• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The big mechanical expansion

Li Shenron

Legend
Other than this, the idea of a big mechanical "expansion" - implying strongly there's a bunch more mechanics coming - is about the opposite of what I'd be looking for; were I to jump to 5e I'd already be stripping out a whole bunch as it is. :)

Do you think the Basic rules are already too much? Is there something you'd strip from those too? Or is there even something you dislike that it cannot be stripped out?

Personally I would have wanted a lower bound for complexity (especially for spellcasters*). When I try to play 5e with beginners, I always strip out some stuff that IMHO are mostly fiddly bits but significantly increase complexity, such as races and backgrounds, but technically are a mandatory part of the game.

*for instance I am now planning some adventures for my children, and I am finding the number of spells known & prepared to be too high for them to managed, already at level 1

I would be happy to get some low-complexity archetypes for Cleric, Wizard and Rogue, just like we have the Champion for the Fighter. Would you be interested in a low-complexity "hack" if it was included in the expansion book (although I really don't think it will happen)?

G

Guest 6801328

I don't really want more classes. Maybe a few sub-classes.

But I'd really like to see expanded systems for Exploration and Social Interaction. Reducing those "scenes" to one or two dice rolls is really unfortunate.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Look, there are plenty of variants on these. We need some Pielord support. Those of us who played 4e and prefer a group orient play style prefer to powers like Piemanders strike, Brash Piessault, and Provoke Piextension. We deserve some support in our crustiness!

Perhaps we can have a table to show what kind of pie they use
Sure, but that's not going to be a piece of cake to implement. The audience has had a lot of turnover since 4e. I can understand why they're waffling on it.

CydKnight

Explorer
Hi everyone.

A big mechanical expansion is comming relatively soon for 5th edition. What do you hope, dream, want,etc to be in it? What would you like to see expanded upon? What classes, subclasses, races, feats etc would you like to see.
Define "big" and why you feel that any mechanical rules expansion(s) that might be "comming" would be "big" by your intention of the word.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
The quote from Mearls and/or Crawford was something along the lines of, "We are working on the game's first major mechanical expansion." Sorry, I'm too tired to google for the exact quote. But it was pretty unequivocal.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Expansion on modern play, and a future/space opera setting.

I can't even tell ya how much I wish they hadn't lost the Star Wars license. I *really* don't like anything fantasy flight has done with it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Who needs Star Wars, man. That's so mainstream. Blah blah jedi blah blah sith blah blah part of the DisneyMegaCorp blah blah only plays Stadiums now blah blah ...

What we need is Star Frontiers 5e! Vrusk! Yazirians! SATHAR!!!!!

An Ifshnit here, a Humma there, and we'll be cooking with gas ... or at least with some Knight Hawks rules expansion.

Lol ok, sure. I've never heard of that, but I'll read up on it.

I'd love for 5e to get a brand new setting, btw. I want them to update the mechanical feature of existing settings, first, but dear gods I'd love something new.

If it's a space opera setting, sweet!

On second thought...I'm currently building a setting whose future era has elves and gnomes and dwarves and trolls in space, alongside sentient octopoids from Europa, horned tree dwelling empaths from a forest with sentient trees, and Eldritch horrors from beyond time lurking in the void between stars.

Maybe I don't want wotc horning in on my niche!

Remove ads