D&D General The Brilliance of the Original Gygaxian Multiverse

This is untrue. The law of non-contradiction doesn't depend upon finiteness.

I was being flip. The law of non-contradiction isn’t true, because, simply put, it sometimes does not apply.

The Middle Way by Nagarjuna, is an excellent text to experience the logical methodology of the tetra-lemma. The philosopher Graham Priest has very interesting papers dealing in part with how current logic tools can illustrate the problems in ‘Classical Logic’.....sorry a non-sequitur..but if innovative advanced analytical logic is your jam....check his work out.

Last edited:

FWIW, I have always thought the Prime Material Plane contains the worlds of Krynn, Greyhawk, etc., including my homebrew, yours, and everyone else's.

Yes and No.

When Elminster visits Dalamar on Krynn, or Mordenkainen on Oerth, he travels to a different material Plane. Dalamars Prime material (relative to him) and Mordenkainens Prime material (relative to him). Once he is done, he returns to his Prime material plane (relative to him).

He was always in 'the' Prime material plane. Just in someone elses. And he had to Plane shift to get there.

There are multiple material planes; each one being 'the' Prime material plane for its own native inhabitants.

Again, see Rick Sanchez and Earth C-137 and C-132.

darjr

I crit!
There was someone running games where the PCs would end up as different people native to the plane they shifted to. I always wanted to try that .

Coroc

Hero

1. First, characters are explicitly portable between campaigns. This is something that always used to be assumed, but (for whatever reason) rarely happens anymore; part of the reason is because the conception people have of the setting has changed.

Yep. They absolutely did have rules in 1e/2e to port characters from other settings - in whatever way the DM did decide this could happen (one way portal, downed spelljammer or whatever).
But they also strongly suggested to adapt the characters in these cases, e.g. switch faith to a god of the new world for clerics, change a paladin to a knight of the roses whatever.

But I can also remember having read something like "XY" world is very deadly, so you might consider bringing your beloved lvl 17cavalier into this setting. (I think it was about Darksun or so, please do not nail me on where this has come from, only thing I am sure is that I have read something along those lines)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yes and No.

When Elminster visits Dalamar on Krynn, or Mordenkainen on Oerth, he travels to a different material Plane. Dalamars Prime material (relative to him) and Mordenkainens Prime material (relative to him). Once he is done, he returns to his Prime material plane (relative to him).

He was always in 'the' Prime material plane. Just in someone elses. And he had to Plane shift to get there.

There are multiple material planes; each one being 'the' Prime material plane for its own native inhabitants.

Again, see Rick Sanchez and Earth C-137 and C-132.
Or it is just one Prime Material plane and they are going from world to world, like traveling from Earth to Mars. The "infinite" worlds of the Prime Material Plane can be all the different planets. But take it as you want. :)

Or it is just one Prime Material plane and they are going from world to world, like traveling from Earth to Mars. The "infinite" worlds of the Prime Material Plane can be all the different planets. But take it as you want. :)

They're literally different planes of existence.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Gygax said one thing and then implied the other. So going back to 1e and Gygax, you can have them be all different planes OR all one plane with different worlds. Up to you.

Oh, we can hedge between them, given that "planes" are not well-defined.

F'rex: the other "prime material planes" are in the same physical universe, but are outside each toher's observable universe, outside the space where light from one can reach the other. The only way to get from one to another is thorugh faster-than-light travel, which can be accomplised by various magics.

Remove ads