D&D 4E The Best Thing from 4E

What are your favorite 4E elements?

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I'll parry with nerdface! B-)
I think it best we take this to PMs :angel:
I bit above I responded to S'mon about en(dis)able versus en(dis)courage. I think that is pretty much where the evaluation for rulesets should be.
Hmm. I can definitely see the value in that. But I think I place value more in the rules clearly and explicitly giving players direct power over what the ruleset encourages.
I think 4e did a whole lot of things that frustrates the hell out of hardcore simulationists and/or illusionism GMs. I think you can look to those things as component parts that discourage process simulation and, while not totally disabling, severely undermining an illusionism GM's latitude. Taken as a whole, I understand why hardcore process sim folks and illusionist GMs went so balls-out in the edition wars.
I think this is probably true, ha.
For instance, James Wyatt has designer notes right up front talking about a GM's role in the game. He talks about how he lets his players handle the rules-related affairs (eg confirming DCs, gaining stealth requirements, etc) of the game and he frames the fiction, pushes the conflict-buttons, and plays the monsters/adversary. Off-loading rules related stuff on players (from rules handling, to quest creation, to keeping track of rewards/milestones - etc, magic item handling, etc), reducing total GM overhead, is a big part of 4e as a whole and it is pretty roundly cited for it (both by the designers in the books, by its proponents, and certainly by its detractors!). That approach by itself is very, very adversarial to illusionism.
And it's something I like! That's what I feel my RPG does by spelling out so many things mechanically for the players. And this is the part that I find myself struggling with in 4e. All the things left to me to decide instead of the players (skill challenges, subjective DCs, skill uses, stunts, etc.). And then all the normal prep for 4e (monsters, skill challenges, magic items, etc.) that I'm not used to doing in my RPG (I don't prep anything).
Further, the invocation of transparency (Mearls even has an article in DMG2 regarding skill challenges...which is pretty wishy washy but certainly highlights the merits of letting players see under the hood with free access to the metagame) and the approach in the books (Quests...the Rewards Frequency table...Rest and Recovery...Magic Items all being in the PHB) is pretty significantly adversarial to illusionism. (I'm just going to call it ) Laws' DMG2 really invokes letting players see under the hood, passing authority over to them (letting them frame some of their own conflicts and then playing the adversarial components...akin to the Dog's initial trials in DitV), and offloading overhead to them. The run-up and early-on designer notes articles really invoked GM transparency as a virtue and several Dungeon articles did the same.
Yeah, I always announce my skill challenges and let the players in fully on the "game" portion (or the "metagame" as you described it). That transparency works well in my experience. And I can see here what you mean by 4e enabling it. I just wish that it explicitly gave more power to the players outside of combat, rather than merely allowed it.
Alright, going to be a busy day but I'm going to attempt to break down an exploration encounter in 4e and a social encounter in DW and illustrate why the games would render illusionism untenable. I will likely have to do one at a time.
Thanks for all your thoughts and work to help me understand. No rush on those examples, but I am looking forward to them. Actual in-game examples and then GM (or player) thoughts on those experiences are always uniquely informative.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Yeah, we are just VERY different, and I think your variety of game preference is pretty idiosyncratic. I've gamed with people who similarly had very unusual tastes and game culture. Usually, like you, they end creating a whole system that only works for them. Its cool, and maybe there are aspects of it that are more generally interesting. However, I think the success of a group like yours depends heavily on the fortune of finding a core group of players that your style suits very well. I don't think it happens too often.
Maybe. I know I've brought in new players: the same guy from work who hadn't played since 1e played in my other group until about two months ago when our mutual employer need him to work Monday evenings; an old acquaintance of mine (and then his significant other), who stopped playing when he moved out of state (he now runs my RPG system for players there); a friend of one of my players from the military, who played until I stopped inviting him. Then there are the other players who weren't new to my gaming circle who played in my game.

All of them, without exception, expressed immense enjoyment with the system. They predictably had differing favorite bits (freedom in character creation; how the rules supported the fiction; how so many interesting outcomes were made possible with the mechanics), but I honestly can't take all of it at face value. They've also all said that I'm the best GM they've played under (which I imagine a good percent of posters here have heard from their players). So that might color things.

Is my preferred style of play idiosyncratic? Yeah, that's a good word for it. Does it only work for my group? I dunno. Two of my players have run games for other groups (not involving me at all) using my system because they prefer it. All of my players through the various permutations of my group have expressed enjoyment with the system itself and what it can deliver. I do think it's pretty niche within a niche hobby, though.
In any case I think the very empowerment of 4e is the total transparency coupled with a simple generalized system that lacks over-specificity. That allows the players to look at the fiction and, without many constraints, imagine how their character's mechanics can be applied through some narrative to that fictional situation. If there were a vast number of detailed procedures and checks specified for every conceivable thing, then each character would be very tightly bound in terms of which things he or she could do or not do, and it would tend to be quite difficult to color outside the lines.
The part about player-empowerment that gets me hung up here is that in 4e, I (as GM) get to decide if players can color inside the lines or outside the lines. And since I'm deciding, I don't feel as if they're particularly empowered outside of combat. (In combat players are pretty empowered, and I quite like that.)
However, what I've found is that the common player in most games has a hard time absorbing the full story telling kind of player-driven plot thing. I ran and played some DW, another game where players don't exactly control the fiction but they use it to actively drive things forward, and its hard as heck for 50% of the people I got at those tables to absorb that.
This is my experience with my 4-page superhero one-shot system that I created (which does include rules for players on stunting :D). It encourages things like players saying "I fly to the top of the building and pull out the antenna" even when no such antenna has been established. My players got used to asking and me saying yes pretty quickly, but they didn't quite get doing it on their own, even with explicit encouragement. But maybe that's why my RPG fits my group (and other, past players) so well.
In my own 4e-hack there are 'Vitality Points' (maybe they should get a new name) that serve as both HS, AP, and general plot coupons (they can recharge certain powers for instance, if I keep elaborating the system I'll probably make a longer list of things players can specifically do with them). However, its still at its core a pretty standard D&D-like classic RPG. The more stodgy players I have can play it a lot like 4e with a few rough edges ground down, and the more adventurous can color outside the lines if they wish.
That sounds like a fun idea to mess around with. Healing surges powering things.
Anyway, the upshot is that we have a bit different ideas about player empowerment. IMHO your approach wouldn't work for most tables. I think in particular that more casual or less rules engaged players wouldn't find it approachable enough to work for them, but its hard to say. Maybe someone will publish a game along the lines you seem to be suggesting and we'll find out.
Oh, the rules-adverse people would indeed hate my game. No argument from me. And like I said, I do think it's probably a niche market thing even if I considered publishing it. But I'm not worried about it. I guess I could pay attention to it if someone publishes something similar. Would be interesting to know :)

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
OK, so what if the DM simply calculated ahead of time as he was writing up his setting what level the PCs would be at when they got to location X and put monsters of that level in that location? Is that not meta-game? What I am proposing is that this is EXACTLY WHAT ALL SETTING DESIGNERS DO. They may not follow that exact linear process. They may instead do various things. They might say "I'd like to have some giants in the game, lets see where a good place to put them would be" and then they put them far from the town in the mountains where the PCs won't go until they reach level 8, and to make it even more explicit he plants a rumor that giants are in the mountains at the tavern (maybe ahead of time, maybe he thinks of it when the PCs go in for a drink and ask around).
I'm just going to quickly disagree that all setting designers do that. Because my setting (which only has a three currently living races, one of which is giants) design doesn't work that way.

S'mon

Legend
Well, just as an interesting aside, this is why I thought that ME actually makes a pretty terrible place to set an RPG. Its a world that is not really fleshed out, it exists only in very exaggerated broad brush strokes. When you actually start to zoom in on it in any detail you have two choices. You can either break it, that is it simply makes no sense as it is described and you literally cannot play in it because there's nothing there to interact with.

Yes, I remember getting that feeling when I thought about running an ME game. It looks good from a distance but zooming in to anything (except the languages!) it breaks, there's no 'there' there. Swords & Sorcery settings don't tend to have this issue so much, perhaps because they tend to be based off the ancient or medieval world so closely.
As you say, to work Middle Earth needs a hell of a lot of mundanification - Arnor needs surviving human settlements and trade networks, Rohan a dependable non-Enty source of wood, Minas Tirith needs extra gates for the food wagons, etc etc etc.

The PCs decided to try and harness this energy, and channel into an item so as to enchant it. There was then some discussion about what items they might try for, and how they might go about it. I had brought my recently acquired copy of Heroes of the Elemental Chaos to the session, and showed the player of the sorcerer the Gift of Flame alternative reward. He liked the look of it, and without consulting the other players had his PC leap up onto Calastryx's body and cast a Cyclonic Vortex (? 13th level sorcerer encounter power) to summon the chaotic energies to him.
I'm curious as to how the other PCs even knew that you could harness the energy of a dead dragon into enchanting an item. Or how the sorcerer knew that it could gather the dragon's energy for himself. Or, specifically, that he'd need to cast Cyclonic Vortex in order to do so.

I mean, I stopped playing 4E after about six months, but it never would have occurred to me that harvesting the energy of a fallen dragon was a thing that you could do. Was it something that the players just made up, because they thought it would be cool if they could do it - and you agreed, because you're following the "yes, and..." school of thought? Or was it something that they knew about, because I guess they'd heard stories of a hero who slays an ancient dragon and uses its spirit to power a sword?

By your definition there is no metagaming here, as there is an ingame reason for the mooncalves to turn up. By my definition the whole thing is metagaming - it's what [MENTION=463]S'mon[/MENTION] calls "Pemertonian scene-framing"! Namely, as GM I frame the PCs into some sort of crisis or challenge in response to the resolution of the previous scene, also having regard to the expressed or implied interests of the players as demonstrated through their play of their PCs.
Maybe I'm not explaining myself well, because the thing you are describing is definitely meta-gaming in my book. Even if you later came up with a justification for why it was okay for this thing to happen, the real reason why it happened was because you wanted to create an interesting situation for your players.

I guess the difference all comes down to timing. Making stuff up ahead of time, because you think it will make for an interesting story later, is fine; changing anything in-the-moment, because you think up something better later on, is less cool. It would have been ideal (in my perspective) if you'd written down ahead of time that the sorcerer can gain this benefit from jumping onto the dragon and casting this spell.

There are even games that codify this. They'll say that the GM should write everything down ahead of time, and you're not supposed to change anything later on. I seem to recall that the players can even earn XP (or some other benefit) if they successfully call out the GM for cheating in this manner!

And I think that goes back to fairness, for me. It's not "fair" if my character gains a super cool magic power because the DM is changing the world around me such that the thing I want to happen will be the thing that actually happens. As a scientist, I just can't live in a world that shapes itself around what I do or do not want it to be.

Tying this back to RPGing - I'm not really interested in a GM making covert decisions under the guise of what's "likely" or "obvious". I'd much rather a GM be upfront about making choices, and that those choices be guided by a deliberate agenda of putting the players in the hot seat!
There's no reason why the DM needs to be covert about this. If my character was in jail, and the other PCs weren't conspiring to get me out, then there's nothing wrong with the DM explaining to the players about how these decisions are being made. Because the players are expected to maintain a strict wall between player knowledge and character knowledge, the DM is free to mention any factors that the characters don't know - things like the reputation of the imprisoned characters, who knows or doesn't know about it, who might be in a position to do something about it, etc.

And for things where the DM can't help but be biased, where choosing either way would seem inappropriate, there are always the dice. I was once trapped at the bottom of a pit, and the DM rolled random percentage chance for someone to find me. He listed the base chance from the local encounter rate, with modifiers for the passage of time and likelihood that someone might notice my absence. I think he started with 10%, and it got up to 30% by the third day, when I was miraculously rescued.

And yes, that does start with a base of DM fiat (in determining the initial success chance), but by explaining the process to the players, everyone can make sure that it's honest - and call the DM out if something seems unreasonable (if the initial success chance is 70%, for example).

Of course, I can also imagine being a player, and not knowing whether I was supposed to keep trying to find my own way out, or whether the DM was planning to have a specific NPC rescue me at the last moment. That seems like a pretty miserable situation. Given the options, though, I would prefer the random chance of death over trusting the plot will work itself out regardless of my actions; there's no way that I can trick myself into expecting to be rescued at the last second, because the DM wouldn't let me die in such a manner.

S'mon

Legend
I'm curious as to how the other PCs even knew that you could harness the energy of a dead dragon into enchanting an item. Or how the sorcerer knew that it could gather the dragon's energy for himself. Or, specifically, that he'd need to cast Cyclonic Vortex in order to do so.

I mean, I stopped playing 4E after about six months, but it never would have occurred to me that harvesting the energy of a fallen dragon was a thing that you could do. Was it something that the players just made up, because they thought it would be cool if they could do it - and you agreed, because you're following the "yes, and..." school of thought? Or was it something that they knew about, because I guess they'd heard stories of a hero who slays an ancient dragon and uses its spirit to power a sword?

It's common in 4e for the Arcana skill to be able to manipulate magical forces - comes up a lot in the published adventures. Took me a bit of getting used to, too.
Recently IMC the treasure table I was using threw up a ring bound with 'living fire' from the Elemental Chaos, very very valuable but not officially a 'magic item'. The players naturally wanted to turn it into a real magic item, and there was some discussion & negotiation of how they could do this, and what it might be.They were able to get it turned into a fire ring, a rare item from Mordenkainens ME: not something I had planned in advance, but seemed reasonable.

Balesir

Adventurer
That sounds like Chekhovian roleplaying!

I think I could get into it with a like-minded group, but it would be challenging.
It's not for everybody, but I seriously love maps, not just for the artwork but for the imagined exploration they inspire, and I think you have to have that sort of outlook to enjoy exploratory roleplaying. It follows from that that whatever is proffered to be explored must be something you find inspiring.

I also think the GM would have to pay some regard to dramatic need in narration of outcomes/consequences, wouldn't s/he, if the whole thing is not to stall?
Not necessarily, no. I think of it as the roleplaying equivalent of high-energy physics. This is not because it's "explosive" (which high-energy physics isn't, really, either), but because you select the particles/characters/situations and send them accelerating around the ring, then pick the place you expect them to collide and just sit back to watch B-). Remember that the moment-to-moment aim in play is to explore - to imagine yourself in the position of the characters/inhabitants/bystanders and experience events from their perspective and while assuming what you imagine to be their outlook. As GM you might almost "immerse" yourself in the perspective and outlook of the world to watch how things unfold. It's undeniably a bit odd, but it can be enjoyable when it works well.

Honestly, how likely is that event? Would it have happened, if he was not the protagonist? A lot of the DM's job, in that mode of thought, just goes down to saying that the thing which happens is the thing which is most likely to happen. If I was playing in a campaign, and an NPC introduced herself to me under those circumstances, then I would probably roll my eyes at the sheer improbability of it.
Here and elsewhere I think you make the mistake of adopting the Illusory Consensus heuristic. You assume that everyone has a model or picture of the world that is broadly similar to your own. Trust me - this is not the case. Specifically, here, you seem to misunderstand the nature of probability.

In the real world (and most others I can imagine), improbable things happen all the time. By a delicious irony, in fact, a world where only the most likely things ever happen would be indescribably improbable! "One-in-a-million" people, for example, are not rare. There are thousands of them, just because there are so many people. The world - any world - is a stupendously big place; it thus contains all manner of improbable things. By selecting where these improbable things happen, a GM unavoidably affects any resulting story profoundly. I think the only way to handle this is to accept it and allow for it in your game setup.

At the same time, I don't think that "player control" is the be-all and end-all. You (@Saelorn) made a comment upthread (couldn't find it to reply to, sorry) about players making interesting decisions that, I think, really hits an important nail on the head. I think the interest and engagement in playing most RPGs really does reside in making interesting choices. The key questions, then, are "what kinds of choices do I/we find interesting?" and "how do we set up a game that will tend to generate such choices as a requirement of play?"

All of which brings me to:
Getting off-topic, Pendragon (own it, not played or GM'd it) seems to be a sim system (BRP) drifted
over to dramatist play - or at least, it ought to work well that way? What do you reckon? This is a type of game I'd like to run fairly soon (thinking 'manor' type play, or 'Game of Thrones' at a lower level of
world-power) - a group of PCs with ties of blood & loyalty, central set location (Deadwood/Castle Stark sort of thing) and a focus on character. I've been struggling with what system to use - considered using 4e D&D and Fallcrest, considered the Song of Ice & Fire RPG, considered Dragon Warriors, considered BRP
(generic) or BRP-Pendragon.
While I agree with earlier comments about "Pendragon Pass" and possibilities to play Pendragon in non-Arthurian settings, I think Pendragon does adopt a very particular approach to player agency and decsion making, at least in its later incarnations (3rd Ed. on).

The personality trait and passion mechanics in Pendragon engender a very interesting play dynamic, and one that, I think, illuminates one aspect of the "player empowerment" issue; they allow the player to effectively exchange some control over their character for character power. The more extreme traits and passions you develop, the less control you have over your character. The player of a moderately chaste, moderately lusty character will generally be able to choose whether to follow the enticing maiden into the castle, but an extremely chaste character may not be able to and an extremely lusty one might have to! These extreme traits, in turn, are a major source of Glory and renown - from which character power and prominence derive.

Not only is this an interesting arena in which players get to make decisions, it's also evocative of the Arthurian/Romantic themes AND it gives the GM hooks and levers with which to get the characters into trouble - which enables entertaining stories (which can also bring Glory and yadda yadda...)

Going a level deeper, though, the specific traits and passions the players decide to develop in their characters also guide the sorts of trouble the characters will get into - another way for the players to affect the direction and theme of play.

I see echoes of these means of "player empowerment" in newer games, too. 13th Age, notably, has its Icon relationships and "One Unique Thing". These both add power to the characters and add hooks that both bring the characters trouble and influence the kind of trouble they get into. One difference here, though, is that they are selected up-front in the character design, whereas the Pendragon ones are developed, for the most part, through play. This, I think, is a non-trivial differentiation; some people seem to much prefer one of these over the other - what used to be called "Develop At Start" (or DAS) and "Develop In Play" (or DIP) on RGFA.

I am reminded, too, of Burning Wheel and the way it encourages players to get into interesting trouble by failing rolls - because that is how character advancement is driven. Again, the players may trade some measure of control for character power. Is this "player empowerment"? I think so - but done in such a way that interesting (read: PCs struggling) situations develop.

Trading, exchange or parlaying of this sort can be found in very different kinds of games, too, and I think that resource exchange is a topic well worth exploring for any game system. Universalis, in particular, has an interesting take. This is a roleplaying game with no GM. The players have explicit currency ("coins") with which characters, "facts", places, objects and even rules can be created according to a precise and comprehensive set of rules. Conflicts among the players (as opposed to the characters) are resolved by bidding, with the wrinkle that bids to retain unchanged things that are already "established" in the setting count at double value. Players that find their ideas opposed are encouraged to negotiate, working to find a compromise that will not be bid against - or at least will not attract so many counter-bids.

The trick with all of this, though, is that it generates no new coins. Such unbridled creation and/or manipulation can only last so long before the players run out of resource; to get new coins, you need to generate conflicts among the characters. These are resolved using dice pool mechanics such as would be familiar to any player of Shadowrun or the World of Darkness games - with the added feature that traits that add to the pool can be created by the players on the fly (and, even mid-conflict, all players may pay coins to directly add "circumstances" to the resolution pools).

All this brings about another, different, type of decision concerning resources, characters and stories.

"Immersive" play, I think, fits this "decision type" model, too. The desire to make "in-character" decisions, typically meaning decisions made while imagining the situation from the perspective of the character and adopting what the player has decided is the character's outlook and world-view, is just another specific type of decision to be made. The question, it seems to me, is always what sort of decision the players wish to make. Finding (or making) a system to enable such decisions is generally fairly easy, once this first (and incredibly hard!) step is made.

Final section of this over-long post (sorry) for [MENTION=6668292]JamesonCourage[/MENTION].

Here are some notes I made recently on some added structure for Skill Challenges - how to make them more explicit in form for the players. The idea is that the GM decides on a level and complexity for the challenge and the players then describe a plan and propose skills for the required "actions". The GM can/should negotiate over the skills to use, but not enforce skills unless they are using a "token" on an action. Both GM and players get resources in the challenge to increase the stakes or make things easier/harder where they think it will add tension/enjoyment. The structure should be available for the players to know, and it should be made clear that the GM is expected to use all their "tokens" by the end of the challenge.

Level and complexity of challenge should be decided based on the level of the opposition to the completion of the attempted task (just as with a combat challenge), and complexity to suit perceived difficulty. In particular, the XP value of the challenge should reflect the combat(s) avoided or advantage gained through completing the challenge.

I hope you find it helpful...

Basic skill challenge setup:

(Complexity+1)*2 successes at basic actions before 3 failures

"Basic actions" map to a single success at moderate difficulty by a single character of the party's choice

"3 failures" should map to a loss condition, and may map to lost surges, lost equipment, lost time or additional combat encounters; alternatively, each failure may cause a (non-challenge terminating) loss condition such as surge loss, equipment loss or power use

Each SC also starts with a number of "tokens" that are used by the GM as "opposition". The number of tokens gained is equal to the challenge Complexity minus 1.

Varying the "Basic Action":

Group actions include:
- The "All for One": all players may roll, the best roll (only) counts; difficulty increased 1 level
- The "One for All": all players must roll, the worst result counts; difficulty lowered one level
- The "Mean Streets": all players must roll, at least half the characters must succeed to get a success

In group rolls, a player may have a character voluntarily take a difficulty 1 higher in order to also aid another single character in the task. They may alternatively voluntarily take a difficulty two levels higher in order to also aid every other character in the task.

Uses of "Tokens":

GM Opposition tokens may be used to:
- Increase the difficulty of an action by one level; this is the basic use of a token
- To specify which specific PC will attempt to complete a specific action, e.g. the dwarf faced with a social task
- To cancel a success, this being typically through "enemy action"
- To double the number of challenge failures caused by failure in a single action; this use must be announced before the action roll is made and, if the roll succeeds, the Token is still spent
- To specify a specific skill to be used for an action, overriding the players' proposal; note that the players may choose to approach things completely differently (change plan) in response, in which case the token is not spent

Earning and using "Advantages":

Any roll may be voluntarily taken at one higher level of difficulty, or an additional roll that counts for failure but not success may be taken at Moderate difficulty, to gain an "Advantage". For each Complexity level over 2, two "free" actions may be attempted that do not count for failures but may give Advantages if successful.

An Advantage may be used to:
- Reduce the difficulty level of an action by 1 level; use of the Advantage must be announced before any dice are rolled for the task
- To cancel a failure if a Hard action is completed; this action does not count as a failure in the challenge if failed
- To block the deployment of a Token; the Token blocked is not spent, but may not be used on the current action in any way
- Allow a reroll of a skill for any one action
- To double the value of a success in an action (i.e. successful action gives 2 successes in the challenge); this use must be announced before the action success roll is made, and if failed the Advantage is still spent.

Power Use in Skill Challenges:

Powers may be used in skill challenges to help complete or to execute actions. At-Will powers may sometimes be instrumental in the way an action is described, but they will not change the difficulty of the roll needed to complete the action.

Encounter powers will generally reduce the difficulty of an action that they are appropriate for by 1 level. Daily powers will similarly reduce difficulty by 2 levels.

Difficulty levels are:

- Trivial (automatic success)
- Easy
- Moderate
- Hard
- Impossible (automatic failure)

The players should describe the actions they are attempting, and these should form a coherent plan to achieve the challenge success outcome. The GM may negotiate the details of the challenge outcome based on the players' description of the plan, but may not affect the rolls required for success based on these descriptions or the basic outcome of the plan except as provided for by the expenditure of Tokens. The GM may offer additional "free" rolls for Advantages in return for (binding) agreements about challenge outcome.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Final section of this over-long post (sorry) for [MENTION=6668292]JamesonCourage[/MENTION].
[sblock]Here are some notes I made recently on some added structure for Skill Challenges - how to make them more explicit in form for the players. The idea is that the GM decides on a level and complexity for the challenge and the players then describe a plan and propose skills for the required "actions". The GM can/should negotiate over the skills to use, but not enforce skills unless they are using a "token" on an action. Both GM and players get resources in the challenge to increase the stakes or make things easier/harder where they think it will add tension/enjoyment. The structure should be available for the players to know, and it should be made clear that the GM is expected to use all their "tokens" by the end of the challenge.

Level and complexity of challenge should be decided based on the level of the opposition to the completion of the attempted task (just as with a combat challenge), and complexity to suit perceived difficulty. In particular, the XP value of the challenge should reflect the combat(s) avoided or advantage gained through completing the challenge.

I hope you find it helpful...

Basic skill challenge setup:

(Complexity+1)*2 successes at basic actions before 3 failures

"Basic actions" map to a single success at moderate difficulty by a single character of the party's choice

"3 failures" should map to a loss condition, and may map to lost surges, lost equipment, lost time or additional combat encounters; alternatively, each failure may cause a (non-challenge terminating) loss condition such as surge loss, equipment loss or power use

Each SC also starts with a number of "tokens" that are used by the GM as "opposition". The number of tokens gained is equal to the challenge Complexity minus 1.

Varying the "Basic Action":

Group actions include:
- The "All for One": all players may roll, the best roll (only) counts; difficulty increased 1 level
- The "One for All": all players must roll, the worst result counts; difficulty lowered one level
- The "Mean Streets": all players must roll, at least half the characters must succeed to get a success

In group rolls, a player may have a character voluntarily take a difficulty 1 higher in order to also aid another single character in the task. They may alternatively voluntarily take a difficulty two levels higher in order to also aid every other character in the task.

Uses of "Tokens":

GM Opposition tokens may be used to:
- Increase the difficulty of an action by one level; this is the basic use of a token
- To specify which specific PC will attempt to complete a specific action, e.g. the dwarf faced with a social task
- To cancel a success, this being typically through "enemy action"
- To double the number of challenge failures caused by failure in a single action; this use must be announced before the action roll is made and, if the roll succeeds, the Token is still spent
- To specify a specific skill to be used for an action, overriding the players' proposal; note that the players may choose to approach things completely differently (change plan) in response, in which case the token is not spent

Earning and using "Advantages":

Any roll may be voluntarily taken at one higher level of difficulty, or an additional roll that counts for failure but not success may be taken at Moderate difficulty, to gain an "Advantage". For each Complexity level over 2, two "free" actions may be attempted that do not count for failures but may give Advantages if successful.

An Advantage may be used to:
- Reduce the difficulty level of an action by 1 level; use of the Advantage must be announced before any dice are rolled for the task
- To cancel a failure if a Hard action is completed; this action does not count as a failure in the challenge if failed
- To block the deployment of a Token; the Token blocked is not spent, but may not be used on the current action in any way
- Allow a reroll of a skill for any one action
- To double the value of a success in an action (i.e. successful action gives 2 successes in the challenge); this use must be announced before the action success roll is made, and if failed the Advantage is still spent.

Power Use in Skill Challenges:

Powers may be used in skill challenges to help complete or to execute actions. At-Will powers may sometimes be instrumental in the way an action is described, but they will not change the difficulty of the roll needed to complete the action.

Encounter powers will generally reduce the difficulty of an action that they are appropriate for by 1 level. Daily powers will similarly reduce difficulty by 2 levels.

Difficulty levels are:

- Trivial (automatic success)
- Easy
- Moderate
- Hard
- Impossible (automatic failure)

The players should describe the actions they are attempting, and these should form a coherent plan to achieve the challenge success outcome. The GM may negotiate the details of the challenge outcome based on the players' description of the plan, but may not affect the rolls required for success based on these descriptions or the basic outcome of the plan except as provided for by the expenditure of Tokens. The GM may offer additional "free" rolls for Advantages in return for (binding) agreements about challenge outcome.[/sblock]
I'm going to have to take some time to look this over and digest it, but thanks for typing it all up for me. I'll get you some feedback on it at a more convenient point (I'm touching up my campaign map right now before preparing for work in an hour). XP given, though :)

pemerton

Legend
I agree, you could reconstruct 4e, or something like 4e, as a story-telling kind of system with each player given some sort of plot power resource that was used to invoke powers, take extra actions, raise the stakes on checks by modifying the fiction, etc. This is all quite doable. Honestly I suspect Pemerton is going to say "Yeah, BW does a lot of that", and it probably does (I've only played one game that used a BW-derived rule set and only very briefly, so I'm a bit unschooled on the details of it).
I'll bite! (In a slightly tangential way.)

Some years ago now, [MENTION=386]LostSoul[/MENTION] pointed me to this blog piece, about "narrative technique" in RPGing.

The main point of the blog is that there is a tension between (i) player authorial power and (ii) player-driven, scene-framing-style play - namely, that if the players get to author their own solutions or outcomes via plot power, this undercuts the emotional power of engaging a challenge/crisis via your PC. Here is how the blog author (Eero Tuovinen) puts it:

[W]hen you apply narration sharing to backstory authority, you require the player to both establish and resolve a conflict, which runs counter to the Czege principle [an observation that "it’s not exciting to play a roleplaying game if the rules require one player to both introduce and resolve a conflict"]. You also require the player to take on additional responsibilities in addition to his tasks in character advocacy . . . nstead of only having to worry about expressing his character and making decisions for him . . . he has to make decisions that are not predicated on the best interests of his character, but on the best interests of the story itself.

The author goes on to contrast narration-sharing with scene-framing-style RPGing:

The fun in these games from the player’s viewpoint comes from the fact that he can create an amazing story with nothing but choices made in playing his character; this is the holy grail of rpg design, this is exactly the thing that was promised to me in 1992 in the MERP rulebook. And it works, but only as long as you do not require the player to take part in determining the backstory and moments of choice. If the player character is engaged in a deadly duel with the evil villain of the story, you do not ask the player to determine whether it would be “cool” if the villain were revealed to be the player character’s father. The correct heuristic is to throw out the claim of fatherhood if it seems like a challenging revelation for the character, not ask the player whether he’s OK with it – asking him is the same as telling him to stop considering the scene in terms of what his character wants and requiring him to take an objective stance on what is “best for the story”. Consensus is a poor tool in driving excitement, a roleplaying game does not have teeth if you stop to ask the other players if it’s OK to actually challenge their characters.​

Burning Wheel allows more formal player backtory authority than does 4e - I've given the examples upthread, of using the Circles mechanic to bring NPCs into play. But it tries to use various devices to make sure that these don't lead to the problem just described. First, they require checks - so mechanically, they work out the same way as other action declarations, with the GM having control over failure narration. Second, the GM still has authority over framing the PCs (and thereby the players) into conflicts/challenges, so the players' introduction of backstory (in the form of "NPCs my guy would know", or "information about Greyhawk that my guy would know") is by way of response to those challenges, not establishing new conflicts for his/her PC.

Otherwise the basic mechanical play of BW is pretty traditional. It has some fairly simple "limit-break" stuff (various sorts of fate points that add bonus dice and can be used to dodge PC death). Otherwise the bells and whistles are in the advancement rules (which create incentives (i) not to always use your biggest possible bonus, and (ii) to take on impossible tasks) and the rules for earning the fate points, as well as "fail forward", "say yes" and "no retries" as key GMing techniques.

pemerton

Legend
Middle Earth is about big picture, world shaking events, terrible foes, indomitable (though humble) heroes, the great sweep of history, etc. When you ask where the toilet is located it just spoils the effect. I never could stomach games like MERP for that reason. If I'm going to play in a necessarily mundanified ME then I'll just play in WoG instead, it is infinitely better suited.

You could make a plausible game where you assumed the roles of the great heroes of ME history, or perhaps their top cohorts, and maybe walk the line, just focus on big picture events and gloss everything else, much like the novels do at times. Its not the same as a generalized RPG though. Much more like that TSR Indiana Jones game where you just played one of the characters from the movie and there weren't any other choices.
Another BW comment: I think it's not a coincidence that the game has incredibly Tolkien-esque dwarves, elves and orcs, but no hobbits.

The purpose of the hobbits in LotR is to "be" the (assumed English, assumed middle class) reader, and to mediate the readers unfamiliarity with the world of chivalric romance + fantasy. In an RPG the player (with the help of the GM) plays that mediating role directly, and so hobbits become unnecessary.

I agree that if you want to play Middle Earth, playing heroes in an epic, "big picture" style is the way to go. No toilets.

no amount of literary and authorial detail and care to attention will make a world that 'works'. It can make a world that we can explore and imagine might work, but we simply cannot know what would really happen if we could 'set it in motion' because its scientific and causal underpinnings simply don't exist.

<snip>

The best a GM desiring to set his world in motion can do is to take authorial control of it and posit certain events, to just declare that in his view logic dictates that thus-and-such happens next

<snip>

The key point here is that said GM must, perforce, have GREAT LEEWAY in terms of what he could reasonable posit as both consequences of the actions of the PCs and natural evolution of this imagined world.

<snip>

There's no question of 'impartiality' here, no such impartiality exists NOR CAN IT EVEN EXIST WITHIN THIS DOMAIN. The GM could have an agenda of 'even handedness' where sometimes the imagined course of events works in favor of the player's agenda, and sometimes it works counter to it, at least at a superficial level. Some GMs, usually accounted 'bad' ones, are less concerned with the other participants and in various ways get wrapped up in their own agenda. This usually leads to all the various sorts of toxic game situations.

Really great GMs can make a world seem to come alive, but they're NOT the ones IME that try to actually pretend it is an 'objective simulation', they're the ones that have a good grasp of dramatic needs and agendas and the creativity to translate those into game play
I absolutely agree with all this.

Remove ads