D&D 4E The Best Thing from 4E

What are your favorite 4E elements?

S'mon

Legend
Interesting, I always like preconception-shattering settings, they can be pretty fun. Of course I wouldn't exactly say I think it disproves my thesis. Clearly by being an alternative to the standard fare it pretty much shows that everyone at some level knows that most settings/campaigns are set-pieces.

The fact that the bathos, and relative danger levels of each area, had to be telegraphed to the players being a nod to the merciless tyranny of the practical over the fanciful. It would be aesthetically most pleasing for the designer of said campaign to make the bathos explicit by letting PCs simply guess which places to avoid (and the consequent carnage attendant to that), yet he felt an overriding need to give them a chance to survive. Every DM feels this kind of pressure, most simply bow to the inevitable.

I do think that shallow power curve systems can run sandbox much more straight - Runequest to an extent, but especially 'cinematic' systems like Savage Worlds and WEG d6 System - with powerful starting characters and only slow advancement, the GM could design an objective environment and let the PCs loose in it with good prospects of survival from the outset, but still challenging much later. Much like real life. :D

"he felt an overriding need to give them a chance to survive. "

It was more that we felt an overwhelming need to gather info before going anywhere - we would look
for information on potentially survivable missions & areas. We were certainly free to strike out
anywhere but we stayed in town until we felt we had good intel.

I do think that shallow power curve systems can run sandbox much more straight - Runequest to an extent, but especially 'cinematic' systems like Savage Worlds and WEG d6 System - with powerful starting characters and only slow advancement, the GM could design an objective environment and let the PCs loose in it with good prospects of survival from the outset, but still challenging much later. Much like real life. :D

"he felt an overriding need to give them a chance to survive. "

It was more that we felt an overwhelming need to gather info before going anywhere - we would look
for information on potentially survivable missions & areas. We were certainly free to strike out
anywhere but we stayed in town until we felt we had good intel.

Yeah, well, most systems are shallower than D&D (although 5e is trying hard). It is certainly much easier to do a sandbox in such a system. In fact if you are familiar with classic Traveller you'll know of the ultimate hexcrawlish sandbox. You can literally just open the box, take the books out, and start rolling dice, and just keep doing it forever. The PCs can even land on a planet and go exploring, there's a pretty complete hexcrawl system between book 3 and one of the early JotTAS supplements.

Bluenose

Adventurer
Yeah, I (currently) don't think I want a Narrativist game like BW, something fairly traditional with few if any player-side metagame mechanics. I think I want something where the focus is more on character development (lateral) rather than progression (vertical), which argues against any class/level system - my 22nd level 4e campaign is already technically a 'manor' game since the PCs rule a small domain, but the disjunct between the Epic Tier PCs and the Heroic Tier dominion (& husband, girlfriends, family etc) means it plays more superhero style, like Clark Kent at the Daily Planet - I'm looking for something where the PCs are more equivalent to & part of the setting in power level.

Some of that may not be an ideal fit for Pendragon, then, because PC knights are basically "named characters" in a medieval romance game and are quite notably better than ordinary footmen. They can be beaten, but it'll take a fairly large advantage in numbers to do it.That it's probably realistic for the era of history/literature in question, where armoured knights were a dominant factor in battle (and of course were generally the people with the resources to go places). They're not likely to be a match for the greater knights, though if you're creating your own setting then that may be a different matter. Lancelot might be a rough equivalent to Superman; the PCs are lesser heroes, but still significant; or even some bits of Indian mythology, though the greater heroes are well out of the power scale Pendragon covers.

It does however have a fairly normal BRP experience system, where it's a lot more likely that your character will expand their skills in width as much or more than they do in depth after a while. Skills over 20 aren't at all easy to improve. There's also support for running manors and larger domains, the latter more in supplements than the main rules. If you want some extra rules to cover characters who aren't "knights" or the equivalent, take a look at Pendragon Pass, an excellent fan-work that converted the Pendragon system for Glorantha but includes material that might be useful for other settings. What it won't give you is really epic power levels in the way some games provide, but it's also not as "gritty" as, say, Runequest.

Maybe base off Pendragon but with a grimmer setting more like Winterfell or the Dragon Warriors setting, in the north of Britain (Cumbria?) on the far edge of Arthur's Kingdom rather than at Salisbury & Camelot, not much Arthurian canon and a lot of freedom of action. Build a mini sandbox around a small castle... Just mulling. :)

There's material for regions outside the south of England, covering Scotland, Wales, Ireland and pre-viking Scandinavia among others. It suits a setting such as mythic Greece, with heroes who may have an entourage of followers but in battle they're the people who matter most; or Romance of the Three Kingdoms China, where again named characters are a match for a large number of normal soldiers, and the clash between those on each side is pretty decisive. If that's not the sort of game you're looking for then Pendragon probably isn't the best fit compared to some other BRP variants.

Last edited:

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
See, I wouldn't call THAT a 'detail'. Its not something that 4e provided for out of the box, but there are rules for BEING blind. Obviously the narrative implications are beyond pretty much any general RPG rules, though I could imagine something very specific (IE a class modeling a cult of blind oracles or something like that, pretty specific but not too far-fetched). Anyway, its not really a detail. Personally, using 4e or its ilk, I would see this kind of thing as a collaboration between the DM and the player, not something imposed by pure chance, though it could start out with a chance circumstance.
Oh. It is just a detail to me. But one with a big impact (thus my initial example of a player death for lack of a rope). I have no idea what will happen in the long term, so keeping track of these details (details to me, anyway) can lead to extremely interesting situations, and ones that we wouldn't have seen if not for mechanics and tracking.
I just cannot comment on your system, its unknown to me. Classic skill systems don't work that way. Some games have fairly extensive lists of skills and circumstances, usually within areas thematically linked to the setting or game system/genre. Most provide a smattering of 'DCs' for the most commonly encountered situations and that's it. However, 4e in particular provides a pretty firm foundation for setting other DCs. Its quite possible to play 4e 'by the book' (especially the RC) and have practically every DC come down to a known number with a variance basically between moderate and hard being the uncertainty factor (not small, but manageable). MOST DCs will be known pretty much exactly.
I think this might be true (I'm not familiar with the RC) for standard "heroic adventuring in D&D" stuff. That is not my standard style of play these days (even if there's some crossover).
I look at it this way:
I'm going to tackle these one at a time, for clarity. Sorry if this seems tedious.
4e Skills: See above, they're as nailed down as most anything gets in RPGs IME. The fact that 4e usually has clearly ONE specific skill with fairly well-documented effects for any given check situation makes it more deterministic than many systems. It is definitely more so than 3e in any of its standard forms where just deciding which skill applies is a highly doubtful operation in many cases.
Better than many skill systems? Undoubtedly. Most nailed down? Strongly disagree. I think you can get a lot more nailed down... but, then again, see the list of things I wrote my RPG has rules for that D&D doesn't even really attempt (I left out all the stuff where they overlap, but mine goes more in-depth).
Skill Challenges: Two things. First no other D&D-like system has them at all (well, SWSE if you count that, no doubt someone will point out another) but the point is SCs should be compared with what? Entropy! They're INFINITY% more empowering because the alternative is random die rolls until the DM feels happy declaring success or failure. As others have pointed out, at least they provide a defined endpoint at which the DM has to get off the pot and declare something has happened.
I basically agree. But the GM is in control of how hard they are, still. What skills can be used in them. When to begin them (he can just keep the infinity rolls) and what the end goal is. None of which I see as empowering to the players.

Again, I think that the system is a good idea. It's one that I think is a good addition to the game. I just don't find it particularly empowering to the players.
'Subjective' DCs: Again, nobody has a DC for everything, and 4e's DCs are no more or less subjective than those of any other system. They should be relatively consistent as well, though that isn't really assured.
I meant the whole "Subjective vs. Objective" thing; you know, DCs that level with the characters. The GM has the power to set the DCs, leading to players asking "how hard is it?" instead of just knowing from the book and taking action (without GM oversight). The GM determines what is or isn't possible, leading to players asking "can I do this?" instead of just knowing from the book and taking action (without GM oversight). Etc.

If the players decided what the DCs were (Easy, Moderate, or Hard), what they could do ("it seems genre appropriate to me, so my Epic level Druid is going to use Nature to cause an earthquake!"), etc., that would be player-empowering. But by leaving all of those decisions to the GM, this isn't the case.
Stunts: Again, 4e's alternative here is entropy! 3e, 2e, 1e, every other flavor of D&D of which I'm familiar has NOTHING beyond possibly a suggestion that the DM use skills and make up some DCs and usually some of the example DCs for the skill system will be something you eyeball (Acrobatics for example in 3e lists some DCs that you'd probably base off of). 4e at least says "here's what the DCs should be for something you think is challenging to a level X PC, and here's how much damage should result when its an attack". Again, this is so many light years beyond most any other RPG that it HAS to be pretty empowering by comparison.
Okay, I keep getting "this is more than other D&Ds had" as a response, and I want to make it clear that I'm talking to game design generally, and not "is 4e better in these areas than past editions." I think it definitely is better in some areas than past editions (including with things like skill challenges and stunts).

But it's all in the hands of the GM. Not the players. This empowers the GM to allow stunts that are mechanically viable, but it doesn't really empower the players as much. If page 42 had been included in the PHB, open to player use, competitive with (or better than) class powers, and not subject to GM permission, then I would say that it's player-empowering. As it stands, it definitely empowers the GM to allow or encourage stunts, but it doesn't really give players that power.
Yeah, obviously I just cannot possibly comment on this except to say that it would certainly be IMHO unworkable for a commercial game. Such a massive compendium of material has, in my mind, two effects. First it crushes the GM creatively in a vice of pre-imagined ways of doing things. This is immaterial of course for you because these are YOUR ways that work in your campaign to achieve your goals. I wouldn't find such a work useful simply because I don't want to have you telling me how the economics of a kingdom run, and I might well not want to do it in whatever way you have detailed.
Not trying to sell it :)

Although, as far as pre-imagined things being crushed go, my game is probably much more open than D&D. It's point-buy at its base (though right now I run it as a class-based game; I made balanced classes using the point-buy system), so you can get a lot more unique things than, say, D&D allows at its base.

Another note: the economy of kingdoms are still fairly abstract (though I know you only used this as an example because you don't know my system). I'm no economist. But yes, if you don't like the rules in any system, that would be a problem. I think this is why certain people play certain games and not others ;)
Secondly how do you even find something in that mass? I wouldn't use it just from sheer awkwardness of trying to sort through and decide what section of that list a given situation in the game was applicable to and just FIND the rules. Yes, you can index and cross-index, and etc, but how do I even know what terminology you used for something? In a fairly small work of this sort, like the 3e skill list for example its not TOO hard to do that, but I doubt anyone but you could ever make it workable. It would certainly require a very large investment of hours of reading and many years of play to become facile with such a system.
I have a head for rules. If I read it, I'll probably remember it as long as I stay engaged with that system. And 320 pages is much, much more manageable for me than 1,000 pages of base D&D (PH, DMG, MM), not counting all the other things that I'd want to use that other books have. How does anyone find anything there? Familiarity with the system, I'd imagine.
SO, in terms of a discussion of the strengths and weaknesses of RPGs that are likely to be encountered out there in the world I don't think the 'massive list of everything possible' really has a lot of weight.
Agree to disagree, then :)
Honestly, I THINK I would find it as disempowering as it was empowering in the sense that if everything I can ever think of to do is already spelled out in there, with the implication that all the associated agenda and setting assumptions and etc is attached then I'm going to feel like I only have this one recipe to do the thing I want. Its exactly what people complained about with 4e powers, that having this hard fast list of powers that was what you could do made the game too rigid.
I could see rules as rigid, bad, worthless, or whatever, but as a player, I don't think I'd ever look at a rule that helped give me power and take it away from the whims of a GM and say that it was disempowering.
The saving grace of 4e, what made it all work, was the high quality of support for going outside those bounds, and the narrowness of the arena in which powers applied (combat pretty much).
Oooh, agree to disagree again. While 4e combat is fun, I find non-combat to be the part where I'm flailing the most as the GM, because there's no real support system compared to what I'm used to (and non-combat is about 90% of my other campaign).
Well, I didn't mean to imply anything about anyone's group. I only mentioned mine because it reflects on my experience as a GM. That is to say I have very collaborative and experienced players that I am close with and thus we can pretty much do anything with our game. I could unleash an unstoppable disaster in my campaign that wiped out all the PCs and the whole world without even a hope of averting it, tell them to roll up new characters, and they'd just be like "Oh, that's interesting, OK, where are you going with this!?" Yours may well be the same, it is often so with such groups.
They'd roll with it, but would definitely want to know what's going on. They'd accept me not telling them, though. Which I think is a good sign.
Yeah, I just don't have a problem with the level of clarity that 4e has. We all know how each other think. They can pretty much set their own DCs.
I just don't like assuming table dynamics when talking about game design. Like, I'm honestly glad that it works for your group so well (and the majority of posters in this thread, I'd imagine), but I've had players where that wasn't the case, even in 4e (the Warpriest's last 4e campaign before mine, the Monk's last 4e campaign before mine, my friend who played as a Cleric in one campaign before I ever even ran 4e).

If that last sentence of yours was a rule, then that would be player-empowering. Some sort of system where they get to choose the DC (Easy, Moderate, or Hard), but there's consequences on each. Maybe Easy is "partial success" where the GM has the right to hold something back, tack on a catch, or throw in a complication. Moderate could be a standard success (you got what you wanted), while Hard would be great success (something extra, etc.). That'd definitely be more empowering to the players, in my opinion.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I feel like a winky face is wholly inappropriate here.

;)

Now let us take a look at the DCs of her level and the standard skill challenge mechanics (which I use overtly and rarely, if ever, make any changes...and if I do I'm up front about it).

DCs 11 16 23

The overwhelming majority of DCs in the game will be medium.

A brief look at Terrain Powers and the Stunting advice bulwarks this theme. The vast majority of DCs in the game will/should be of the Medium DC. Secondary Skills will be Easy, a stray few Primary Skills will be Hard, and a very few stray Stunts will be Easy or Hard. But the overwhelming majority of Stunts and Primary Skills will be Medium.

This transparency alone makes character building to archetype (and thus manifesting in play) a cinch and engenders the protagonising of the PC.
Well, yes, but it's the GM that's empowering the player, in my opinion, not the system. The GM is the one setting DCs, setting self-imposed rules about how the DCs will be set, and then passing that information onto the player. None of which is required by the system. You doing this definitely empowers the player, yes. And the system (with its transparent math) helped you take action to empower the player. But the system itself is not empowering the player, in my opinion. The GM is.

Or am I missing something?
In a 4e Skill challenge, the GM's job is to:
Do you feel the mechanics enforce this view, or is this something that you do, as an individual GM, to empower the players? I think that might be the heart of what I'm getting at.
Stunting is again very transparent and very simple (thus not really accessible to illusionism). Its almost universally:

If non-attack then...

1) Skill at Medium DC

if attack then follow up with...

1) Constult damage expressions and negotiate effect with players from that budget (will be tier-centric) and possible fallout on failure (typically CA UEoYNT).

2) Skill at Medium DC (very, very rarely will it be High or Low)

3) Level + 3 vs NAD or Level + 5 vs AC
Again, this seems mostly decided by you, as GM. If this was in the PH, with the player having these rules set so that they could leverage them, I would find that player-empowering.
All of that is quite transparent, protagonising such that players can reliably build PCs to archetype, make action declarations where the % chance of success is easily discernible, and the effect/fallout/implications on the fiction is clear beforehand. Couple that with 4e's array of author/director stance resources that players have at their disposal and there really isn't much, if any, vulnerablility to illusionism.

I'll run through that play example next chance I get (hopefully way, way late tonight...time is jamming me up right now). Hopefully that is coherent and engages the conversation well enough. Sorry if it is a bunch of wandering crap. Doing this as quickly as I'm able right now.
I really appreciate the replies. It seems like this is all the power flowing from GM to player rather than from book to player, but I'm not 100%.

As far as illusionism, these guidelines being front and center certainly do look like they would hamper illusionist play as you've described it, I agree. So I get where you're coming from in terms of the style of game you run hampering it, and how the rules back you up, at least. So thanks for talking me through that. Looking forward to a write-up if you get around to it :)

pemerton

Legend
I've had quite a few underground locations in 4e games. They tend to work perfectly well, and some were at least loosely pretty dungeon-esque.

<snip>

definitely nothing like mazes of monster-filled randomness.
This describes my 4e game too. I've used underground locations - drow, duergar, a small maze with gelatinous cubes - but not the classic style that [MENTION=463]S'mon[/MENTION] described.

There was one location that was like an extended dungeon, but it still had a pretty tight theme (minotaur burial catacombs).

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
As a games designer I'd say he was a true genius. A lot of what he did gets overlooked because he did it first (& sometimes because he was building on the innovations of Arneson, a more conventionally-brilliant sort of genius). Gygax's genius was in creating structures that made role-playing Gamist, and addictively (snip)

Yeah, I definitely get where you're coming from - and [MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION] 's subsequent explanation - but I consider that part of his entrepreneurship: the synthesising of elements created by others and then getting the whole to market.

Again, though, the fact is he created this hobby and indirectly created the modern computer gaming industry. What a legacy!

I would venture to say that no one plays D&D because they actually wanted a hodge-podge of LotR and Dying Earth filled with ludicrous system artifacts, before they ever took the game off the shelf.

You play D&D because you thought you were going to get an experience something like that of taking in a fantasy story, but more participatory, or because a friend says 'you gotta try this game,' or because you can't find anyone willing to run/play some other game that you've been wanting to try, but you can always pop into an FLGS and play Encounters.
The friend who says that, assuming they said it after playing a certain type of 2E game, would only say that because they wanted to play the hodge-podge described. Not everyone wants to experience a fantasy novel.

Why, yes, I would like to explore a fantasy world in the identity of a butt-kicking elf ranger. That sounds like an excellent use of my free time.

And on a similar note, it was EverQuest and the advent of the Quest system which ruined the open-world MMO experience of Ultima Online. I don't want to be the destined hero who saves the world, just like everyone else; I just want to live in this fantastic world, and explore it, without some sort of plot trying to get in the way.

I understand that a lot of people do want to play a fantasy novel, though, and that earlier editions of D&D weren't great at delivering the cinematic experience. For people who are looking to be The Designated Protagonist, I think 4E works better for that.

To me, this is a paradigm example of metagame at work. Why is it not the PCs' city that gets wiped out? Metagame reasons - we need to play a game, and that demands living PCs.
I think that's a safe place to declare the Anthropic Principle. One group of adventurers was wiped out, and several others were not; we don't play through the events surrounding the group that dies, because it's not interesting. (A game is defined as a series of interesting choices, and there's nothing interesting when the end is a forgone conclusion.)

The important thing is that nothing in-game happens differently, based on whether a group is composed of PCs or NPCs. If you did play through the doomed group, then they would die just as surely as if you narrated it from a distance.

It's not a meta-game consideration, though, because it's not cross-contamination between in-game and out-of-game. Who we are watching is an event entirely external to the game.

Remove ads