D&D General The Brilliance of the Original Gygaxian Multiverse

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I use the best of both worlds.

They are all in the same "prime material plane" as in you could physically travel from one to another.

But you cant teleport from one world to the other, you need plane shift.

Ethereal designates how much the world it surrounds is linked to magic. (so if a world is cut off from ethereal, no planar travel.

Astral is hyperspace, accessed either magically or scientifically.

"They are literally different poorly defined fictional magical things," seems a weak use of the term "literal".

Within the context of the metaphysics of the game reality.

Interestingly our own material plane is one of the material planes as well within that context. It's how interloper deities from Earth got to Faerun.

dave2008

Legend
Or it is just one Prime Material plane and they are going from world to world, like traveling from Earth to Mars. The "infinite" worlds of the Prime Material Plane can be all the different planets. But take it as you want. :)
I don't know or care if it is canon or not, but that is basically how I have treated most of the worlds in D&D (including my own). I think of at least Athas and Eberron as being separate in some way though.

Or could it be one Prime plane that contains an infinite number of parallel universes within it.

A parallel universe is a separate plane.

If you're running Spelljammer and MoTP, from memory the Phlogiston is basically a transitive plane (like the Ethereal and Astral plane and the Plane of Shadow).

You can either plane shift from Krynn to Faerun (either directly, or via a transitive plane), or you can take a Spelljamming vessel out of Krynns Crystal sphere, into the Phlogiston and then travel to Faeruns Crystal sphere from there.

They havent really unified those concepts yet. Crystal spheres only contained planetary systems, and not entire universes so when you factor in Spelljammer, it kind of breaks down a bit.

Remove ads