning under fire experience.

Larry would soon be gone from this circle. He married a fine woman and moved away and his gaming diminished prior to that move and we saw less and less of him.

But for a precocious kid seemingly lost it turned out to be the opposite--instead of “The End” it was “The Beginning”. I continued to accept Gary’s invites to come over and play games and I soon became part of the Gygax family. Which begs a question: How can one truly be lost when surrounded by such wonderful serendipity and the good people associated with it?

© 2019. Robert J. Kuntz. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited:

Robert J. Kuntz

Robert J. Kuntz

TSR Veteran

I'm just impressed that a 13-year-old boy ever got past Playboy magazine. :D

Hah! All that adult stuff, cars, scotch, hotels, vacations, the glitz, the women. Lake Geneva had a Playboy Club by May 1968 and Lake Geneva was called "Little Chicago". But even with all the hub-bub I thrived on the games, outdoor activities, etc. and lived across from the school and 2 blocks from the public library and the lake. Lake Geneva was a magical City and in many respects still is.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Interesting stuff.

Totally side note, and meant without the slightest hint of judgement, it's funny how different things are now. Could you imagine a 13 year old going to an adult man's home to play games? Never minding leaving a 13 year old largely unsupervised? This is stuff that just would not happen anymore.

I think, sadly, that abuse was just as prevalent then, but the awareness was far less. Ignorance was bliss. It's fortunate though that Rob met a decent man and had some nurturing adults around him in what must have been a very challenging and confusing time.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think, sadly, that abuse was just as prevalent then, but the awareness was far less. Ignorance was bliss. It's fortunate though that Rob met a decent man and had some nurturing adults around him in what must have been a very challenging and confusing time.

In 90s it was similar to Robs experience in LG.

I think the stranger danger thing was overated family and family friends were the main danger.

Media sensationalism doesn't help. In the 80s we rode our BMXs 10kms down the coast to next town and went swimming at the beach age 9 or 10.

The actual odds of 80s "stranger danger" was slim to none.

We could hunt, fish, find berries etc very young age. We were in Cub scouts as well, but most had pocket knives, learning to swim at school was mandatory.
Now you have to be 14 to babysit lol. Had a Maori friend we just ate shell fish off the rocks if you're Hungary enough. Fresh oysters.

Family holidays were out in the wop wops in native bush.

Last edited:

jedijon

Explorer
How did you pronounce Jutland?

:) I’m always curious about when and why pronunciations are Anglicized. Corpse, most likely you’re a kid—with a lot of book learnin’. Deinonychus was that word for me...

How did you pronounce Jutland?

:) I’m always curious about when and why pronunciations are Anglicized. Corpse, most likely you’re a kid—with a lot of book learnin’. Deinonychus was that word for me...

Jutland (/ˈdʒʌtlənd/; Danish: Jylland [ˈjylænˀ]; German: Jütland [ˈjyːtlant]), also known as the Cimbric or Cimbrian Peninsula (Latin: Cimbricus Chersonesus; Danish: Den Kimbriske Halvø or Den Jyske Halvø; German: Kimbrische Halbinsel), is a peninsula of Northern Europe that forms the continental portion of Denmark and part of northern Germany. The names are derived from the Jutes and the Cimbri, respectively.

World War I and Battle of Jutland[

Denmark was neutral throughout the First World War. However, Danes living in North Slesvig, since it was part of the German Empire from 1864 to 1920, were conscripted for the imperial German army. 5000 Danish South Jutlanders are estimated to have fallen in German military service during the War.

The 1916 Battle of Jutland was fought in the North Sea west of Jutland as one of the largest naval battles in history. In this pitched battle, the British Royal Navy engaged the Imperial German Navy, leading to heavy casualties and losses of ships on both sides. The British fleet sustained greater losses, but remained in control of the North Sea, so in strategic terms, most historians regard Jutland either as a British victory or as indecisive.[9] The battle is commemorated and explained at the Sea War Museum Jutland in Thyborøn.

Referring Wiki article: Jutland - Wikipedia

BTW: I went back to Schultz Bros. some time later and purchased that game and thereafter played it with both Gary and Don Kaye, all of which I recall in my building memoirs.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases