• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The best D&D books (Regardless of Edition)

Cadfan

First Post
Heroes of Battle.

It taught me an awful lot about DMing. That wasn't its goal, I know, but it accomplished it. There were two specific things that I really found insightful. First, it discussed using diagrams to help get a handle on somewhat freeform outdoor combat scenarios. The system they suggested was really useful for planning any sort of pseudo-freeform plotline. Second, its advice on how to run massive battles was really great. Build on the diagram system. Have the PCs engage specific foes or scenarios within the context of the larger battlefield, and then have the battle outcome affected by how the PCs fare at their tasks.

Like a lot of DM advice books, the information inside was really obvious once I understood it, and I didn't need the book much once I'd absorbed its lessons. But that's ok, it was worthwhile reading.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

By edition:

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS (1974)
The three core rulebooks are a given so focusing on supplements alone:

SUPPLEMENT I: GREYHAWK
SUPPLEMENT III: ELDRITCH WIZARDRY
plus the entire run of THE STRATEGIC REVIEW

Basic DUNGEONS & DRAGONS
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS (the J. Eric Holmes edit)
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS EXPERT RULES (Dave Cook & Tom Moldvay)
B1 IN SEARCH OF THE UNKNOWN
B2 KEEP ON THE BORDERLANDS

ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS
DUNGEON MASTER'S GUIDE
MONSTER MANUAL
PLAYERS HANDBOOK
S4 LOST CAVERNS OF TSOJCANTH
WG4 THE FORGOTTEN TEMPLE OF THARIZDUN

ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS (2nd edition)
GREYHAWK ADVENTURES

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ("3rd" edition)
DRAGON magazine issue #112, "Maure Castle"

RobJN

Adventurer
Besides the Rules Cyclopedia, I'd add:

DMGR1: Campaign Sourcebook and Catacomb Guide
DMGR5: Creative Campaigning
The Complete Book of Villains

Great advice on plotting, planning, pacing of adventures/campaigns. It really helped me to broaden my focus in adventure writing. There was also some good development advice on alternate uses of dice mechanics and NWPs/ability scores. Math not being my strongest suit, I found the discussion of statistics and probabilities and (more importantly) the applications thereof at the gaming table to be most enlightening.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Agree with:

The first three books (are these a given?)
Supplement I Greyhawk
Supplement III Eldritch Wizardry

“Moldvay” Basic and Expert Sets
B2 Keep on the Borderlands

1E DMG
1E PHB
1E MM
1E Deities and Demigods
1E Manual of the Planes
S4 Lost Caverns Of Tsojcanth (surprised it was mentioned)
WG4 The Forgotten Temple Of Tharizdun (really surprised it was mentioned)

Dragons ~50-100 and the Dragon CD ROM

PO: Combat and Tactics
Encyclopedia Magica

Tome of Horrors
Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe
Dragon magazine issue #112, "Maure Castle"

Would add:

I6 Ravenloft
T1 Village of Hommlet
G1-3 Against the Giants
D1-2 Descent into the Depths

2E Monstrous Manual

3.0 Players Handbook
NeMoren’s Vault

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
For me, the four constants have long been:

Supplement II: Blackmoor
AD&D 1e DMG
Fiend Folio 1e
Rules Cyclopedia (supplanted by Labyrinth Lord recently)

More recently, I added:

Heroes of Horror

That said, Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary is easily the single msot useful RPG book I have ever purchased, insofar as utility is concerned.

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
I'm showing off my edition preference here, but...

Probably Rules Cyclopedia for the win. My absolute favorite D&D book is the Mentzer Expert book. That book was my initiation into "campaigning." I just love it and still revisit it for inspiration. Huh...may as well through the Grand Duchy of Karameikos in there, too.

I know we're talking books here, but I love the original gray FR boxed set, and my current favorite gaming book is the 4e FRCS. I didn't care for FR from the Time of Troubles on (no metaplot & DMPCs, thanks), and 4e gave me back my old favorite setting and somehow made it feel new again.

I mostly skipped 1e (Classic to 2nd) so I'm mostly unfamiliar with the 1e DMG. I found it kinda hard to browse, even, but I'm interested in giving it another look based on what I'm hearing here.

I think I'll give 4e's DMG another peek, too. I really like the setting stuff in there, but I should probably look at the rest.

Great thread!

Benben

First Post
The child in me has to say Unearthed Arcana (1e) because it was the first book I actually owned. Loved it.

But otherwise:

Al-Qadim: My favorite 2e setting. I've been stealing from this book for years.
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3e): I wasn't there for the rules, I was there for the extensive setting information.

Remove ads