• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The best of feats, the worst of feats...

Palladion

Adventurer
Quick draw? I thought Quick draw was an extremely poor choice of feat. Snatching out a weapon is only a minor action anyway so you can draw, move & attack in any case.

Draw and drink a potion all as a minor action, instead of a minor to draw and a minor to drink. Gargoyle mentioned switching weapons.

Which 4E feats, in your opinion, are the best, and which are the worst for the heroic, paragon, and epic tiers?

I'm especially curious about the feats based on action points. Since you can only use action points so rarely, it would seem to me like they are not as useful as the others, but maybe I am mistaken.

You can reasonably use an action point every other combat (gain an action point per milestone, approximately every two combats, plus DM fiat). Tactical Assault (PH 201) benefits the whole party on action point usage.

Last edited:

Baumi

Adventurer
Just a short notice about Quick Draw: this enables you to attack in a surprise round if you don't have your weapon ready.

Deltran

First Post
I'll vouch for quickdraw, since it isn't limited to weapons. PCs in a fight can drink a potion with a minor action (vs. using a minor to get the potion and a 2nd minor [read: move action] to drink it). PCs standing on the sideline can get out another piece of equipment and use it in one consolidated action while keeping the rest of their actions for things that could have more impact.

Any ability that can add an extra action to your turn sequence, even if it is only in special cases, should not go unappreciated.

EDIT: Wow, that's the last time I let myself get interrupted when posting. Sorry for the repeat info.

Last edited:

NorthSaber

First Post
There are many I like, and of course your race and class are big factors... That said:

Heroic tier:
The good:
- Armor Proficiency feats (+1 AC with a feat is a pretty good deal for most classes - if you can swing the ability requirements)
- Blade Opportunist (combined with Polearm Gamble and a Glaive, yummy)
- Dwarven Weapon Training and Eladrin Soldier (retrain to Weapon Focus during paragon levels)
- Improved Initiative and Quick Draw
- Lost in the Crowd (this feat alone makes me want to play a halfling)
- All the "initiate" multiclass feats (extra skill AND an extra power, yes please!)
- Toughness (your increased hit points also increase your healing surge value!)

The bad:
- Agile Hunter / Precise Hunter (way too situational)
- Pretty much all Channel Divinity feats (the original abilities of both cleric and paladin are already pretty good)
- Distracting Shield (the only high Wis fighters are the ones with polearms, who can't use shields - huh?)
- Group Insight (aren't half-elves bad enough already?)
- Sure Climber (one of those thematic but generally useless feats)

The interesting:
- I think Powerful Charge has potential. Charging gives you a lot of extra movement and +1 to the attack roll, and Powerful Charge gives +2 to the attack. Even a basic melee attack becomes quite scary!

Paragon tier:
The good:
- Armor Specialization (or, even better, Shield Specialization)
- Danger Sense
- Dwarven Durability
- Hammer Rhythm
- Heavy Blade Opportunity
- Scimitar Dance
- Spell Focus (you really, really want this if you're a wizard)

The bad:
Actually I don't think there are any really bad feats here, but some of them are perhaps too situationally beneficial, like Running Shot or Sweeping Flail. It's obvious that the feats have been designed to specifically cater to certain types of characters, so most are useless to most, but precious to the few.

The interesting:
- Back to the Wall supports strategic gameplay and gets a thumbs-up from me. The bonuses might be situational and minor, but my longspear-fighter will surely try to get those bonuses whenever she can!
- Combat Anticipation - somewhat situational bonuses, but I hate all those AoE-effects and ranged curses (when on the receiving end ;)), so I think this will be a sweet investment.
- Polearm Gamble seems pretty good, but it might only be worth it vs. minions who are certain to fall to the lowly OA - good combo with Heavy Blade Opportunity though!
- Second Implement: I think this is pretty sweet, but depends on whether you have been able to invest in the other "implement stats" at all...

Epic tier:
The good:
Pretty much all of the epic feats are great, but again only applicable to those who have the specific weapon etc. Of particular value are IMO Spell Accuracy and Irresistible Flame, which are really good if they're applicable to the character and his abilities.

The bad:
I don't think there are any bad epic feats - all of the feats are pretty awesome for those who can use them.

The interesting:
I think Epic Resurgence and Triumphant Attack are really cool because they make some of the most exciting moments of the game - rolling the 20 (or 19) - even more exciting.

Zinovia

Explorer
While it won't impact the stuff you are already good at, I really like Jack of All Trades. Plus two to all untrained skills is fun for any character.

I agree with many of the others already suggested here.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Feats like Action Surge are actually pretty good. You get an action point every other encounter, so they're used somewhat frequently. And if you're using an action point, it's because you could really use that extra attack or whatever, so having an extra +3 to hit when you need it most is pretty nice.
I like using the +3 to ensure a Daily power doesn't miss.

Mengu

First Post
I have a long list of favorites:

Action Surge
Armor Prof. Leather
Armor Prof. Scale
Backstabber
Durable
Dwarven Weapon Training
Elven Precission
Halfling Agility
Healing Hands
Hellfire Blood
Human Perseverance
Improved Fate of the Void
Improved Initiative
Inspired Recovery
Lethal Hunter
Lost in the Crowd
Melora's Tide
Nimble Blade
Quick Draw
Raven Queen's Blessing
Tactical Assault
Toughness
Two Weapon Defense
Two Weapon Fighting
Weapon Focus
Weapon Proficiency Bastard Sword
Weapon Proficiency Rapier

My least favorite feats are:
Agile Hunter
Combat Reflexes
Far Shot
Ioun's Poise

Reed

First Post
Fast Runner
Nimble Blade
Quick Draw

Distant Shot
Fleet-Footed
Point blank Shot
Lightning Arc
Secret Stride

Triumphant Attack
Unfettered Stride

Particle_Man

Explorer
Some overlooked good feats:

1st Multi-Class Feat (if you meet the prereqs)
Skill Training
Skill Focus

Skills play a bigger role in 4e than before. The knowledge skills tell you more about monsters, and many can be used for rituals (which anyone can learn given the right skill and one feat). Many previous skills are combined into one skill, which gives you more bang for the buck. High skill scores are also useful for skill challenges.

For the Wizard:
Improved Initiative (not just to beat the enemy, but to beat your own over-eager party members)
Spell Focus
Spell Accuracy (remember those party members? Well this cuts down on friendly fire)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads