D&D 5E The Decrease in Desire for Magic in D&D

Undrave

Legend
Maybe run away when the mummies show up? These things are supposed to be scary!
Pfff... nobody ever RUNS AWAY in D&D! That's the coward's way out :p

Seriously though, he game does NOT train nw players to consider escaping, or even realize when you're outgunned before a fight breaks out, and, a lot of times, even a dash isn't enough to outpace someone willing to strike you down because of how speeds end up. There's a communication issue there.

Pfff... nobody ever RUNS AWAY in D&D! That's the coward's way out

Seriously though, he game does NOT train nw players to consider escaping, or even realize when you're outgunned before a fight breaks out, and, a lot of times, even a dash isn't enough to outpace someone willing to strike you down because of how speeds end up. There's a communication issue there.
That sounds like a job for the Empowered DM!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
(bold added)

The cleric is facing down all four when taking the Dodge action. And since all the action is supposed to be simultaneous (as you say), if they ALL run that is fine, but you should do the whole "A moves and takes the OA, so BCD all know it is safe".
If they all run at once, shouldn't the OA either be against a random one or against whichever one the PC's player chooses, depending how the DM wants to run it?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
If they all run at once, shouldn't the OA either be against a random one or against whichever one the PC's player chooses, depending how the DM wants to run it?
If they all moved at once, I would allow the player to choose which to go after, personally.

However, if all four are bugbears, which would likely be pretty much identical anyway, random works, too. ;)

(bold added)

The cleric is facing down all four when taking the Dodge action. And since all the action is supposed to be simultaneous (as you say), if they ALL run that is fine, but you should do the whole "A moves and takes the OA, so BCD all know it is safe".
He isn’t focussed on all 4. He just took a swipe at Bugbear A with his AoO. Since combat is simultaneous, he attacked 1 while the other 3 pushed them past him.

To me, the fact the cleric took the Dodge Action is irrelevant. Would you also consider it cheesy if the Cleric attack A, B tried toslip past and got hit with an AoO, then A, C and D moved past him? If not, what is the difference with your scenario?

What about the common scenario I see in play? One PC deliberately triggers an AoO so weaker PCs can withdraw without being downed?

Edit. I see you use a different initiative system. However, my point is that under the default system, an AoO represents something observable in the fiction, and can be leveraged by the PCs.

Remove ads