• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The best of feats, the worst of feats...

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Which 4E feats, in your opinion, are the best, and which are the worst for the heroic, paragon, and epic tiers?

I'm especially curious about the feats based on action points. Since you can only use action points so rarely, it would seem to me like they are not as useful as the others, but maybe I am mistaken.

Ginnel

Explorer
as mentioned above, the human feats as well as, quick draw and sneak attack, expanded dragonbreath

and for rubbish how about the improved dragonsenses or whatever its called, low light vision and +1 feat bonus to perception, also +1 on OA combat reflexes is it?

Doomhawk

First Post
Improved Second Wind seems unimpressive. Toughness gives +2.5 to your Second Wind at the same level, and +2.5 to all your other surges as well, and you have 10 more HP in the first place.
Feats like Action Surge are actually pretty good. You get an action point every other encounter, so they're used somewhat frequently. And if you're using an action point, it's because you could really use that extra attack or whatever, so having an extra +3 to hit when you need it most is pretty nice.

Mr Jack

First Post
Quick draw? I thought Quick draw was an extremely poor choice of feat. Snatching out a weapon is only a minor action anyway so you can draw, move & attack in any case.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Quick draw? I thought Quick draw was an extremely poor choice of feat. Snatching out a weapon is only a minor action anyway so you can draw, move & attack in any case.

That minor action is valuable for other things though, and the flexiblity of switching weapons without losing it is very nice.

pogminky

First Post
Opinion is divided on Quick Draw - I think the jury's still out.
Improved Initiative
Backstabber
Toughness
Durability
Action Surge
The Elven Thing
Human Perseverance

All these are good heroic

Danceofmasks

First Post
Some feats already mentioned are very cool.
A quick mention for halfling feats, 'cos they're made of awesome (and haven't been mentioned)
Some feats I like (specifically great for wizards and fighters, 'cos they're my favourites) ..

Heroic tier:
Hellfire Blood - +1 to hit is made of win ... for a wizard
Armor and/or Shield proficiency - leather especially stands out as a 'must have' for a wizard
Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword) - D10 1-handed weapon, +3 to hit. Did I mention somewhere else that +1 to hit is made of win?
Shield Push - you can be a real bodyguard. They take a swing at your charge, and you can smack 'em, push 'em, and invalidate their attack
Blade Opportunist - mediocre for non-fighters, really ... but when fighters get OAs, they need to make them count.

Paragon Tier:
Spell Focus - Umm, this is probably the scariest feat ... ever.
Back to the Wall - It's frighteningly useful in combination with powers such as tide of iron or come and get it
Shield specialization - scale specialization is nice, but shield bumps 2 defenses. I value +1 reflex a little more than +1 speed.
Heavy Blade Opportunity - okay, so it's only really been useful with tide of iron, but it allows for extra movement when it's not your turn .. after pushing the threat away from the squishy. For a sword and board fighter (and their phenomenal OA hitroll), it can be awesome.
Great Fortitude/Iron Will - seriously, being hit in the fort or will often means loss of actions. Bad bad stuff. Reflex isn't as important, 'cos it's mostly pain which you (should have) planned for regardless.

Epic Tier (haven't actually seen them in action):
Unfettered Stride - okay, sure it requires acrobatics, but ...
Irresistable Flame - well, if you're hooked on hellfire blood ...
(weapon group) Mastery - by this stage, the difference between crit and non-crit should be ... a lot.

There are many more nice feats, such as blind-fight or triumphant attack or toughness .. but nice < awesome.

Remove ads