• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The best Villian

ScarletDuke

First Post
I am in the process of creating a campaign and i am looking to create a nemisis for my players. I was just wanting to know which do you think would be more feared a Psion or a Wizard.

1: Which do you think is more powerful, and why?

I know either will be deadly, depending on how much power i give them. But i am going for sheer Name and class recognition. Meaning which would you fear to do battle with the most. Also in my campaign Psionics is different than magic.

ScarletDuke

Jeremy

Explorer
Sorcerers scare me the most in up front combat. Save or Die. Again. Again. Again.

Wizards scare me the most to have as enemies. Research spells to use against us, teleport in and away, all kinds of defenses/disguises/feints to use against us. Much more variety, no clear thing to defend against. Every encounter with him different. Sometimes using Area of Effect attacks, sometimes dividing us with walls, sometimes sending Nightmares to our spellcasters dreams so they don't get their spells, sometimes feinting with combinations of summoned creatures and illusions... Do not get on a wizard's black list.

Psions scare me the most from behind the scenes. Best introduced as a political figure or civil servant or underground contact these people (especially Telepaths and Seers) have ways of finding out everything, showing up anywhere, and have too many friend in high places. Do not get on their bad side.

For your purposes, I'd say Sorcerer.

Last edited:

Xarlen

First Post
This should be in the General Forum.

A wizard. I'm just biased, but they have the utter versitility on their sides. Scrolls, a different spell list every day, able to have henchmen use created potions, or buffer spells layered on, etc.

Could this be our wizard, polymorphed? Could that be his familiar, watching us through the window? Aaah! I've been hit with a nightmare!

Spatzimaus

First Post
In general, Psion. When making a villain you want something the PCs can't neutralize easily. A Psion isn't stopped by Silence, Hold Person, etc., and can wear armor.
Players also tend to be less familiar with Psion powers, and while Psions aren't as good for raw damage, they're really good at the insidious stuff.
And, if you're using the Psionics Is Different rule (which I personally would never do, but YMMV) the PCs won't have good defenses against his abilities.

Xarlen

First Post
I, however, agree with Spats.

Psions make good lackies, members of a Triumvant (a villain's ally), etc.

With a psion, you never know what you can get. He could be using a bow, in full armor, and then start whipping out Concussions on them. They may not know where it's coming from (If he's using hide power).

He could even pose as an ally, under a guise. Imagine your torch barer actually mentally controlling, contacting, or alerting monsters ahead.

gfunk

First Post
Well if Psi and Magic are different I think a Psion is a no-brainer. A high-level Psion might put his base of operations in a Dead Magic or Anti-Magic Zone to give him the supreme advantage.

Telepaths, especially are most fearesome -- esp. when you are talking about name recognition. Thrall is an awesome power -- the ability to make someone your permanent slave. Also the Psion could have the power Genesis, which would allow him to have his own personal demiplane. This could potentially block scrying and other divination attempts.

Xarlen

First Post
Let's not forget what kind've havoc a Psychic Warrior/Psion can do in combat, if done with a Str based one.

A buddy told me about a game in Greyhawk. Inside a Dead Magic Zone, there was a notorous, bad-guy hang out called Whispers. In this Bar, no one talked loud. No one. If they did, the Illithid Tavernkeeper Mindblasted them, and made them his new Tavern worker. Many of his Thralls were the bouncers.

Dragon.

How is that for name recognition?

I don't think you should let them know who is after them. Imagine months, even years of trying to figure out who is after them, just to find a Fighter, Rouge, or even a Bard. Or have these as lackeys to the Wizard that they still have not found out about.

Arcanus

First Post
Go with the wizard.
He can make items tailored to kick the parties @#!
Not to mention researching his new spells.

He can teleport in while they are resting or whatever and not even stay to kick their butts he can just summon in monsters.

His lackeys could have cursed magic items that the party can
believe that is valuable treasure.

Heck the possibilities are endless.
Polymorphing into the exact likeness of one of the members and commiting crimes to frame them.
Leaving them fire trapped rooms at their inns, explosive runes on letters sent to them.

Malhavoc

First Post
1. Half-Orc Barbarian w/ a bunch of stuff to boost sunder

2. underlings that splash acid at them to destroy other things

Sure, they're probably kill him, but they'll be broke afterwards :)

Make sure whoever they 'save' rewards them with gratitude, not monetarily.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads