D&D 5E The Duskblade?

Weiley31

Legend
I'd prefer a bespoke list to resusing the EK one. Perhaps not entirely different, but tailored. If you were doing subclasses you could just add subclass spells like so many others do and leave the base list as-is. Or just let them pick from an entirely different list. The Sorcerer list might be appropriate.

Or just add abilities. Cantrips as BAs or even reactions would cool. Or split the difference. Two magical secrets choices and two other abilities. Four MS secrets seems like a lot for a half caster (to me anyway).

Hmm, Sorcerer list IS spontaneous. And They are casters that don't use a spell book. Instead of magic blood, casting from memory.

Weiley31

Legend
It just occured to me that perhaps Eldritch Strike/Dusk Strike could use it's own Class Die where it starts out at D4 or D6 and then "slowly" progresses ala the Monk's Martial Arts Dice. In this case call it Eldritch Strike Die.

Force/Necrotic damage that scales with your INT modifier for attack/damage rolls.(so that way it's not useless and still be seen as a viable option to use.)

The EK Duskblade variant would favor more use of channeling their spells via that due to lower spell cast list. The Valor/Sword Bard variant probably wouldn't scale as high due to them being the more magical variant, but it's there if outta spell options.

And one of my fave aspects of how 5E does certain classes is by giving them a unique die resource mechanic. This would give it that aspect as well.

Last edited:

ccooke

Adventurer
Hmm.
You know... rather than using the EK as a base, I might actually like a version based on the Arcane Trickster - at least, a rogue subclass using that spell progression, a slightly different spell list and a few tweaks. Maybe something fun with "X times per day, when you hit a target and could apply sneak attack damage, you may instead cast a spell that uses an attack roll upon the target, using the original roll for the spell"

Weiley31

Legend
Sounds nice. I know on my end I'm using the EK and Bard for it. But hey it's like how I view the UA Soulknife and the Mike Mearls Way of the Soulknife as two different types of the same coin: the rogue variant an untrained disciple and the Monk variant as a more trained type.

Sneak attacking in this case can be reflavored.

Weiley31

Legend
So as a fun little update: it has come to my attention that the new version of The Blood Hunter, from Matthew Mercer, has an ability called Diabolik Channel. It is pretty much legit the Duskblade Spell Touch channeling ability. Since anybody wanted to replicate that on the Eldritch Knight, just swap out the lvl 7 ability for a reflavored Diabolik Channel. Nice!

Last edited:

Remove ads