ZEITGEIST The chronicles of Team Big-hearted And Determined (B.A.D.)

Echolocation

Explorer
Session 29: Unda the Sea
Written by Lisandra's player

Last week on Zeitgeist, our team found themselves in the middle of Ber oceans after tracking down Xambria Meredith at another Ziggurat off the coast of Pezarillo. After signalling for parley with the hostile Crisillyi ship resulted in a warning shot from one of their many canons, Team BAD decided to do a little subtle scouting below the surface. They negotiated the use of Paco’s lanterns to afford a more convenient means of breathing underwater and returned to their vessel. John turned himself into a fish and made his way down towards the Ziggurat for some preliminary scouting. During his search, he found markers that indicated the area was under the care of a druid, and unwilling to trespass, left a message for the local Druid to come to the Mistrunner to speak and returned to report his findings to the rest of his team.

The team deliberated on steps forward, attempting to piece together an agreeable plan, though John remained staunchly unwilling to move into the druid’s territory without first speaking. They agreed to sleep on it, and see if the Druid showed up before they resumed further planning in the morning. Frustrated at the risk of letting yet another potential monster on the world while they waited, Lisandra returned to her cabin to retire early, praying such manners would not result in disaster. The opposing views were for naught, come morning, as the ocean waters became unnaturally choppy, and dead sea creatures began to float to the surface.

Quickly, the team made moves to dive below and make their way to the Ziggurat and found themselves greeted by a tense party of mercenaries and magic users, in the midst of the retrieval process. After warning them to halt what they were doing, and relaying the news of their benefactor’s gruesome demise, Finona, the tiefling scholar in charge of the group struck a deal; their safe departure, for all the information she had, and they would leave the seal intact. With the local Druid making himself, and his two shark friends known behind them, Team BAD had ample reason to accept the deal, but as one of the wizards moved from the ritual space, the broken rocks and silt of the seabed shifted, and the protective wards around the seal shifted out of alignment.

An incredible burst of energy sprang forth, washing over the group and assaulting their minds as the water unfurled into a huge element. Grotesque, fish-like men sprang forth and filled the waters around them. The team fought hard with their unlikely allies, fighting both the water and their minds to gain footing. Angharad drew the elemental's attention as the mercenaries helped the team pick off the fishmen, one by one. Ella swam to the ritual circle, hoping to find an arcane answer to banishing the creature, as Lisandra finally found her nerve, calling on the whispers of long-drowned sailors to evoke rays of spiritual energy that pierced the water, and the creature with more ease than a weapon. It was a well-placed bullet from John’s rifle that finished it, piercing through it’s centre and disrupting it’s will to stay intake. As the elemental dissipated and the water calmed, all present collected to regret the fallen and make good on their word.

Finona filled them in on her work with Caius, and how her team were responsible for cleaning up the mess Xambria’s has made. It appeared that they were not responsible for releasing the creature from Apet. She offered the constables a letter which detailed not only her work agreement with the late Caius Bergeron, but also spoke of bringing her ‘into the fold’ with his associates in Crisillyr if her good work held up. Before he team made way to leave, she offered them a ring, gifted to her by Caius, made from gold with an inscription reading ‘Original Brave Ideas’.

As Finona and her guards departed, we turned to see the blaze of an explosion in the distance. Team BAD hastily made their way to the surface to see Captain Jack Glassman’s ship in flames. The Mist Runner made haste to pick them up, Ribbles explaining that there had been an explosion, and they had not found any survivors onboard, or anyone leaving the vessel. Angharad summoned Gariad, who flew ahead and into the flaming vessel to inspect the damage. Xambria was nowhere to be found, though Glassman lay on his cot, surrounded by empty bottles and a severe lack of a brain in his head. Literally. Through sharing senses with Angharad, the flaming bird could sense the foul stench of Apet on the air that indicated a spell was likely the source.

The Risuri vessel lost, the team caught up with Captain Diego and his crew on the Ber ship, reporting their findings with Paco and warning him of the dangers of opening the seal, should he wish to inspect the site himself. Captain Diego assured there were no stowaways on his ship, nor did he see anyone jump overboard, but he did offer that the explosion was akin to an over-abundance of firedust, likely self-sabotage in his opinion.

Remembering Xambria’s pendant gave her the ability to teleport short distances, Team BAD decided to dock and spend some time searching for any signs along the coast that she may have made it to shore. Turning up dry, they decided to head back to the Mist Runner to rest. Lisandra retired to her quarters, leaving John to tend to Sydney’s wounds and socialize with his feline friend, as Angharad dedicated to forgo sleep. Taking a nip of some illicit substance, the Cipith headed out to the Ziggurat, retrieving a corpse of one of the Fishmen and taking it to shore. He found and paid a local shaman to spell the corpse to prevent it from rotting and brought it back to the ship. He found Ella asleep on deck, presumably awaiting his return and traded the corpse for her, leading her to bed. She awoke in protest, but at Angharad’s insistence she was carried to her quarters below deck, before the Cipith headed to his room for a short rest of fitful, drug-addled dreams.

After a week of travel, come sunrise, the crew of the Mistrunner made their way back to Flint. After reuniting Ugen with his hat, Ella received a message from Delft, letting them know that there was a lead at the Museum of Natural History.

A quick stop by HQ for Lisandra to dump her travelling gear was a cause of small victory, as Maxwell shared the welcomed news that paperwork for their next stipend was ready! With the promise of pay on the horizon, the team headed out once more to North Shore to meet with Delft.

The Museum had several curious onlookers about the entrance, and inside our constables met with the Assistant Inspector, looking even more tired than he usually did, and Angharad’s old pal, Professor Webber, the impressive articulation of a fossilized dragon looming behind them.

Delft informed the team more cases of Distant Madness had cropped up during their so-called ‘holiday’, and every day another victim with a missing brain. Professor Webber also alerted them to an odd message he had received from Xambria the day prior. It was filled with a plea of help and warnings about the creature that has her and it’s motives. It wants the three artifacts. The three artifacts that are currently stored safely in the RHC facilities next to HQ, which Lisandra is quite familiar with, Delft noted with a wink. The three artifacts that will, apparently, be displayed publicly at the Museum’s heavily advertised event in a few days time. Delft expressed his mutual concern and informed them his hands are tied, but he would appreciate them all working security for the event, to keep an eye on things. He also cheerily let them know that Saxby wanted to see them, for a debrief now the audit is completed.

Will Professor Webber survive his foolish museum event in the days to come? And more importantly… What does Saxby have to say about the team’s performance during the audit? In either case, take heart in the jingle of sweet coin, my friends because we are getting paid! How much? Find out today, in the Adventures of Team BAD!

DM Comments
I'm not a fan of how I ran this session. I think I'm uncomfortable with the explicit railroading devices I used.
  • The party really really did not want to go underwater. Understandable, their main DPS is a fire kineticist and a gunslinger druid. I had to really amp up the descriptions of the chaotic waters for them to even consider going down as a group.
  • I think a wizard accidently knocking a rock into the seal ritual circle was a clumsy narrative device. I knew the players would enjoy the combat encounter and more knowledge about the seals, but I don't like the way I initated it.
  • I struggled to find a motivation for Finona and her crew attacking the players on sight. They are fundamentally researchers, with hired help to guard. As Team BAD did not show up threatning violence, I did not run the combat encounter.
  • Not mentioned in the recap, as the party left the Museum of Natural History, they spied the reason why Weber was so hung up on keeping the artifacts on display---they were plastered across every bit of promotional material:
1607650011372.png

Echolocation

Explorer
This man has a serious 'cult leader who can hypnotize you with his eyes' vibe. A quick Google search found a YouTube video where someone claimed he was just a random English teacher who got paid to be the model, and there is no real DeRucci.
Absolutely. There are few billboards in Perth (where I live), but there are billboards of DeRucci. I cannot help but think of the Doctor T. J. Eckleburg billboard from The Great Gasby every time I see then.

His former image depicted DeRucci with a smoking pipe. But after complaints they removed it. I find it hard to believe the only complaint concerned the pipe.

Perhaps DeRucci is not real. Perhaps the reality of DeRucci is too much for the mortal mind to comprehend.

I might bring him back as the god of good sleep in the God Trials.

Echolocation

Explorer
Session 30

Team BAD went to HQ, collected their coin and sat nervously whilst Saxby read a list of their minor deviations from the letter of the law. They were relieved to meet the Director of Infiltration, as they had been concerned Kell's men had been following them.

Ella's Distant Madness runs loose, though her coworkers are oblivious. She checks every bit of paperwork for a sign of her Father. At one moment of desperation, she uses one of Caius' Scrolls of Sending to reach out to her Da. She scolded him, telling him his wife is dead. To the players surprise, they received a response: heartfelt sobbing. As a reminder: Ella's Da faked his death and to this day continues his work on the Bleak Gate project in Flint.

We ended after the party captured Xambria at a night at the museum, taking her back to HQ. Despite their hate for Shijen, they feel sympathetic towards Xambria. However, Angharad, the fey-fearing Cipith, did not hold back in the fight, desperate to draw the blood that would appease the Voice of Rot. I did use the museum to showcase a bunch of NPCs from the players past. Angharad smoked with Pazamu near the druid display, Lisandra talked with a noble friend about the latest goss (even noble women swoon for Rock Rackus), and Ella and Nathan Jierre had a discussion on racism in Flint outside of the Demonocracy display.

Something of mechanical interest is the fire kineticist, Angharad, took a level in inquisitor. He worships The Ash Wolf alongside Srasama, of course. Long ago, my players asked me if the fey titans could bestow divine powers upon worshippers. I answered yes, construing them as quasi-deity. I took the liberty of designing a Deity block for our favourite wolf:
Ash Wolf, the Howling Fire
Alignment
: CN
Pantheon: Fey Titans
Domains: Animal, Community, Chaos, Charm, Fire
Subdomains: Fur (animal), Family (Community), Love (Charm), Ash (Fire)
Favoured weapons: Bite or Lantern Staff
Symbol: Burned wolf fur
Sacred animals: Wolves
Sacred Colours: Grey
Unique Spell Rules:
  • Inquisitors and Paladins may prepare spark as an orison.
  • Clerics, Warpriests, Inquisitors, and Paladins may prepare pyrotechnics as a 2nd-level spell.
  • Clerics may prepare transmute metal to wood as a 7th-level spell.

Echolocation

Explorer
Session 31
Courtesy of Ella's player

Unlike most Zeitgeist sessions, this one began promisingly! We’d finally captured Xambria and safely locked her in a cell and she was willing to tell us everything! It’s nice when things are easy for once.

Xambria confirmed that the thing in her head was called Sijhen and that it was a “Gidim” - a race from another world. Sijhen had been trapped behind the Apet ziggurat’s seal for thousands of years, until it was released by the research team and took control of Xambria.

Sijhen had been eating people’s brains to gain their memories - and from Caius’ it had learned about the Obscurati. Caius and MacBannin were both Obscurati - much as we had already guessed - and Xambria told us that each member of the Obscurati wears a ring. The material of the ring signifies which cell the wearer belongs to, and the length of the final word in the inscription indicates their status: a shorter word means higher status.

Xambria was certain that the Winter meeting in Crisillyir that Caius had been intending to attend would have some Obscurati higher-ups there. She was also certain that Saxby - our boss - was one of the Obscurati.

Xambria had one more bombshell to share: Sijhen was intending to open a portal to another world and bring back an invasion force - and oh! Xambria wasn’t really in control of her body after all… Whoops.

In a blast of extraplanar energy the world turned transparent and Xambria climbed her way through the ceiling. Meanwhile, shadowy figures poured into the basement from the east and monsters flew through the building above.

Sigh What was that I said earlier about things being easy?

As the world fluctuated between see-through and corporeal we split up: Angharad dashing upstairs after Xambria while the rest of us confronted the shadowy figures. It soon became clear that these were the very same kind of shadowy figures we’d seen at the church with Steelshaper - a realisation which sent Ella into a murderous Rage. Perhaps more concerningly: at least one of these shadowy figures was one of Kell’s thugs - what the hell kind of deals has that man been making?

In any case, much like the creatures we’d fought at Nevard’s rally, these shadowy figures vanished on death: their bodies mysteriously dragged elsewhere with a crackle of energy.

Upstairs, Angharad was faced with a tough decision: should he get a badger gun? Or get Xambria? Wait, no - get Sejhin? ...Sejhambria? Xambri-jhin? ...Whatever. He eventually chose Xambrijhin and made it to the 2nd floor just in time to see Saxby hand something over to Sejambrijhin and watch the red-head vanish. Good ole Saxby.

The kineticist didn’t have too much time to swear about it though, as tentacled eyeballs floated through the walls and started sending everyone insane. Well… more insane than they already were… But hey, what do I know? Maybe Josiah always makes out with his gun while Kaea sets things on fire? And Gaethan and Serena were probably just having a friendly firing contest in their office. Nothing to see here.

Thankfully Pete, Carlao and Dima were all still sane! And leapt into battle with glee! Or at least Pete did. Or, rather he would have... if Angharad hadn’t stabbed him. Whoops?

Between the insanely paranoid stabby funtimes upstairs and the many failed poison saves downstairs it took a while for us to defeat our respective enemies. But eventually we triumphed! And regrouped just in time to stop Saxby from running away. Oh - and also Delft was stuck in some kind of 1v1 versus a giant worm maw the entire time buuuuut... no one cared.

Despite her best efforts to turn the other constables against us, we defeated Saxby - with Pete, Carlao and Dima’s help. During the fight Angharad got some fun cuddle time with the worm maw and Lisandra landed an absolutely savage riposte on Saxby with her rapier. Then Saxby attempted to run away and John shot her in the back!

...And no, she didn’t die - she was just knocked out and handcuffed. Sigh Spoilsports.

Anyway, the fun times didn’t stop there! As it turned out Delft was also insane! Fortunately, John was there to shoot his sword-cane and Angharad was there to shoot his insanity, and within a few minutes everyone was back to normal. Or… back to normally abnormal? Constables are weird.

We inspected Saxby’s wedding ring and found an inscription: “Opportunity Begets Glory”, but didn’t have long to ponder this before Delft ordered us to bloody well deal with whatever the hell was happening. He gestured at the still fluctuating walls as they warped in and out of corporeality. Yeahhhhh… we should probably do something about that.

We raided the storeroom for healing potions and then headed down to the basement. Angharad’s keen eyes had spotted something happening in the subway tunnel under the RHC, and as the world turned transparent once more, we saw Xambria down there - along with a familiar golden seal and a magical portal.

We leapt through the floor and landed on the tracks, drawing Xambrijhin’s attention. The aberration asked us to let it go freely, but refused to state where exactly it was going. It became rather annoyed when Angharad referred to it as a warbeast, saying that it was actually a wayfarer but offering no further explanation. Ella tried in vain to get it to explain the workings of the portal, while the others debated just how far they were willing to go to fulfil the Voice of Rot’s orders.

As the planar energies built all around us and the wall at the edges of the portal began to crack, John took matters into his own hands by shooting Xambria.

Sijhen attempted to bargain with us, saying that if we killed it then it would take Xambria’s mind with it to the worlds beyond. But if we let it go then it’d give us her consciousness.

Ella and Lisandra seemed inclined to listen, but John’s duty to the rest of Flint and Angharad’s duty to the fey titan compelled them to act. Combat erupted and a giant freaking tentacle-worm emerged from the portal behind the seal, grabbing Angharad and hoisting him into the air.

John swiftly killed Xambria, Ella looked like she wanted to kill John, and Sijhen threatened to kill Angharad if we didn’t listen. It was all a bit of a mess - especially once Lisandra realised that Xambria’s spirit was somehow inside the worm along with Sijhen! And it seemed they weren’t the only two: as the worm’s hide split open and the flailing limbs of its previous victims spilled out. At the same time a deafening scream from hundreds of tortured souls filled the air.

The force of it knocked most of the party to their knees, but John and Lisandra were still able to gun down the worm before it - or Sijhen - could do any more harm. As it fell, the energies from the portal behind it continued to build, crackling chaotically.

Left with little time to act, Angharad and John set about trying to figure out how to close the portal, while Ella yelled at Lisandra and Lisandra tried to focus on Xambria.

The archaeologist’s spirit was still there, but fading fast, and as she did she pleaded with Lisandra to let her enter her mind. In the absence of an agreement, Xambria turned to the rest of us, making the same plea - and Ella leapt at the chance. Lisandra immediately interjected and took Xambria’s consciousness into her own mind rather than risk the tiefling taking it. At which point Lisandra fell unconscious to the floor, overwhelmed by her new spiritual guest. The only guidance Xambria or her host could offer was a single phrase: “The lantern”.

With little idea what else to do, John and Angharad set about destroying lanterns - the portal becoming more volatile with each hit. The two men quickly shoved the golden seal back in front of it and it seemed to help, but there was still one lantern left. Bereft of other ideas, Ella kicked it, and a massive wave of psychic energy slammed outwards: smashing into the minds of everyone nearby and flinging them back.

Three constables didn’t get up after the blow: Angharad, Lisandra and Millie. The two humans were still alive - breathing but unconscious. But the blue jay... lay utterly still. Ella fell to her knees and screamed as she felt the empathic bond with her familiar shatter.

The others slowly regrouped: Xambria’s spirit awakening Lisandra and John healing Angharad. The chaotic energies from the portal subsided: the world fading from transparency back to translucency and finally settling into corporeality. The city had been saved… if at a price.

It was a somber walk back to the RHC.

Carlao’s team was just rounding up the last few monsters, and they began to gather around as they saw Millie. Pete recited the blue jay’s deeds: retelling the brief but courageous career of Millipede the Magnificent - smallest of the RHC’s constables, but with one of the largest hearts.

There was little time for grief though, as the constabulary - and the city at large - recovered from the attack. Delft was quickly inducted as Chief Inspector and cover-up stories for the attack were circulated to the public. In private, Delft quietly warned each of us not to trust anyone, and to prepare for a Winter trip to Crisillyir.

We have an Obscurati party to crash.

DM Notes

• The dramatic concluding combat was well received. I also liked the challenge of running so many moving bits at once.
  • The players enjoyed the character of Xambria. The ghostspeaker is a little nervous having a passenger, but her player is thrilled.
  • Honestly, after running The Dying Skyseer, I was skeptical that any other book could stand up to it. I think this book did, we all had a ton of fun. Some player highlights were the Voice of Rot scene, the Ziggurat of Apet, and the final encounter.
  • The players enjoyed the action movie scenes that separated more formal investigating. The players also enjoyed the deep dive into Angharad's psyche, his Vekesh initiation, and his sideplot of Tyler Starke. With this in mind, I'll be turning the splotlight onto Lisandra in the next book.
  • I find it hard to pull the trigger on characters, and it was a tough choice including Millie in the psychic blast. Ultimately, I thought Ella should suffer for her negligence. Her Distant Madness has taken route. Without the disease, should would have likely taken her time spellcrafting the lantern, and could have deduced a safe way to shut down the portal. But she was overcome by rage and fear. Although Millie is gone, it will open up new avenues for Ella. I know the player is comfortable with this too (though she is sad to see Millie go).
  • Shijen escaped. The RHC was one round off being nuked. I figured Shijen would notice the portal is nearly there and decide to fly the rest of the way. Shijen has feasted in Flint, and I figured the remaining psychic calories will be enough to fuel their journey home.
  • I used Xamrbia's speech to give players information on the Obscurati Ring Code. The players nearly had it, but could not quite figure out the meaning of the final word. It's been two books, and they are very engaged constables...I thought it was a win they deserved.

Echolocation

Explorer
Here are some screenshots taken across Book 3:

The Final Landing Page
1609287582407.png

Across the course of the adventure, I slowly added to the landing Page of our Roll20 campaign. This table includes a coffee grinder gifted by the Family, a Cupcake of Cat's Grace baked with Constable Pete Pottinger, and the martial thesis Methods of Extricating Warriors from a Variety of Tentacled and Tendriled Monsters. The image of Shijen was identified using the spell Blood Biography. The constables never saw their alien culprit, and they won't for a long time.

Combat

1609288065211.png

Angharad refusing to leave, attempting to fend off a horde of undead whilst toxic water pools around him.

1609288116754.png

The constables dart around the puzzle room, deactivating bridges to plunge mummies to their doom and secure their escape.

1609288177211.png

Just a few creatures to keep track of...
1609288271908.png

Saxby is intercepted in the stairwell

1609288305662.png

Delft rallies the constables in an attempt to gain control over the situation, his sword cane shattered from an incredibly precise rifle shot.
1609288498059.png

Constable Angharad once again biting off more than he can chew.

Echolocation

Explorer
“It’s getting dark here... Good! Good. All the better for sneaking. Keep doing your good work, Constable Lisandra. I’ll keep a sneaky eye on things here.” - The final words of Millie's spirit.

Session 32

It wouldn't be the end of a Zeitgeist book without a funereal. The group spent some time making peace with Millie's death. Lisandra, the ghost speaker, used her abilities to commune with the dead bluebird. Millie's unfinished business concerns are millipede that forever escaped her grasp.

The party hosted a funereal at the treehouse estate their resident druid/gunslinger, John (who has now decided to relocate to Flint). Lisandra gave a touching speech. Ella, still under the effects of an ever-growing Distant Madness, used the funereal as an opportunity to swear vengeance upon Millie's killer. Much like Xambria, Ella blames the Ob for the death, rather than acknowledging her own personal role in the tragedy. Angharad, the Vekesh Mystic, nods in agreement during Ella's speech.

The party also questioned Saxby. Of note, the party was taken a bit aback when she genuinely wished them luck on their investigation.

Echolocation

Explorer
Crypta Heritcarum

Throughout Book 3, when players couldn't attend the session, we ran interim episodes of the Crypta Heritcarum. Each player made a character to explore the Crypt. In part, this was to showcase the capabilities of Ashima-Shimtu's pool, as I knew in Book 4 my party would be sceptical about travelling into a crypt. Additionally, I wanted to flesh out the character of Gene, the Lunatic Godhand:
The year is 200 A.O.V. when Gene Javerto, a Clergy geneu credeto (literally “spirit of belief,” but more colloquially known as a “godhand”), assembles a team of sellswords and clergyfolk to accompany him on a pilgrimage through the vault. For the mercenaries, the Godhand has promised they may keep whatever uncursed treasures they find. For the ones of his own rank, Gene has promised to put in a word for your promotion based on your performance. For both, the path will be perilous, horrific, and possibly lethal.
Each character picked a Clergy virtue (if part of the Clergy) or a vice (if a sellsword). Virtues and vices were associated with a mechanical advantage to a particular check/bonus in the Crypt.

The party roster:
Mary Pottinger: An alchemist who bakes her reagents into delicious goods. Sugar rush bombs, entangling caramel, etc. Old in age but young in spirit. Ancestor of NPC-favourite Constable Pete Pottinger.​
Mishka: A dwarven brawler/skald. When Triegenes 'liberated' Drakr, the necromantic pacts between her family and demons were broken. Her family suffered a nasty curse and have been at the mercy of the Clergy's... charity ever since​
Jeseh A gathlain dinosaur druid...what more is there to say?​
Konrad A hellknight soldier climbing through the ranks​
Heck Elven four-armed alchemist/rogue​
The party cleared rooms, for Gene to enter and explore. It provided a good opportunity to share tidbits of lore. Heck and Mary's frying pan were felled by the rust monsters. Konrad used the rust monster egg to cow the legionaries into submission. The party wasn't messed up by item curses, but they did fall for the teleportation trap, nearly dying after accidentally entering the room of the inverted giant. The party found the first blade of Srasama, and to their surprise, it bent to the will of Mary (transforming into a frying pan).

The party made it to Ashima-Shimtu's room. The demoness merely asked for a blessing, before granting the party passage out of the crypt. I then time-skipped twenty years forward. Gene visits a bedridden Mary, now at the end of her life. Over tea, the two reminiscence over their adventure into the crypt. The sweet old Mary reveals that she does not remember much, but still remembers their time together. Gene smiles, placing down his tea cup (still completely full). He swiftly leaves as Mary chokes on poison. In all the chaos, Mary's family do not notice the godhand is now missing his halo.

The rest of the character roster turn up dead in their respective domains, each murder unified only by a single hand imprint plunged through their chest.

Throughout the epilogue, it's revealed that the Crypta Heritcarum story is being told to their characters over a morning breakfast cooked by the skald Constable Pete Pottinger. He explains that the first blade of Srasama was handed down generation from generation. Now it resides in his hands. Pete gestures to the 15-foot metal slate he is currently using to cook eggs. Pete has no use for the blade, so he would rather it be used by another constable in pursuit of justice. The party were unable to secure the blade before leaving for Beaumont, as Pete required it for a children's birthday party. I was worried it would make tailing female suspects too easy for Book 4. In retrospect, it would have been fine. When Team BAD return from their overseas adventure, they'll find the blade tucked above a kitchen shelf.

The players enjoyed the change in scenery, and the opportunity for a good ol' fashioned dungeon crawl. They enjoyed a rather introverted, quiet, meditative Gene and the plot twist. And of course, they love the idea that Pete recited all of this as a story to them whilst casually cooking breakfast with a powerful artifact.

Echolocation

Explorer
Jesus, running the headquarters online must've been a slog. Lots of clicking and dragging.

It was a bit... But it's better than not playing! My sole regret when running that combat online was not writing up a script to change the transparency of the map depending on the round. I think have an map oscillating it its transparency would be great immersion.

Echolocation

Explorer
Session 33

Who doesn't like a good montage? I interspersed the party's planning montage with scenes from their lives outside work. Some scenes represented the powers gained in their recent level up, such as John retraining with a druid Professor from Pardwight University. Ella's scenes represented her increasingly slip into Distant Madness, such as:
  • Scene of Ella scribing a Scroll of Fireball into her spellbook, her hands shaking and her shadow momentarily morphing before her eyes into the outline of Cillian.
  • Scene of Ella with Serena in a building, repairing the construct from the steel mill and trying to get memories from it but growing increasingly frustrated. One clear memory: bronze claws reaching out towards a blurred, darkened humanoid figure; gained the impression that this figure was a source of hate and resentment but that the construct was reaching out toward it in kindness, forgiveness and hope. (Ella had found a way to magically share memories with Grappa. Grappa sensing Ella's ruthlessness for revenge tries to imbue an alternative route. After it becomes clear Ella is long beyond forgiveness, Grappa refuses to share any more memories with the tiefling).
  • Ella destroys the willow planting above her father's grave with a fireball
  • Ella writes to Kell demanding information. At the meetup, Kell sends assassins. Ella murders them with fireballs from a distance.
  • Ella bombards Kell-associated factories with fireballs.
I asked Ella's player to brainstorm ideas before running this session. I didn't want to play her character.

On the final day before the voyage to Danor, Ella brings her younger brother into the RHC HQ for witness protection, paranoid her family will fail to care for him. Angharad, the Vekesh Mystic, attempts to arm the child. A heated argument breaks out among the party, still oblivious to Ella's madness. Ultimately, Delft agrees to issue protection for the child. Once the party leaves, Delft oversees numerous reports of arson, murder, and Ella's own family demanding the child is released. After consulting experts and running interviews, Delft joins the dots. By this point it's too late to warn members of Team BAD---they are in the dead magic zone of Danor.

As for the montage, the party did well. They passed the cover identity and secrecy goals, with a few contingencies planned for Vendricce. I used Roll20 to track goals in front of my players.

landing-page.PNG

preparing-01.png

preparing-02.png

itinerary.png

The voyage aboard the Roscommon was pleasant. The captain gave another set of false identities to the party. The party (bar Ella) drank chocolate liqueur, offering plenty to the fey spirits of the figurehead. With each day, the Roscommon swayed a little more... Unbeknownst to the party, a submarine placed a tracking device on their ship.

The party arrives in Beaumont. I took the luxury of a tense moment where guards look over their paperwork, before breaking the tension joyously welcoming them into the country. The party sleep at a luxurious hotel. But just who is the party?

• Lisandra: Lynette Musgrave: A bride to-be. Travelling along the Avery Coast to meet nobility from Crisillyir.
  • Angharad: Henri Musgrave: Lynette's brother.
  • Ella: Cassandra "Cassie" Flickerfield: Lynette's legal advisor, to ensure the proceedings go as expected.
  • John: Behid: Bodyguard for the group, and handler of Lynette's gift to her to-be husband.
  • Sydney the Lion: Abigail: Lynette's gift
For each day, I had Ella roll a wisdom check. Once the party settled into Beaumont, she realised her dubious actions in Flint would be uncovered, and the RHC would likely send warning to the party. Fearing circumstances sliding out of control, she decided she had to act.

Remove ads