The D&D Movie Finds Its Director

The Dungeons & Dragons movie has found its director - Rob Letterman (Goosebumps, Monsters vs. Aliens, Shark Tale). The Warner Bros. movie, scripted by David Leslie Johnson (Wrath of the Titans), is being produced by Rob Lee (The Lego Movie, How To Train Your Dragon) and others after the longstanding legal dispute involving Sweetpea Entertainment and Hasbro was resolved. The script is based on Johnson's script Chainmail, itself based on D&D's precursor and will be taking cues, stylistically, from Guardians of the Galaxy.

dungeons-and-dragons-banner.jpg

There's more information on the Guardians of the Galaxy inspiration here. We know it is set in the Forgotten Realms, is an ensemble piece, and is hopefully the first in a franchise spanning multiple worlds. "This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before."

This latest info comes from Tracking Board. The other tidbit in that article is that "sources say that producers are eyeing a Vin Diesel-type for the film’s lead characters". Additionally, WotC staff has indicated occasionally that they have some involvement in the movie.

Well, Roy (not Rob) Lee was producer on a pair of movies I liked (Lego Movie and HTTYD 2) and I liked Monsters Vs. Aliens by Rob Letterman, but that doesn't really instill any hope in me for the movie. On the other hand, I don't really have a bad feeling about the movie (like I did with Batman vs Superman, which I did NOT like) so all I can do is hope that this turns out to be the masterpiece these guys have in them. Making this an ensemble story instead of choosing a lead is a smart move; it highlights - in my opinion - that D&D is always an ensemble story when you sit down to play.

Also... Why look for a 'Vin Diesel-type' instead of just try to get Vin Diesel? It's no secret the guy loves role playing so I doubt it would take much to get him to join.

My guess is Vin Diesel probably would want a lot more money that the budget would allow.

Electryc

Explorer
We can always be hopeful at least!! This sounds far better than the last outing of Jeremy (collecting my paycheck) Irons, and that comical-relief thief we all loved to hate. (Marlon Wayans)

Tiles

Explorer
The last GI Joe movie did star the Rock, just saying...a star like Vin is far from out of reach. We can hope! Minsk!

Ryujin

Legend
"This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before."

I can't be the only person seeing the irony in this statement.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Hmm. A strong producer, so-so director, and (from one credit) terrible writer.

And then there is the elevator talk mash-up: its like guardians, but set in the lord of the rings.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases