• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E The Best Thing from 4E

What are your favorite 4E elements?

Fair enough. I'll assume that the in-game reality corresponding to "can't make opportunity attacks" is sufficiently distinct from the in-game reality corresponding to "dazed" or "-2 on attacks" that it would make sense that the fighter can attempt specific maneuvers to inflict such conditions.

I actually think it was a bit nit-picky. Not because it doesn't work mechanically, and not because its impossible to square up the narrative reasonably well, but just because it isn't that INTERESTING to most players. They can easily see the mechanical and tactical difference, but it just lacks real impact. Its the sort of distinction that matters IF you are playing the game for the most detailed level of tactical experience, but for a lot of less wargame loving players its just a lot of stuff to remember. I always felt like there was ONE notch that it could be dialed back where you'd still have a really tactically interesting game, but where it would be a little more accessible.

My response to this would be as well, in retrospect the initial 4e release was a botched, over-hyped rush job. Why in the world did it take three--THREE!!!!!!--monster manuals (the Essentials Monster Vault being the final result) to get the encounter math right?
Eh, most of the monsters in all the MMs are fine. It wasn't 'getting the math right' IMHO so much as not really grasping what the paradigm was. Again, they were aiming at monsters that would work well in 2e or something, but they aren't quite so exciting in a high action adventure game. If you look at the MM3 monsters, and the MV monsters, they are VERY similar to the MM1 monsters. There were a few MM1/2 monsters that just pretty much didn't work, but there are also a LOT of really brilliant ones.

To this day, can anyone but die-hard 4e GMs point out what the "real" or "correct" math is for skill challenges? This would be the equivalent of buying a new board game and unwrapping the box, only to find a giant announcement saying, "DON'T USE THE RULES IN THIS BOX. GO ONLINE AND DOWNLOAD THE 84-PAGE SUPPLEMENT AT http://wedidntplaytest/ourgameenough/soyouget/tofixityourself.com to properly play this game."
Again though, the only thing that was changed was the general DC table, and I don't believe it was a matter of the original numbers being 'wrong', it was a matter of needing to understand how to play to the strengths of the game and a shift in agenda in order to get there. I think basically half the design team was stuck back in 1998 and half of it was in 2015, but it was 2007. I'm not saying that was good, but it wasn't all about 'rush' or an incompetence at game design (after all the same people wrote most of 3e and 5e), but an inability to internalize the differences in playstyle that were inherent in 4e's agenda.

To say nothing of forcing people to buy the Player's Handbook 2 just to get access to what should have been "base" classes; the ongoing debacle of the digital desktop and tools.......
Nobody was 'forced' to buy the PHB2, and it really depends on what you call a 'base class'. Every class that featured in all previous editions of the game, except the druid, were in 4e PHB1. The classes that were included in that book did a good job of being base classes.

All of this points to a business decision deemed necessary simply to get product on the shelves. If they'd spent another 6-9 months polishing 4e, really revising it, and THEN releasing it....I suspect it would have made a significant difference.

Well, that could definitely be true. I don't think they were doing the best that could have been done, but then hindsight is 20/20. Just remember, Epimethius is the IDIOT TWIN of the fire bringer... ;)

bert1000

First Post
PCs are routinely tasked with solving problems like "save the princess" or "stop the opposing army". Being clever, in this sort of situation, generally involves finding a solution that is less than obvious. Instead of navigating through the spooky woods and sneaking past the army to confront the Big Bad, the clever player might go in the opposite direction to seek the aid of a powerful water spirit, to flood the plains and drown the army. Or convert the stone under 70% of the general's tower to mud, such that it collapses under its own weight.

Well, this kind of clever isn’t orthogonal to SCs at all. In fact, I would say SCs could be a useful tool to resolving that kind of clever.

From some of your other posts, a lot of the inappropriateness seems to come down to when to use a SC or not. You don’t have to/shouldn’t use a SC in all situations. If a party decides to sneak through the woods to bypass a combat encounter there's no combat encounter. Once you’re in the combat encounter however, there isn't often an 'I win' button in 4e by design. You have to play it out under the structure of combat. Of course, you can always retreat from the combat and find another way to obtain your goal though. Same in a SC. Once you decide a SC is appropriate, you have to play it out under the structure of a SC (or abandon the goal and figure something else out).

A SC is a choice. And by deciding on a SC the group is declaring that:

1) this goal requires multiple, incremental actions (and shouldn't fail on just 1 action)
2) success and failure are interesting and meaningful
3) the nature of skill checks and actions are now changed- a single action can only lead to incremental success or partial failure.
4) the nature of actions can become more abstract (doesn’t have to be but has the flexibility to be). Each skill check can serve as an abstraction for a bunch of related activity.

Once you've accepted this, I just don't think it's that hard to make sure each check either leads incrementally closer to the goal or is a setback (and do this fairly smoothly inside the fiction).

Yes, X success before Y failures is a little artificial but not really more so than HP and other traditional ways to measure success/failure.

I also have to say that the SC tool was in its infancy and never really had the chance to be refined and built upon.

For instance what if there was an option for either

X success before y failure
Or
X successes in Y rounds (like Stalker’s Obsidian)

The second has a very different feel and might be a better fit for some situations.

Also you may be feeling the lack of strategic choices for the player. I definitely wish there were more choices than just narrative framing and skill choice. IMO this helped bolster the 'it's just a bunch of skill checks' thing. Imagine if in combat you abstracted everything but the attack role and which kind of attack you chose. Not as satisfying I think.

I haven't found many systems that add an additional layer to abstract non combat resolution mechanics well but look at Diaspora (Fate) social combat. This structure gives a few interesting choices to players using an abstract 'map'.

Here's the example in brief (I’m simplifying a bit):

The PCs want to use a political/social campaign to persuade the government of Planet Z to end the slave trade, while their opponents want the government to ramp up the slave trade and go to war with Planet W (very appropriate for a SC).

There's a map that basically looks like this, with each ‘O’ and the ends being separate ‘zones’:

(Free Planet Z) – O – O – O – O – O – (War with Planet W)

The party (as a group) is represented as a token and the opposition is represented as a token. There are also four tokens representing the key influencers -- Working Class (WC), the Academics (A), the Nobles (N), and the Thought Police (TP). Each token starts on different zones depending on their initial predisposition on the issue.

The goal is to get three influencers into a target zone (each side of the map), which ensures the government of Planet Z acts toward that goal.

It’s decided both sides have 7 turns to do this (representing 6 months).

All actions are resolved with an abstract skill check (like SC) but there are several options for what a success of a check can mean:
A) move a influencer token closer to a target goal (level of success indicates how far can move)
b) set up a barrier for the opposition to overcome before it can move things
C) create an asset that can be used for a bonus on a later roll
D) attack the opposition's mental/social hit points directly in an attempt to take them out of play (note that doing this in itself doesn't meet the goal)
E) move along the map, representing getting closer or farther from the sphere of influence of a target (how far you are from your target influences difficulty on your skill check)

This actual play is very similar to a SC -- a bunch of skill checks with narrative positioning. However this structure adds a bit more strategic depth during the challenge.

Really cool stuff and an example of what 5e could have included (at least as an optional DM module) if it wanted to push the SC concept further. That’s my biggest disappointment from all the SC hate-- that it killed an interesting concept and didn’t give it time to be developed into something even better.

Conflict is also inevitable, interesting and implicit/essential in all forms of entertainment. And it does not need to be violent.

No story exists - no human interest exists - without conflict. Economics is a fertile field for conflict. So are politics, academic pursuits, sports and games, most hobbies and pastimes and raising a family. All involve conflict with adversity or competition of some form that must be overcome to achieve success. A roleplaying game without any conflict - just like any story without any conflict - would be a nonentity. The reason we only tell stories that involve conflict is that conflict is what engages our minds; it is, psychologically, what makes us tick.
Yeah, I found the whole 'conflict is bad' comment amusing too. I think its just that [MENTION=6775031]Saelorn[/MENTION] doesn't realize that what RPGs are doing is a form of story-telling, and all stories have conflict. Every tale has a protagonist and an antagonist, and the protagonist has some dramatic need which can only be met by overcoming the antagonist. Even simple dungeon crawls have this structure. The characters need money, fame, power, and the dungeon is in their way of getting it, so its the party against the dungeon. Every single thing that happens in any RPG is framed in dramatic conflict, which is why a system that recognizes that and is structured around it is going to provide the most overall successful type of RP experience. It may not be the 'best game' for every person to play, OD&D might produce better dungeon crawls, but OD&D can't do ANYTHING else well at all.

I actually agree in that I think 4E at first launch was rushed, over-hyped and under-tested. Given that I am amazed that a system with such huge potential came out of it. I expected a slight clean-up on 3.5E - which I was OK with at the time. It is a testament to 4E that, while I might play 5E or even AD&D/2e, I would not go back to 3.X now even for payment. The effort to return ratio is just so far out of scale that I couldn't face it.

That I say 'Amen!' to brother. I can't go back, in fact I personally can't even go 'back' to 5e. I can play it if its "here's what the group you want to play with does" but its not the cause of a better game, and I won't GM it.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
An idealized game of Dungeons & Dragons might involve four individuals-of-disparate-skill-set wandering into an abandoned ruin, where they analyze the clues at hand, prevent traps from going off, and run away before monsters spot them. Alternatively, they might leave their own traps for the monsters to encounter, or set up an ambush where they can kill the monsters without fear of repercussion.
I say this with absolute respect, but this is the exact reason why there need to be multiple versions of the game. I'd bail on a campaign like this in about 2 sessions. No fighting, nothing but puzzle exploration stuff? No, just no.

Imaro

Legend
I say this with absolute respect, but this is the exact reason why there need to be multiple versions of the game. I'd bail on a campaign like this in about 2 sessions. No fighting, nothing but puzzle exploration stuff? No, just no.

I agree with what you're saying but would also cite this as a reason I put little stock in talk of nostalgia, game "evolution" or objectively better design when it comes to D&D. IMO it just doesn't apply to a game that is used by as many different people in as many different ways and styles as D&D is... a particular edition can be perfect for your preferences and a total dead end for a different style...

Well, this kind of clever isn’t orthogonal to SCs at all. In fact, I would say SCs could be a useful tool to resolving that kind of clever.

From some of your other posts, a lot of the inappropriateness seems to come down to when to use a SC or not. You don’t have to/shouldn’t use a SC in all situations. If a party decides to sneak through the woods to bypass a combat encounter there's no combat encounter. Once you’re in the combat encounter however, there isn't often an 'I win' button in 4e by design. You have to play it out under the structure of combat. Of course, you can always retreat from the combat and find another way to obtain your goal though. Same in a SC. Once you decide a SC is appropriate, you have to play it out under the structure of a SC (or abandon the goal and figure something else out).

A SC is a choice. And by deciding on a SC the group is declaring that:

1) this goal requires multiple, incremental actions (and shouldn't fail on just 1 action)
2) success and failure are interesting and meaningful
3) the nature of skill checks and actions are now changed- a single action can only lead to incremental success or partial failure.
4) the nature of actions can become more abstract (doesn’t have to be but has the flexibility to be). Each skill check can serve as an abstraction for a bunch of related activity.

Once you've accepted this, I just don't think it's that hard to make sure each check either leads incrementally closer to the goal or is a setback (and do this fairly smoothly inside the fiction).

Yes, X success before Y failures is a little artificial but not really more so than HP and other traditional ways to measure success/failure.

I also have to say that the SC tool was in its infancy and never really had the chance to be refined and built upon.

For instance what if there was an option for either

X success before y failure
Or
X successes in Y rounds (like Stalker’s Obsidian)

The second has a very different feel and might be a better fit for some situations.

Also you may be feeling the lack of strategic choices for the player. I definitely wish there were more choices than just narrative framing and skill choice. IMO this helped bolster the 'it's just a bunch of skill checks' thing. Imagine if in combat you abstracted everything but the attack role and which kind of attack you chose. Not as satisfying I think.

I haven't found many systems that add an additional layer to abstract non combat resolution mechanics well but look at Diaspora (Fate) social combat. This structure gives a few interesting choices to players using an abstract 'map'.

Here's the example in brief (I’m simplifying a bit):

The PCs want to use a political/social campaign to persuade the government of Planet Z to end the slave trade, while their opponents want the government to ramp up the slave trade and go to war with Planet W (very appropriate for a SC).

There's a map that basically looks like this, with each ‘O’ and the ends being separate ‘zones’:

(Free Planet Z) – O – O – O – O – O – (War with Planet W)

The party (as a group) is represented as a token and the opposition is represented as a token. There are also four tokens representing the key influencers -- Working Class (WC), the Academics (A), the Nobles (N), and the Thought Police (TP). Each token starts on different zones depending on their initial predisposition on the issue.

The goal is to get three influencers into a target zone (each side of the map), which ensures the government of Planet Z acts toward that goal.

It’s decided both sides have 7 turns to do this (representing 6 months).

All actions are resolved with an abstract skill check (like SC) but there are several options for what a success of a check can mean:
A) move a influencer token closer to a target goal (level of success indicates how far can move)
b) set up a barrier for the opposition to overcome before it can move things
C) create an asset that can be used for a bonus on a later roll
D) attack the opposition's mental/social hit points directly in an attempt to take them out of play (note that doing this in itself doesn't meet the goal)
E) move along the map, representing getting closer or farther from the sphere of influence of a target (how far you are from your target influences difficulty on your skill check)

This actual play is very similar to a SC -- a bunch of skill checks with narrative positioning. However this structure adds a bit more strategic depth during the challenge.

Really cool stuff and an example of what 5e could have included (at least as an optional DM module) if it wanted to push the SC concept further. That’s my biggest disappointment from all the SC hate-- that it killed an interesting concept and didn’t give it time to be developed into something even better.

I don't know. I tried Stalker0's system, and I monkeyed around with a few other people with maps and tracks and etc. But you know what we found? That these things might all be 'better strategy games', but they were EVEN FURTHER removed from the logic of the narrative at hand. The SC system is simple and dramatic, 3 strikes and you're out. It doesn't have an elaborate structure that needs to be somehow mapped onto something. I just don't see how in your example of the Diaspora system you can really relate the narrative easily to pushing 'groups' along tracks. And even assuming this particular challenge was well suited to the narrative (maybe it is, we don't know much about the narrative) but is it really generalizable?

That's the thing with the SC system as-written, or many similar variations, its simple and generalizable. Stalker0's system also was pretty generalizable, but what I found was it wasn't materially a 'better mapping', they're all a BIT abstract. You just have to learn how to run these things. Failures might represent loss of resources, or increasing opposition, or passing time, or etc. but there's always something. Every narrative has something vital that the protagonist must accomplish and they can get nearer to or further from accomplishing it. This makes the default system actually pretty powerful. Most of what it needs is really good exposition, and the 4e DMGs and RC never QUITE got there.

Every tale has a protagonist and an antagonist, and the protagonist has some dramatic need which can only be met by overcoming the antagonist.
There's a huge difference between a protagonist and a PoV-character, though. I think that's one of those conceptual buy-ins that 4E expects from the players, because they really hit you over the head with the protagonism :-/

Does it count as fighting if you snipe them from the other side of the river? In essence, combat in this game mode becomes a kind of a puzzle - how to defeat the monsters without engaging them in combat.

If the monster can jump across the river or teleport or shoot fire at you, or something else you didn't account for, then fighting it out is your penalty for failing to defeat the monster outright.

From my own experience and what I've gathered here, entering a Skill Challenge isn't something that the players have control over. It's imposed by the DM, in response to the PCs trying to accomplish a task, where the DM wants to make things complicated. The DM decides that this task carries a certain amount of narrative weight, so the PCs will need to overcome X number of level-appropriate challenges in order for the outcome to be suitably dramatic.

As was explained to me above, the DM might decide that 6 successes are necessary, and then starts allocating those among the various sub-tasks that come up. You need to gather raw materials for that boat? The DM decides to spend a challenge on that in order to invoke uncertainty here; it can be a medium DC or a hard DC, but whatever the DM decides to spend, it will eat up the designated amount of drama budget and reduce the number of further complications might arise.

Declaring a Skill Challenge is a purely antagonistic move by the DM, against the players, via Rule of Drama.

At least, that's what I get out of this conversation.

That's a good way to think about it, I suppose. The difference, to me, is that I never saw HP as terribly abstract.

Remove ads