• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The best of feats, the worst of feats...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Rogue multi-class. Its an immediate action +2d6 damage as an encounter power, up to 5d6 later on. Not ever useless.

It's usually useless. You need to be using a light blade, crossbow, or sling. Few characters that are not already rogues will be using those weapons.

erik_the_guy

First Post
I'm especially curious about the feats based on action points. Since you can only use action points so rarely, it would seem to me like they are not as useful as the others, but maybe I am mistaken.

As a DM I think these feats are great because they encourage players to reach milestones and continue on with adventuring rather than taking a rest. It's almost like an encounter ability, or a few times a day ability, similar to the wizards wand. Since an action point is likely to be spent on an important action (such as a daily) I think +3 to hit is great.

Improved Second Wind seems unimpressive. Toughness gives +2.5 to your Second Wind at the same level, and +2.5 to all your other surges as well, and you have 10 more HP in the first place.
Feats like Action Surge are actually pretty good. You get an action point every other encounter, so they're used somewhat frequently. And if you're using an action point, it's because you could really use that extra attack or whatever, so having an extra +3 to hit when you need it most is pretty nice.

You have a point. I could see a dwarf taking it, since they get second wind as a minor action, but even then, 10 extra hp makes up for 5 extra healing before you use it. Kind of useless. How about a feat that gives you a bonus second wind each encounter? (Limit one second wind per turn).

I hate the rogue feats that give you some sort of bonus on a critical hit. I don't know about you but usually when I crit it is against an unimportant opponent, and the target dies anyways.
I love the nimble blade feat, +1 to hit with light blades when you have combat advantage. For my rogue this is basically every turn :D.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Also for the action point feats keep in mind that there are powers that give you action points more frequently than just milestones.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads