D&D 4E The Best Thing from 4E

What are your favorite 4E elements?

Tony Vargas

Legend
If the world is set up for it, then interesting stories should happen all over the place. Not just to the player characters, but to similar sorts of NPCs throughout the world.
I know what you're really getting at, it just /sounds/ like you're claiming that you run through what happens to every NPC in the world...

That's why I'm asking. Your answer seems somewhat at odds with what was previously suggested, but taking both answers together, I can try to understand what people are saying here.
Go back to Manbearcat's original post, DM violating the social contract is the crux of what he was talking about. Well, leveraging a weak rule system to get away with violating the social contract.

I know what you're really getting at, it just /sounds/ like you're claiming that you run through what happens to every NPC in the world...
From a practical standpoint, I just apply a weighted statistical analysis to determine what else goes on in the world. If you're going rules-as-physics, then it amounts to much the same thing. At least, the end results are nigh indistinguishable.

Go back to Manbearcat's original post, DM violating the social contract is the crux of what he was talking about. Well, leveraging a weak rule system to get away with violating the social contract.
Violating the social contract is never cool, no matter who does it. I'll definitely agree that 4E gave the DM less room to get away with that. Do you know which number that original post was? I can't believe that anyone would suggest violating social contract as a good way for some people to run a game.

D'karr

Adventurer
It makes more sense to me that giants live further away from town, because nobody would build a town right by where a bunch of giants live (and a town wouldn't survive having a bunch of giants move in nearby). Most worlds really do make sense, from that sort of angle. At least, all of the published settings I know of are examples of this.

It might make more sense but in reality is just a different form of catering to the adventuring potential of the PCs. The giants don't live close by to the town because this area is level 1-3.

However, nearby there is a dungeon with threats ranging from level 1-5

I've never seen or played an adventure for level 1-3 players where the crux of the adventure is that a high level threat is attacking directly the area the PCs are in. Yes, the power behind the throne might be a high level threat, but only his low level minions, and possibly a mid-level sergeant attack the town the level 1-3 PCs are in.

Of course the PCs defeat that threat and find out about the high level threat, but their route must first take them to the mid-level Lieutenant threat. By the time the PCs actually encounter the high-level threat they are themselves mid-high level and can handle it.

I've never seen or played an adventure for level 1-3 players where the crux of the adventure is that a high level threat is attacking directly the area the PCs are in.
I've played in a few. Once it was a dragon, and another was just an evil wizard. The goal of the PCs (as well as everyone else) is usually to run away without being noticed, and spread the word to nearby villages so they can either flee or muster some sort of meaningful response.

I've also played in a campaign where cities over there were being obliterated by a powerful magical force, and the only difference between those two situations is where the PCs start in relation to the phenomenon. When your party is a hundred miles away, and have just received notice of the Big Bad, then some other party was probably right in its path.

S'mon

Legend
For the fictional accomplishment of killing the monsters to depend upon the precise mechanical details in which an encounter is framed seems to require a type of merging together of the game and meta-game that, at least at my table, I think doesn't happen.

It's a simulationist-gamist nexus which is part of 3e, and in other editions of D&D, but definitely not part of 4e. In 4e I never feel the NPC guard is 'really' a 3rd level soldier, whereas in eg 1e AD&D
saying the guard is a 3rd level Fighter usually feels like you are saying something meaningful about the guard's
place in the (fictional) universe, not just his game-role. 4e is a big departure from that.

S'mon

Legend
I've never seen or played an adventure for level 1-3 players where the crux of the adventure is that a high level threat is attacking directly the area the PCs are in. Yes, the power behind the throne might be a high level threat, but only his low level minions, and possibly a mid-level sergeant attack the town the level 1-3 PCs are in.

Oh, those definitely exist. Not all adventures are 'kill all the bad guys'. Some may be 'flee the bad guys'. A good example of asymmetric threat is Death Dealer: Shadows of Mirahan. Mirahan is a god, the level 7-9 PCs can't directly beat him, or his army. They need to get the Death Dealer to do it for them.
Or, one campaign of mine climaxed in a hopeless, '300' style defence against overwhelming odds, another undead army. The PCs and their allies were all going to die - at any rate, they did all die - but they held the bridge long enough to save their people.

I don't agree with this, because player power is all filtered through the GM. Can you use the skill that way? The GM decides. Is it appropriate at this level, in this campaign, at this time, etc? The GM decides. Is it Easy/Moderate/Hard? The GM decides. None of that strikes me as player empowering. It strikes me as the opposite, in fact.
In what game is this not true? I mean its simply not plausible to me that your RPG spells out a formula for each skill that literally deterministically states for all situations when and how that skill is useful, what the DC is, and what the results of use/failure are going to be. I can imagine you have covered the most basic common cases of skill uses that probably DO cover 80% of skill checks, but so does every other game. When the rogue asks what the DC is going to be for leaping off the balcony onto the top of the flaming balloon, riding it to the ceiling and leaping to the ledge, you can't possibly pull that off a chart. Presumably in 4e someone is going to say its a hard stunt of DC N, and make an Acrobatics check. I think that's about as transparent/empowering as you can get, isn't it?

I do see how this is transparent (like objective DCs), but I don't see it as empowering players. With objective DCs, skill list uses, powers, action points, etc., all the tools are in the hands of the players. That empowers them to act. That's why people in this thread have said they love powers and the power system.

On the other hand, while saying "I don't think you're powerful enough to do this" is transparent, it doesn't empower the players, does it? Or are you saying that once the PCs decipher the GMs (hopefully) transparent reasoning on allowing some things and not allowing them, they'll be able to declare more actions than they would before figuring it out (and thus gain more power)? I could see that argument, but my gut doesn't tell me it trumps direct player empowerment ("you, as a player, have the power to do X.").
In my opinion when people talk about 'empowerment' they are saying "the players have clear rules and guidelines they can use to decide if they can do this thing or not", which is empowering because it removes the doubt and makes explicit the risks and rewards inherent in an action. The rules don't empower players by giving them more options, they just make the options work better for them. They may also sometimes mean mechanisms that increase the facility with which players interact with the game in other similar ways. The 'moves' of DW can be said to be empowering simply for the way they clearly delineate how you interact with the world. Any player can be sure they are 'doing it right' by using those moves.

I think transparency is a major type of empowerment, not the only one by any means.

I guess it depends on the skill. I don't think any of my PCs can hit a Hard DC in something they aren't trained in, for example.

Thank you for the long and helpful reply :)

It depends on what levels your PCs are. At level 1 a PC with a 10 in a stat will have a 0 bonus, without training. They can hit a hard level 1 DC on a 19. This is pretty hard, but its not impossible. The same character with a 14 stat and one of the many +2 static skill bonuses granted by races, feats, some classes, etc succeeds on a 15, they can perform this hard task with a bit of luck. In any case, I don't know why everyone should have to be able to do everything. Clearly at level 30 a character with a 10 in a stat (started with an 8) and no bonuses of any kind can't even do an easy task without a 19, but its a demi-god level task, and they won't pass a medium skill check ever. I don't think this is disempowering at all, its just very clear, you have to invest in your skills, to be able to do the really hard stuff.

pemerton

Legend
There's also the very strong possibility that the players play in-character, the GM runs the world as a sim-engine, and interesting stories happen anyway.

I used to follow a podcast, where they made frequent mention of something called "the adventuring paradigm"

<snip>

I would say that D&D also has a strong adventuring paradigm, without DM intervention.
If the world is set up for it, then interesting stories should happen all over the place.
In this approach, the GM frontloads his/her "intervention" into world design. What exactly the expectations are for the players (what is their job, what sort of pleasure are they meant to get out of play, etc) will depend on individual groups, on what considerations inform the GM's world design, etc.

In classic Gygaxian style, the GM might design a single megadungeon with layered levels in easy walking distance from the PCs' home town. Or, in classic 2nd ed style, the GM might have mercenaries working for the evil overlord attack the PCs' home town. Different starting points, and different shared understandings of how the players should respond and engage, will produce different play experiences.

Though getting rid of the metagame is hard. If the players in the Gygaxian game decide that their PCs don't want to take the risk of exploring the dungeon, not much will happen. If the players in the 2nd ed game decide that their PCs surrender to the mercenaries, not much will happen.

The Gygaxian game is probably less prone to illusionism. The players want to explore and loot the dungeon, they choose to have their PCs similarly motivated, and the focus of the game is on dungeon hijinks.

The 2nd ed game is more prone to illusionism, because the 2nd ed rulebooks do not, in themseves, give the GM anything like the tools necessary to run a "resist the evil overlord" game in a way that doesn't deprotagonise the PCs.

I've never been a fan of protagonism, and I've never seen it as critical to any edition of D&D (with the possible exception of 4E). Maybe it's because I started with 2E, and that edition had more of a participationism ideal. For me, whenever something happens because you're the hero, it just feels hollow and kind of pointless; I would rather read a book, or watch a movie, than play that sort of game.
The bit about starting with 2nd ed doesn't surprise me.

The bit about why stuff happens does, though - or at least it confuses me a bit. Why do the mercenaries happen to attack just now, when the 4 PCs are gathered together at the town inn ready and able to confront them? Why is the decades or centuries old megadungeon waiting to be looted right now, rather than having been looted by some other random person days or weeks or years ago? The "adventure paradigm" you've described depends upon framing the adventure opportunities around the geographic and temporal circumstances of the PCs.

In the Gygaxian campaign, the GM is likely to drop rumours of a new dungeon, across the wilderness, once the PCs reach 3rd or 4th level. (But not before.) Why do the rumours emerge then? Because PCs of that level can survive a wilderness trek.

The world of D&D, much like the real world, is full of people who live ordinary lives that are - to the external observer - relatively dull. The PCs are not among them. But this is because the GM injects content having regard to metagame considerations. The "adventure paradigm" doesn't really avoid that - it is just a particular way of handling that metagame.

I also don't really follow your movie/book comparison - I will try and explain why below.

Your answer seems somewhat at odds with what was previously suggested, but taking both answers together, I can try to understand what people are saying here.
I think [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] is more strongly emphasising the social dimensions of illusionism - ie it is a type of cheating - whereas I was more strongly emphasising the techniques that are involved, and how they are related to the goals of play.

While I don't dissent from what Tony says, I think it is towards the harsher end of fair description. GMs who opt for illusionist techniques aren't (necessarily) "bad" - often they're just following instructions in rulebooks, or following models presented in rulebooks, and don't know any techniques for doing things differently.

It's also complicated because the line between illusioninsm and participationism is blurred. In a Cthulhu game where the GM is narrating my PC's descent into madness, I know that I am just there to have a good time. It is very much like watching a film, but - because I have the job of providing some colour for my character (eg the details of my ranting about the coming of Nyarlathotep) - it is a bit more immediate and intimate.

In a 2nd ed AD&D game, where I am engaging in the trappings of protagonism - making choices for my PC, rolling dice, etc - but I know that the GM is manipulating the fiction and even some of the mechanics to make these trappings irrelevant - it is a bit less clear. Even if I am a willing participant, I don't know where the GM is wielding power and where s/he is not. So the extent to which I am a mere participant is itself unclear, or shrouded in illusion.

I find this frustrating because I can't just sit back and enjoy the ride, because I'm expected to contribute something; but some of my contributions are irrelevant because the GM will negate them, and so it's hard to get very enthusiastic about contributing at all. Frustration is only compounded if the GM is being covert about the whole situation in the actual course of play (even if, in the abstract, we all know what the GM is doing) and so you find yourself caught in battles of power.

For instance, if I declare actions for my PC and the GM blocks (eg rope problems of the sort [MENTION=2656]Aenghus[/MENTION] was discussing upthread), how do I know whether this is the GM adjudicating the action resolution rules - and so I have to declare more actions for my PC to work around the block - or the GM exercising power to shape the fiction in a particular direction - and so it is pointless for me to try and work around the block, and I should just sit back and wait to be told by the GM what happens? This sort of uncertainty, and hence practical impasse, is very common in my experience of 2nd ed-style play. Personally I hate it.

Once it is clear that the players' choices really do matter, and that they are capable of making a difference to the fiction in virtue of those choices, I think the experience becomes quite different from a movie or a book. Because the players become a species of co-author rather than mere audience.

That seems awfully pessimistic. And I know it's not strictly true, because I have encountered DMs who run a fair sandbox without changing things for or against the PCs.
I don't want to spoil the tone of the thread, just call me a pessimist then. I consider this assertion unproven. In 35 years of playing and DMing I've never seen it happen. I'm sure there are many people who THINK they are doing this. I humbly submit that they're unaware of the actual processes going on at the table.

It makes more sense to me that giants live further away from town, because nobody would build a town right by where a bunch of giants live (and a town wouldn't survive having a bunch of giants move in nearby). Most worlds really do make sense, from that sort of angle. At least, all of the published settings I know of are examples of this.

Again, I haven't found a setting which I find to be even remotely logical. Sure, there are often a bunch of things that are explained in terms of some logic. Its debatable whether said logic WORKS or not, and in a sea of illogicality a few isolated logical elements don't really count for much since their entire context doesn't make sense and is contrived as I stated earlier.

Don't get me wrong. I don't find any of this to be a FLAW in settings. Quite the contrary it is a necessary and entirely understandable part and parcel of building a D&D setting. They are fantastical localities designed specifically to present a finely tuned set of circumstances to the players of adventuring PCs. They don't function according to any consistent internal logic, don't model any kind of world which could come into existence by any sort of organic process, nor can we even define the logically consistent rules which they are purposed to be following!

Honestly the greatest triumph of 4e FUNDAMENTALLY was realizing and explicitly being designed around the fact that the rules are there to facilitate a fun game of D&D and have no other purpose nor serve any other master. In 4e strategic teleport works a certain way BECAUSE IT MAKES A BETTER GAME. It took D&D's designers 40 years to get to that point, but they finally did and the results were startlingly effective. Even if you have issues with 4e you do have to admit that it solved a LOT of problems of this ilk. Of course you can hate the concomitant slaying of cows, but that's a whole other matter of taste which is best left to each individual and not aired around in forums.

Again, I haven't found a setting which I find to be even remotely logical. Sure, there are often a bunch of things that are explained in terms of some logic. Its debatable whether said logic WORKS or not, and in a sea of illogicality a few isolated logical elements don't really count for much since their entire context doesn't make sense and is contrived as I stated earlier.

On a tangent, I don't consider the real world to be remotely logical by the standards of a D&D setting. I mean, have you looked at the biology of Australia? Or the causes of World War 1? Or the way that we have this amazing resource called the internet and it's used mostly for pictures of cats?

Remove ads