D&D 5E The Champion. Needs Fixing?

Does the Champion need fixing?

• No, it's fine.

Votes: 49 83.1%
  • Yes, it's weak.

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Multi-classing solves all.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who cares? It's a "girlfriend" class anyway.

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andor

First Post
Okay, so the Champion gets a lot of flak. The Battle Master gets less, and I haven't really seem any venom flung at the EK that I can recall.

So lets look at the Champion.

He's a sub-class of fighter. He is intended to be the simplest class/subclass to play, with almost no moving parts. Yet he is intended to be effective enough to not make a player who rolls one to regret his choice. Now there are some goals here which are inherently self-contradictory, and we also clearly have differing opinions about what the fictional archtype of a High level fighter should be. Some say Fafhrd, others Beowulf. Plus add in that the mundane fighter is pretty much the posterboy class for reuniting the fanbase split by the edition wars.

WotC had a pretty challanging set of competing design goals on the plate and it's actually impossible for them to have met all of them so... Let's see how they did.

The Champion adds 5 things to the base Fighter class over 15 levels.
Improved Critical
Remarkable Athlete
Additional Fighting Style
Superior Critical
Survivor

None of these have moving parts, there are no resources to manage or decisions to make in play with any of these. Which is less impressive than it sounds as far as meeting the "Simplest class" goal becuase the base Fighter already has Action Surge, Second Wind and Indomitable which are all limited resources, so we've broken the 1e feel before we even get to the gate. Let's ignore that and carry on.

Improved Critical - Doubles your chance to crit. Even better with advantage. Crits in 5e are not as powerful as they were in 3e because you double the dice, but not the fixed bonuses which is how things got crazy in 3e. Wew don't really know yet how magic items interact with crits, nor how common they are supposed to be, so it's hard to guage exactly how potent this is in play.
Remarkable Athlete - Mechanically weak, and even worse completely eclipsed by the Bards 2nd level Jack of all Trades ability.
Additional Fighting Style - A nice ability. The fighting styles are sound abilities and the Fighter gets the full array to chose from. The Champion is the only class to get two of them. However you can also pick up fighting styles by dipping into Paladin and Ranger, so it's not the only way to get more than one. However Multiclassing has some built in penalties in 5e so it's not that atractive a way to do it.
Superior Critical
- Second Verse, more of the first. It's a good ability. With advantage the 15th level Champion will be rolling crits about 28% of the time, with three attacks a round he'll get one almost every round. How good exactly we don't know until we see it in play.
Survivor - If you are below 1/2 HP (bloodied in 4e parlance) you regen 5+con (assume 10) points a round. This is a wonky ability from a metagame stand point. In that as nebulous as HP are it has been the assumption since late 3e that below 1/2 HP you really are cutting meat. Therefore that very strongly implies that the Champions ability is actual troll-like healing. Which is presumably supernatural in nature and opens multiple cans of worms. If the ability worked from 1/2 up it would be a easier sell as not seeming supernatural. (To be clear I don't have an issue with supernatural fighter abilites but some people surely do.)

So. Does the Champion need a boost? Is he competative with the Fury Barb or Assasin Rogue or Battle Master? More importantly, would he be fun to play? If he needs a boost, is there a way to do it without adding resource management? Perhaps adding in some stances?

Aribar

First Post
What is a "girlfriend" class?
It's a sexist term for something that is is supposedly "simple and easy" for "less skilled" players to use and still be useful. IE, "My girlfriend is dragged to D&D games so I make her play a Champion fighter just so she plays something and doesn't sit there all night".

I forget whether I read it on a different topic here or on a different forum, but I recall seeing charts showing that a Battlemaster's Superiority Dice and other abilities outdamage a Champion until like 8-10 rounds into a combat. It's a bland, underpowered and boring subclass.

Yeah, I hate the term "girlfriend class." It's very sexist.

Oh, yeah, the Champion, it is what it is: A subclass to please those who want a Fighter that does nothing but "I hit it with my sword." I would never play one, and it could be argued whether it even influenced toning down some of the Battle Master's mechanics from the Playtest/Alpha for the sake of "balance" with it, but ... it's there.

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
I can't belive I came here and saw this... it's 2014

A GIRLFRIEND CLASS.... :mad: :mad:

right because like I was told in the 90's "Girls don't get it!!!"

Well you know what... most of the guys I've known don't get the rules half as well as I do... but right now I HAVE A GIRLFRIEND who liked the play test... maybe in your eyes I should tell her "Sorry simple classes only?!?!?"

:mad:

Dausuul

Legend
I forget whether I read it on a different topic here or on a different forum, but I recall seeing charts showing that a Battlemaster's Superiority Dice and other abilities outdamage a Champion until like 8-10 rounds into a combat.

Operating on what assumptions? Sure, if you start the fight with a full hand of superiority dice and burn them all in the first four rounds, you'll outperform the Champion. Then the Champion will outperform you for the next few encounters, since you did the fighter equivalent of going nova (admittedly, a pretty small nova, really more of a dwarf nova or maybe a shell helium flash).

It's a bland, underpowered and boring subclass.

Bland and boring... well, yeah, that's the design goal, at least from the point of view of players who like more complicated classes. We're not the target audience. Champion is for players who just want to hit stuff and roll lots of crits.

Underpowered? Not convinced.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
As far as simple, I think it does the job. The fighter still gets only a few resources to manage, and nothing so much that even newer players should be fine with them.

Otherwise, it seems to do the job of "Just bring the pain, no thought required" that they were going for.

As far as strength. The healing is actually pretty good, though perhaps not correct thematically. Crit ability is solid. Superior Athlete is pretty lame, but I think this class does alright compared to the BM. Compared to the EW...I'll have to study the spells more closely.

Andor

First Post
I can't belive I came here and saw this... it's 2014

A GIRLFRIEND CLASS.... :mad: :mad:

No offense intended. I was under the impression that the idea that plumbing was somehow related RPing ability was an idea that has been sufficiently trashed that no one would actually imagine I meant it literally.

Do you know a better shorthand for "the simple class for that guy who like to play but never really read the rules and hasn't figured out AoO even though he's been playing a polearm fighter for 3 edition"?

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Do you know a better shorthand for "the simple class for that guy who like to play but never really read the rules and hasn't figured out AoO even though he's been playing a polearm fighter for 3 edition"?
You probably could have called it the "girlfriend/boyfriend" class and saved yourself the trouble.

ambroseji

Explorer

Literally, anything else would have been better.

Try "newbie class," "rules-light class," or "basic class." They all get the point across in a tone that suits the inclusiveness of our loved hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads