• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Dragonlance Saga--your experiences

Cam Banks

Adventurer
diaglo said:
the Eberron railroad adventures have it.

if NPC X dies, replace him with a similar statted clone.

What's really ironic is that there actually is a railroad in Eberron.

These are all cinematic techniques, used in many games. It was remarkable at the time that the Dragonlance modules employed them, since that hadn't really been done before. Since that point, such things as a mysterious death rule, spontaneous mooks showing up when the action slows down, bait-and-switch encounters, and so forth are the meat and drink of a good chunk of cinematic (or "pulp" or "epic") gaming.

Cheers,
Cam

XO

First Post
Hindsight

Morrus said:
So what was Raistlin essential for? The above post said the game broke down because he was essential to the plot (he isn't) and the player wasn't roleplaying him correctly. I can't see needing a rogue to pick locks being a "weakness" in an adventure; in fact, I can't think of an adventure I've ever played which didn't have locks and traps in it. That's D&D.

Yes, well... Hindsight is a wonderful thang, and everbody has 20/20 vision when using it!

We broke this out in, let me see, JUNE '83... (since experience had shown that you better have more than one module in the hand to get things started, 'cause they may lay in the bush for a long time).

The dog-gone module said this was to be for "them here Pre-Gens" see?

So y'all gotta figure that we kinda thought that them fancy auteurs in that thar winter blasted Lake Geneva which ain't in no Switzerland were supposed to know what they were all doing, see?

So went along with their recipe. y'hear?

<Going back to his usual composed self: "Pffffffftttt! Them young ones!">

Cam Banks said:
You've seriously not seen the "mysterious death" rule in any other game product since? That's bizarre.

Cheers,
Cam

Honestly, not in the 3rd edition adventrues I own. Feel free to point out any specifics, so I can avoid those as well.

I realize this is part of your work, but they asked for my experiences with them: railroad fests that I did not have fun playing. Chalk it up to my DM if it makes you feel better, but I didnt like them 15? years ago, and I doubt I'd like them better now. Its a style of gaming/adventure writing I really dont care for. I'd even rather some new dragon highlord replace an old one than have a foe escape through blatently contrived means with a "Next time, Gadget... Next time!". It makes my actions as a player feel useless. Hit points should be a number instead of "when the players are all almost dead" and saving throws should be "always".

Last edited:

drscott46

First Post
Cam Banks said:
What's really ironic is that there actually is a railroad in Eberron.

These are all cinematic techniques, used in many games. It was remarkable at the time that the Dragonlance modules employed them, since that hadn't really been done before. Since that point, such things as a mysterious death rule, spontaneous mooks showing up when the action slows down, bait-and-switch encounters, and so forth are the meat and drink of a good chunk of cinematic (or "pulp" or "epic") gaming.

Cheers,
Cam

The Baldur's Gate computer games would replace a dead plot-necessary character with "Biff the Understudy". While I don't think I've actually run across a situation like that when playing the games, I thought it was cute (and useful) that the games had that safety mechanism built in. Other computer games can be rendered impossible if you kill the wrong person, after all.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
We played the 1st ed. modules about 10 years ago and generally had a blast.

There was one player who wanted to recreate the books, but he would get constantly over-ruled on creative grounds.

Pregens were useful as moving pieces - I employed them all as potential companions but only a few were recruited and some died.

The railroading wasn't an issue with our group because the hooks were generally quite tempting, although there were a few that didn't appeal. This tended to create a fast forward effect as chunks of the modules were skipped over.

There are actually lengthy interval periods throughout the modules and undefined lands. This gave me plenty of scope for adding spot encounters within a theme.

The battle of the High Clerist Tower and aerial battle over Sanction were high points. The HCT turned into a political intrigue with Dragon Army assaults in between. The battle above Sanction had a feel of a deadly western as dragon(rider)s would kill each other with almost one hit.

I'd really like to look at the 3rd ed. modules. I think they could be really good. :)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well I'm looking forward to it, Races and the rest in 2007 whenever it comes around.

Knightly Orders is still the best of the most recent DL releases, in my book. I can't wait to see what else comes around.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
DaveyJones said:
the only preconceived notions i got was from trying to DM it.

players: we go east.
me: you are attacked by random number of draconians
players: whoa. that was a tough fight. we are free now. we continue east.
me: you are attacked by random number
players: whoa. two pcs down but we should be free now. we continue
me: you are attacked by random number
players: screw this. lets play something else.

Is that a railroad? It doesn't seem at all unfair to have places where the PCs just can't go and survive.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads