• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The big mechanical expansion

raleel

Explorer
All I want is Modules like they promised us during the playtest.
  • Advanced tactical combat module (facing, flanking, stances, maneuvers)
  • Narrative control module (super-inspiration, scene-framing, aspects)
  • Social intrigue module (influence, factions, politics, legal systems)
  • Domain management module (build a castle/temple/guild, gain followers, piss off your neighbors)
  • Crafting magic items module (preferably three very different versions so that none becomes the de-facto standard)

This. Essentially, guides on how to torture the system into other things. I am pretty good about this, but it's always nice to have some baselines to work with.

Truth, 5e is very solid. It doesn't need a lot more. It's focused, it's fairly flawless in a lot of ways. Probably my second favorite d20, and maybe my first explicitly D&D.

I mean, except for a warlord... and some tables

mellored

Legend
Artificer, Warlord. Psionics only if they are more different than a spell point wizards.

Curses, Injuries, and other long term conditions.

Mass combat, naval combat.

I'd love a book with the player options, enemies, extra rules bits, and fluff to with them, for each of: Eberron, Dragonlance, Mystara, Dark Sun, and maybe Greyhawk.

A lot of it would simply be explaining giants in Eberron, or Draconians in Dragonlance, and how the setting uses them differently than the core, but you'd also have stuff like the Dragonlances, Kender, a reprint with any needed updates of the Minotaur from the waterborne adventures UA, updates of the stuff in the Eberron UA, Muls and the other races of Dark Sun, etc.

If it has to leave out Mystara and Greyhawk, I'd be fine with that, but I think you could fit all of it into a phb sized book.

Maybe we should compile a list of what (sub)races, (sub)classes, feats, variants, magic items, monsters, extra rules options (like Eberron's Action Points or DS universal minor psionics) that make the settings complete?

It seems like with CoS and TotYP that they are opening up the multiverse a bit. I have also noticed a fair bit of 4e-related fluff in the UA's, so I am hoping PoL is one of the settings they will touch on in the BBoC, as there are some missing classes (warlord and invoker [although some kind of angel patron warlock wouldn't be too far off]) and a couple of classes that I don't think have translated well (I liked the warden for growing horns or turning into a rock dude, for me the entangling bit was just an add on, and I like the curse-focused warlock).

I would add Planescape and/or Spell Jammer to the list, but either of those would be good for "adventure starts in FR and moves elsewhere" AP's like CoS. I could see the PC's having to make day trips (away missions or shore leave) to various planes as part of the adventure. As such, I could live with them holding off on those 2 settings in this book if I thought a related AP would eventually come.

The list is beyond me, I mostly remember the stuff I stole for my homebrews from the various settings. If this turns out to be a big part of the BBoC, I am sure there will be many lists on Enworld (which will probably stir some fond memories and maybe a few "oh yeah, that is where I got that from").

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Let me know when its finished.

:D
Will do, but I'm currently only at the very initial stages of the project (the ones that look a lot like I haven't started it at all), and it's a lower priority that other projects I'm working on (converting a few hundred Scarred Lands monsters to 5e, painting a few hundred miniatures, and a few home improvements), so it really could be years before I finish, assuming my want for it isn't alleviated by something else in the meanwhile.

Dausuul

Legend
Much of this has already been tested in UA, but needs a polished final version:

1. More and better warlock invocations.
2. Some new and improved sorcerer subclasses, and more sorcerer spells.
3. A totally revamped ranger, preferably with a noncasting option.
4. A "noble" class which serves as nonmagical support (inspiration, tactical advantage, etc.). One of the noble subclasses would be the warlord; this would be the sword-swinging subclass, much like a Valor bard.
5. More cleric domains, such that it's feasible to create most well-known pantheons without having to do stuff like shoehorn Aphrodite into Trickery.
6. Another druid subclass or two.
7. More feats, especially ones suitable for casters.

Li Shenron

Legend
Hi everyone.

A big mechanical expansion is comming relatively soon for 5th edition. What do you hope, dream, want,etc to be in it? What would you like to see expanded upon? What classes, subclasses, races, feats etc would you like to see.

I'd like to see both a good selection of character material and rules modules.

For character material, the most important thing for me is to get as many of the the UA archetypes as possible, because I really liked them all conceptually, and I think that having at least 4-5 options per class (and twice as many for the "core four" classes) makes the game plentiful in options.

In addition, I wish to see smaller additions, such as:

- new options for (sub)class features e.g. fighting styles, maneuvers, invocations, totem warrior's animals, hunter's abilities...
- new feats that aren't combat-related
- new armors & shields with special features

I don't think I need more spells or magic items but of course a few interesting additions are always good.

I am against getting new base classes (unless they are really different and bring something major to the game such as psionics) and new backgrounds (useless, and too many already).

For rules modules, I will welcome pretty much anything, but my favourite additions right now would be:

- reasonable mass battle rules
- turn-based exploration rules
- aerial combat rules (not too complex)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
...naval combat.
Second this one...I'd be very interested to see what they'd come up with.

Gardens & Goblins said:
Birthright.
This would fit in nicely with some other requests here for some sort of treatment of nobility and social status.

Other than this, the idea of a big mechanical "expansion" - implying strongly there's a bunch more mechanics coming - is about the opposite of what I'd be looking for; were I to jump to 5e I'd already be stripping out a whole bunch as it is. :)

Lan-"but there's always room for more tables"-efan

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Second this one...I'd be very interested to see what they'd come up with.

This would fit in nicely with some other requests here for some sort of treatment of nobility and social status.

Other than this, the idea of a big mechanical "expansion" - implying strongly there's a bunch more mechanics coming - is about the opposite of what I'd be looking for; were I to jump to 5e I'd already be stripping out a whole bunch as it is. :)

Lan-"but there's always room for more tables"-efan

Aye, I mean sure we can convert the domain stuff over, the bloodlines and all that goodness - there's even a conversion attempt out there I believe. Nobility, stronghold building, furnishing and the like. Nation-wide resource systems. All that good stuff.

To be honest I wouldn't want it to be campaign specific. I just think that Birthright took the game in a way that we rarely get to enjoy these days and one that really suits high level play. Domain management, struggle for holdings, castles and towers, forests and harbours.

Loved it.

Remove ads