• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Doomed Bastards: Reckoning (story complete)

Brogarn

First Post
Sadly I just had an image of Aelos pulling off a mask and him being our missing Elven Rogue. His next line, of course, being "And I would of gotten away with it too if it hadn't of been for you meddling kids!"

"Jinkies!" says Allera

Sigh. Too much time, too much TV and too big of an imagination.

Lazybones

Adventurer
Chapter 52

BETRAYAL

Varo’s announcement was met with a moment of stunned silence, followed by an outburst of exclamations.

“What? Are you mad?” said Talen.

“No, you’re wrong!” Allera said at the same moment. “I’ve known him for years... he presided over my initiation ceremony!”

“You had better have some strong evidence for your claim, servant of the Dark Creeper,” Aelos said, his normally calm expression now tight with anger. “I have tolerated your presence for the good of the group, despite my contempt for your foul religion and its evil god. I was expecting something like this from you... you seek to drive a wedge between us, to weaken us before we confront the masters of this place!”

Dar said nothing, only watched the scene with his arms crossed before his chest, his club leaning against his body.

Allera started forward toward Varo, but Talen blocked her with a hand. “Explain yourself, priest,” Talen said, his voice tight.

Ignoring Aelos’s taunting words, Varo continued speaking in a calm voice. “I was suspicious at first, but I considered that perhaps I was responding to the overall ambiance of Rappan Athuk a bit too strongly. But there were a few parts of your story that just didn’t fit.”

With all eyes on him, the cleric walked slowly along the wall. “The first was how you tracked Marshal Tiros to us. After we made our way back toward the Well, I realized that the distance between the two parts of the dungeon were too great for a locate object spell to function.”

“I cast that spell from a scroll, penned by one of the most powerful members of the Church, the Patriarch Gaius Annochus,” Aelos said. “I suppose he is a cultist of Orcus as well?”

Varo acknowledged the comment with a wave. “Perhaps. But it is only one item, among several. If I could make my entire case?” he said, with a nod to Talen. “It will only take a few moments, and then you can debunk my crazy theories with more efficiency.”

Talen nodded. “Let him speak, Aelos.”

The second thing of note—which I fully admit I did not see myself—was Argus’s description of how you “turned” the black skeletons near the Well. Admittedly the late soldier was not an initiate of the divine mysteries, but the effect resembled more what I do, which is to force the creatures to abase themselves before a greater power.”

“A power of evil,” Aelos said.

Varo ignored the interruption. “Those first few examples were not enough to convict you, naturally, but they did raise my suspicions. I watched you very closely after that, and noted each time you cast a spell. You know, I don’t believe I have ever seen you spontaneously cast a healing spell.”

“Now, wait,” Talen said. “He healed me, and the others, several times.”

“It is not the same thing,” Allera said softly, clearly troubled.

“No, it is not,” Varo continued. “In fact, against the trolls, he clearly used an inflict wounds spell. I did not say anything at the time, as in fact it is not specifically forbidden by the dogma of the Father’s church to use such magic in times of great need. But the priest who seeks to do so must pray for such magic in advance, petitioning the Father to grant such foul magic to His servant. One such as myself, the soldier of an “evil” faith, can of course call upon such power whenever needed, as long as energy remains within my reservoir of divine spells.”

Allera’s expression became a touch more stricken, as she remembered the battle against the ogres, and Aelos dropping one of the creatures with a mere touch.

“And there was the divination,” Varo said. “A nice touch to take yourself a bit away from the others, even using me as an excuse. But you were well within the range of a detect magic spell, which indicated that you cast no such spell at all. I imagine that you might have gone to your true patron, but what was the need? You knew where you wanted to take us, from the start.”

Talen looked at Aelos, whose face had changed subtly, the muscles around his jaw tightening. “That is your proof, cleric of lies? Everything you have said is no evidence at all, just innuendo and circumstance placed in a web to denounce me.”

“I agree, taken as a whole, it was not enough evidence to convict,” Varo said. “That was why I deliberately held back in the battle against the wights. I had to be certain... and when you “turned” them, this time in my presence, I knew for sure.”

“At least you respected me enough not to bother with flashy, false effects; you knew I would see through whatever spell you normally used to simulate the holy power of the Father. But one thing I can tell, ‘priest’, is the difference between negative energy and positive energy.”

He turned to Talen. “Ask her,” he said, indicating Allera. “She knows, as well.”

Talen’s face was cold as he looked at the healer. “Allera?”

She nodded.

“I have to admit,” Varo said, “I have to respect someone who could clearly deceive...”

Aelos broke for the door. Dar, warned by Varo earlier, was instantly there to block him, his club ready to strike. The cleric swerved and touched the fighter, pouring an inflict critical wounds spell into him. Dar screamed as pure agony ripped through him, but he kept on the priest, swinging an off-balance swipe of his club that smashed the cleric in the arm. The hit was a glancing one at best, but backed by the fighter’s augmented strength and the magic of the weapon, it still broke his arm.

Talen was charging after them, but Aelos was already running for the door again. He opened his mouth to shout, but nothing came out as Varo placed an aura of silence upon Dar.

Aelos reached the door and started to pull it open, but before he could get it open enough to get through, Dar collided hard into him from behind. Their impact slammed the door shut, and Dar smashed the priest’s face into the bronze fixture, breaking his nose and jarring loose a half-dozen teeth.

Aelos tried to break free, but managed only a feeble blow that Dar ignored as he pounded his fist into the priest’s face, wreaking more havoc with his appearance.

When Talen got to him, his role was more pulling the fighter off the cleric than helping to subdue him.

Aelos was out cold, but Varo insisted using gestures that they gag him before he released the silence spell.

Dar pulled open the exterior door and glanced outside briefly. “Another hallway,” he said. “Nothing coming that I could see.”

“I can’t believe it,” Talen said. Tears ran down Allera’s face, but she held herself steady, not looking away from the broken and bloody figure of the man she had respected, and even loved.

“Regardless of whether or not they heard us, some folks are going to be coming here sooner or later,” Dar said.

“We don’t know if Aelos had warned them that we were coming or not,” Varo said. “We need to fall back to someplace secure, consider our options, recover our strength.”

“What about him?” Allera asked, indicating Aelos.

“Bring him along,” Varo said. “He may be able to help us further. Do not let him regain consciousness; he may be able to take his own life.”

“I can’t believe he fooled us all, for so long,” Talen said.

Varo looked at him. “It’s not hard to fool someone who wants to believe,” he said.

Dar looked at the black streaks and bloodstains on the floor, and the damaged chests. “They’ll know we were here,” he said.

“There’s nothing to be done for that now,” Talen said. “Varo’s right; we can’t stumble blindly ahead into what might be an ambush. We need to fall back and regroup.”

“What about what’s in those chests?”

“It’s not worth getting killed over. Leave it.”

“We have oil. I say we pile it all up, make a little bonfire. Leave a message for those demon-worshipping bastards.”

Talen appeared to consider the suggestion, but then shook his head. “I share your sentiment, but it’s too risky. There might be other traps like that poison gas, or the fire might end up filling the entire complex with smoke. No sense in making more trouble for ourselves than we have to.”

Dar shook his head, but didn’t reply.

“Don’t worry,” Talen answered. “We’ll get them.”

Dar nodded, and took up the bound and gagged body of the priest. With Varo leading, this time, the four remaining members of the Doomed Bastards retraced their steps, retreating back into the caverns and passages of Rappan Athuk.

Last edited:

monboesen

Explorer
Just found this yesterday and is now up to date.

You asked earlier about readers who have read all three stories, I'm one.

How do they compare: I actually find this one to be the best so far. Due to the fact that you have taken what I would normally consider to be a rather boring dungeon hack and turned it into a full-fledged story.

That said I still habor my prior reservations about character builds (which are often very weak and far from what actual players will make IME), the actual fights (the writing is solid, but so many of those fights seems like fights that would have wiped out the characters had it been played out for real) and your reluctance about including effective arcane casters on the heroes side (I actually don't think a group of D&D characters stands any real chance against standard encounters at medium to high levels without both a strong divine and arcane caster).

As the two first reservations can easily be countered by the fact that this is a story, not a game transcript, I'm more interested in the third one.

This is the third story without strong arcane casters (I don't consider the bard/illusionist multiclassed gnome strong), that is stretching coincidense. Do you dislike D&D arcane magic, it's mechanics, the feel (I actually dislike both), or is it some other problem that leads you to exclude them?

jfaller

First Post
Fantastic stuff!!! I have always liked Varo... he's the smart, calm one. He's like a viper though...you always have to be on the lookout for him to strike.

Just wish I understood a bit more about this Dagos fellow... in league w/ Orcus maybe? Maybe this is a power move for Varo. A way in which to climb the ladder. Would make some small amount of sense...considering his previous actions.

Just thinking out loud.

This is great great stuff though LB.

Lazybones

Adventurer
monboesen said:
This is the third story without strong arcane casters (I don't consider the bard/illusionist multiclassed gnome strong), that is stretching coincidense. Do you dislike D&D arcane magic, it's mechanics, the feel (I actually dislike both), or is it some other problem that leads you to exclude them?
I don't think I'm against arcanists per se, but I do often subordinate characters to the needs of the story, as you noted. I've acknowledged in the Travels thread that Cal did turn out very suboptimal in terms of his build, and if I had it to do over again, I probably would have made him a single-classed illusionist. In this case I decided early on not to include a wizard in the first cohort, mostly due to the problems of not having access to a spellbook. I considered a sorcerer, but went with a warlock since I had not tried that class before. I hadn't planned on killing off Navev when I started writing (Ukas was the only one on the "kill list" at start), but it fit well into the story, so I went ahead.

I can promise that arcane casters will make appearances later in the story, including one that kicks some serious ass.

We'll find out what happens with Aelos tomorrow, but for now it's time to check on what the bad guys have been up to:

Chapter 53

ZEHN

The high priest of Orcus knelt upon the narrow platform at the apex of the four slender staircases. His position high above the floor of the chamber gave him a panoramic view of the temple, this place of pure corruption. The degree of taint present in this place would have driven most men mad, but Zehn fed upon it, drank deep of the dark powers that were concentrated in this place. Fumes from the lava pit below the platform made his head swim, but in some twisted way he reveled in that too, ignoring the nausea that spasmed in his gut, and letting his consciousness better embrace the chaos of his patron.

He drifted in that state for some time, until those senses that clung yet to his mortal body alerted him to a disturbance. Annoyed, he drew himself back and turned to see one of the underpriests standing upon the steps, his head respectfully bowed low.

“What?” he croaked, his throat cracked and parched. In his trance, he often lost track of the needs of his body; of what importance were such pathetic worries in the face of communion with the True God?

“Great one, there has been an intrusion into the temple quarters. Several of the traps on the chests were triggered; whoever it was has withdrawn.”

Zehn collected himself while he considered the news. He’d been warned to expect a “delivery”, an influx of new energy for the Sphere of Souls that would have greatly enhanced his standing within the ruthless hierarchy of those who served the True God. He had been distracted by other concerns, but realized that he had let his outward interests draw his attention from the more mundane concerns of his temple.

“The warders on the third level?”

“We sent a party, they have seen nothing,” the underling replied at once.

Zehn thought for a moment. The fact that intruders had gotten past his guards wasn’t too troubling; Rappan Athuk was honeycombed with passages and tunnels, some known to the priests of Orcus, some not. Or the intrusion might have come from within; it could certainly be possible that one of the priests from the other temples was probing for weaknesses, in anticipation of a preemptive strike.

At the thought, the high priest let out a strangled chuckle. Let them come; the power of the True God was strong within him.

The underpriest ignored his superior’s self-indulgence, keeping his head carefully bowed. Zehn fixed his attention upon the man, whose power was growing, if not yet a true threat.

“Perhaps someone was looking for your book,” he said. The underpriest betrayed his surprise with a tiny shift, and Zehn continued, “Did you think you could hide it from me? A book of vile darkness, kept from my attention within my own sanctum?”

“No, great one,” the priest said.

“Bring the book to me,” he commanded. “You will lead the ritual cleansing at darknight this eve. And will thank the True God that you do not pay for your presumption with an eternity of service in unlife.”

The underpriest did not bother to hide his terror from his master. “As you command, great one,” he said, bowing until his forehead almost touched the edge of the landing.

“Set additional guards outside of the sleeping chamber, and order the guards on level three to resume patrols of the upper levels. Any incursions are to be reported to me directly. And direct the senior priests that they are prepare glyphs upon their next rest, after the darknight ritual. You may go.”

As the underling retreated back down the treacherous stairs, Zehn pondered. Action needed to be taken. His temple was already considerable under strength. The party of orcs he’d sent out to the Oracle had never returned with the answer to his latest question. They could have been slain—the path to the Oracle was not without hazard—or they might have gone over to another faction. That was one reason he had tasked the orcs with such errands; they were expendable.

Of more import was the delay of Severus in returning. He’d sent out the priest along with a hand-picked cadre of the more competent of the acolytes almost ten hours ago. Their task had been in part to track down the fate of the missing orcs, but Severus’s primary mission had been to initiate an embassy to Scramge. Zehn considered possibilities, none of which were favorable to his plans. Scramge had always held itself aloof from the schemes of the cult of the True God, but Zehn had to consider that perhaps the creature had finally put itself in play. Had it been responsible for the missing party? Had it now taken Severus and his team into its custody? Had another faction gotten to it first?

Of course, it was also possible that Severus himself had been confronted with an opportunity to betray his master, and had turned. That was how Zehn himself had risen to his current position of leadership, almost a decade past.

It was a complicated thing, serving within an organization dedicated to chaos and evil.

But Zehn was blessed of the True God, and he had resources beyond mere men and orcs.

The dark cleric cast out with his mind. A few seconds passed, and then a huge creature materialized before him, a vrock demon. The vulture-like creature hovered in the air on powerful beats of its wings, fixing the cleric with a potent stare that radiated a deep malevolence upon all living things. In the light from the lava below, the creature’s appearance was particularly hideous and alien.

Zehn was not afraid; he was favored, and the creature knew it.

“What is your desire?” it asked him.

“Travel to the second temple. Give my respects to Gudmund, and petition him for a flask of diamond powder, and for additional guards for my temple. Tell him that I have a valuable gift to offer... you know what it is.”

“The book?” the vrock said.

Zehn nodded; it was impossible to keep most secrets from the demons. He had served the True God for four decades, almost his entire life, but the monstrosities from the Abyss had been seeped in deceit and chaos for millennia. In most cases, he didn’t even try to obfuscate; let the True God’s servants believe that the humans could conceal nothing from them. The entity before him was powerful, but it could not channel the power of the True God as he could.

Soon enough, even the greatest of their wretched race would bow before him.

The vrock, perhaps sensing the thought, cackled and vanished. As it teleported away, Zehn turned his gaze to the side. The ceiling of the temple cavern seemed to press in close upon him, although it was in reality a good fifteen feet higher than the platform. The rough surface was a black forest of dark stone protrusions and deep shadows, where the light from below never fully ventured.

“Come,” Zehn whispered.

A shadow detached itself from the web of darkness and drifted forward. As it came nearer, it was revealed as a being of shadow, an incorporeal undead being that radiated a cold and malign power.

“Seek out these intruders, Nadroj,” he commanded. “If they are weak, destroy them... else bring word back to me of their numbers and location.”

The spectre did not respond, but after a moment, it drifted away, vanishing through the cavern ceiling.

Zehn stood, wavering for a moment as his body’s weakness threatened to betray him. He summoned the power of the True God, and as the unholy energies of his patron filled him, he felt a surge of glorious ecstacy drive out the pathetic weakness of his body. He let it sweep through him, then turned to the nearest of the staircases.

Below, the acolytes were preparing the ground before the huge statue of the True God for the darknight ritual, under the watchful eyes of one of the underpriests. He didn’t descend all of the way, stopping just a handful of steps down. The stairs were steep and treacherous, lacking a railing or any other safety mechanisms, and more than one careless priest had fallen to his death when traversing them in haste. But Zehn had already transcended any mere mortal fears, and he leaned out dangerously over the lip of the stairs to regard the prisoner.

The captive hovered below the platform, bound with ropes around his wrists and ankles that were fastened to the adjacent stairs. His body sagged, his shoulders dislocated by the strain of his own weight against the joints. He was naked save for a few tattered rags, and his exposed flesh was a bright red, seared over long exposure to the rising heat of the lava pool below. He had been pushed beyond the bounds of most mortal creatures to endure suffering, but he did not die. And that was what fascinated Zehn; it was not his doing, or even His doing, that kept life within this fragile mortal shell.

When the prisoner had first fallen into his hands, he had been prepared to sacrifice him to the True God, to add its life to the Sphere of Souls. He’d sensed a potency within him, masked by the obvious madness that clouded the mind of the creature. Almost as soon as they’d brought him within the confines of the temple, he had begun to babble incoherently. Zehn had been ready to forego the ritual and just order him tossed into the lava alive when the prisoner had said something that had chilled him to the very core of his being.

Now, the prisoner said nothing, lost in a half-space between life and death where even Zehn could not find him. He did not dare to kill the wretch, not now, but he likewise knew that keeping him alive was dangerous.

“Speak,” he whispered. But the captive did not stir.

“The True God has named you His,” Zehn said. “So I leave you to His keeping.”

Turning away, the high priest descended the stairs.

The spectre passed slowly through the strata of rock that supported the corrupt weight of Rappan Athuk, its incorporeal body passing freely through mere mundane obstacles like stone and earth. There were places it could not go, even here, but even within the ground it knew where it was, and where it was going.

It passed out into a dark cavern. It passed by its lair, confirming that the seals were intact. It saw the bodies left by those that had come this way, the gruesome remains of vermin hacked and mangled. Such beings had nothing to interest one such as it, but it lingered by the shield trapped in the webs, to Nadroj’s senses still faintly warm with the life energy of the one who had held it. It was sweet, that faint afterimage. Nadroj felt an urge to track down the source of that faint trace, but instead it seeped into the cavern wall.

It drifted by the underground river. The trolls were not in appearance, but Nadroj could sense their presence. One of them was forever gone, a black slick upon the stone of the bank the only reminder that it had existed.

It traveled upward, passing through layers of stone that had been formed at a time when the world was new. It quickly explored several chambers, occasionally finding traces of those that had come this way.

Finally, it drifted slowly out of a wall to find a cavern occupied by cold light, and warm bodies.

Nadroj was almost overcome with a surging hunger. The four mortals in the room... they seemed to shine with a bright glow of light, a beacon that drew at the undead creature like a candle’s flame drew a moth. The spectre could sense their power as well, but Nadroj too was powerful, and these travelers were battered, beaten, unprepared. It would not take long for it to sweep in, shatter their defenses, and feed...

The spectre hovered there for a moment, caught by conflicting drives. But ultimately it retreated back into the stone. It drifted away, but not in the direction of the temple, which was scarcely a hundred yards distant, as it traveled.

Instead, Nadroj sank deeper into the earth, into the very bowels of Rappan Athuk.

Richard Rawen

First Post
Fantastic! So the mystery of the crazy Elf is solved, poor bastage. The way that Shadow behaved I wonder if even the undead have class levels in RA ?

This arc brings up one of the toughest aspects of campaigns I've run: Chaotic Evil bad guys. If you are going to have any semblance of hierarchy then you have to have some semblence of structure... and these guys just don't lend themselves to order very well. I know it isn't Chaotic Stupid... yet, as LB is showing with this last post, nobody can Really Count On anyone else unless they are desperately afraid of them... and even then there's no guarantees.
I much prefer running LE villians, perhaps it's more my perception/limitation than anything else. I really like your BBEG so far LB, seems just the right mixture of Power Mad, Cunning and Manipulative to survive the flaws of his power base long enough to be a problem for the DB's.
Now how is Varo going to handle Aelos?

jfaller

First Post
"The way that Shadow behaved..."

That was no shadow...it was a spectre. PURE nastiness.

Trying to figure out where this story is going is like successfully untying the Gordian Knot with one hand. (oh...and w/out a sword ;-)

Reminds me of an old quote:
"A lie, wrapped in a riddle, dipped in a dream." -- Author Unknown

Last edited:

Remove ads