• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The C&C poll

A C&C poll

• Was a D&Der, sticking with just C&C now

Votes: 28 7.5%
  • Am (or was) a D&Der, converting largely to C&C instead

Votes: 28 7.5%
  • Am a D&Der, playing a lot of C&C as well

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • Am a D&Der, playing some C&C

Votes: 26 7.0%
  • Am a D&Der, curious about C&C

Votes: 91 24.3%
  • Am a D&Der, staying that way. No C&C.

Votes: 153 40.9%
  • C&C? What's that?

Votes: 34 9.1%

msd

First Post
I like C&C and enjoy visiting the Troll Lords forums - they have built a nice community of users who are, on the whole, a solid group of folks. Yes, there are a few zealots who come off overly bombastic and preachy, but what group doesn't have its share of "those guys"?

As for the game, again, I like the idea of a "lighter" D&D, but frankly, C&C seems to go to far. As others have noted, selectable skills and feats are neat and a feature of the current D&D ruleset that I really like. And frankly, the "C&C is modular...you can just add that stuff in" is not really an answer in my mind. If I have to finish the product to make it do what I want, I have to question whether the product is the right choice for me. For my dollar, its simply a lot easier to strip out the rules-heavy parts of 3.5 that I don't like than to add to C&C.

Having said that, I think C&C is still a fun game and I would readily play if someone offered...

RFisher

Explorer
I was unsure how to vote.

As a player, I'll pretty much play whatever the GM wants to run.

As a GM, I don't really have a problem with C&C. I just find no compelling reason to choose it above other games for anything I want to do. & it can be a good source of ideas to steal for my classic D&D games. I was going to offer it as a compromise if my group balked at playing classic D&D, but that wasn't an issue.

Heck, given the choice, I think they might have choosen classic D&D over C&C anyway.

Mythmere1

First Post
I blew out on 3e and wanted to play a simpler game, circa 2004. At the start, I was a big fan of C&C, but ultimately it has turned out not to be what I was looking for. I've ended up playing house-ruled 1e.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I like D&D.

And if I'm in the mood for something lighter, a system like True20 (or even SW Saga) does it without the preachy overtones.

I'm glad it exists for the fans it attracts, however. Obviously there's a vocal minority out there who don't like many of the directions that 3e took.

KenSeg

First Post
My group has been playing together for over 20 years now. We started with AD&D, moved into 2E, 3E and 3.5E. After much discussion, we all agree that we want to move away from 3.5E. The DM is looking over 1E, 2E and C&C now and will use one of them as a basis, then add back in his own houserules that we played with for years before 3E came about.

Looking forward to it.

-KenSeg
gaming since 1978

diaglo

Adventurer
KenSeg said:
My group has been playing together for over 20 years now. We started with AD&D, moved into 2E, 3E and 3.5E. After much discussion, we all agree that we want to move away from 3.5E. The DM is looking over 1E, 2E and C&C now and will use one of them as a basis, then add back in his own houserules that we played with for years before 3E came about.

Looking forward to it.

-KenSeg
gaming since 1978

might i suggest OD&D(1974) :D

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I think of C&C as a sort of "Jekyll and Hyde" sort of game. On the one hand it has this absolutely brilliant SIEGE mechanic, which is one of the best rules-light mechanics I've ever seen, while on the other hand it has ... AD&D. Ugh! If ever there were two tastes that did not taste great together (to me, this is just my opinion, m'kay...) it would be SIEGE + AD&D.

If I were to make a humble suggestion, it would be to release the SIEGE mechanic, combined with an aspect system ala Spirit of the Century as a standalone RPG product. I'd expect it to be about 32 pages total, and I think it would rock on toast.

--Steve

Remove ads