D&D 5E The Fall Of The Dwarves: What Races Do People Actually Play?

What races are people actually playing, and how much of it is Tolkien fantasy as against other stuff? Fortunately D&D Beyond provides a better source of data than we've ever had. The most recent data from less than a week ago in December 2020 alas does not provide percentages. Human Half-Elf Dragonborn Tiefling Half-Orc In February 2019, using stats found via this very site: Human...

What races are people actually playing, and how much of it is Tolkien fantasy as against other stuff?

AF4847B0-224A-4E69-B2BA-7ABE6393B9A6.jpeg

Fortunately D&D Beyond provides a better source of data than we've ever had. The most recent data from less than a week ago in December 2020 alas does not provide percentages.
  1. Human
  2. Half-Elf
  3. Dragonborn
  4. Tiefling
  5. Half-Orc
In February 2019, using stats found via this very site:
  1. Human
  2. Variant Human
  3. Half Elf
  4. Tiefling
  5. Dragonborn
  6. Wood Elf
  7. High Elf
  8. Half-Orc
  9. Goliath
  10. Mountain Dwarf
  11. Lightfoot Halfling
  12. Hill Dwarf
Which is a bit of a change from what people were creating in launch month for D&D Beyond (mid 2017)
  1. Human
  2. Elf
  3. Half-Elf
  4. Dwarf
  5. Tiefling
  6. Dragonborn
  7. Genasi
  8. Halfling
  9. Half-Orc
  10. Gnome
  11. Goliath
The percentages are presented in different ways in 2019 and the launch month, with launch month merging the various subraces. So to compare like with like:
  • Wood elves and high elves taken together in the 2019 data are more popular than half-elves (or variant humans)
  • Meanwhile if we split the wood elves and high elves from 2017 they are probably both behind tieflings and dragonborn
  • Dwarves taken together in 2019 are only just behind dragonborn. They've still fallen from ahead of tieflings and dragonborn to behind them
  • Halflings combined in 2019 are neck and neck with half-orcs and ahead of goliaths
  • Genasi combined in 2019 are a little behind goliaths and slightly ahead of combined gnomes
Interesting that dwarves have fallen so heavily out of favour - and half orcs have climbed so strongly into favour; I guess there's been a lot of talk here. The thematics of tieflings and dragonborn (entirely unsurprisingly IMO) have made them core races and even the dwarfs are disappearing in favour of half-orcs (which IMO is a surprise).

Probably a lot less new players these days grew up with Warhammer Fantasy as their major touchstone for Dwarves.

There's a lot less in D&D to make Dwarves cool or interesting - especially with 5E - they're kind of just there.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Mountain Dwarf isn't that good their racial package is mostly for stuff you will likely get anyway. And they're slow.

Hill Dwarves better but yeah.

Pretty races more popular, throw in critical roll and the visuals...

Elves and Tieflings popular with female players as well from what I have seen to the point it's almost a stereotype.

"Let me guess you're playing an Elf"? "Drow actually how did you know?".

In 90s half the group at one point was female they all played elves and half elves.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Interesting. Given how weak (mechanically speaking) dragonborn are, I find interesting that they are among the top 5 most played races in the official site...
While most of those who talk about D&D a lot are consumed with mechanics, the majority that play the game in its current edition are consumed with story.
Dwarves have been getting taller with each successive edition, oddly enough.

AD&D: 44-53 inches (3'8" to 4'6" tall)
D&D 3.5/Pathfinder: 49-55 inches (4'1" to 4'7" tall)
5E: 4 to 5 feet tall
That's due to nutrition improvements.

Dwarves need a cosmetic upgrade. They're not as attractive as elves or tieflings. They're not as mighty or exotic as half orcs, dragonborn, or goliaths. Halflings seem to be in the same boat.
4E had some nice female dwarves. No comment on male dwarves.

Attachments

• 1505066550662.jpg
    1505066550662.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 689
  • 4e_Dwarf_Warlock_Concept.png
    4e_Dwarf_Warlock_Concept.png
    161.7 KB · Views: 431

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I have been seeing this decline from the groups I run, and play with. Less and less dwarves. I had hoped after the Hobbit series, some players would jump on the chance, but no.

I would have though. And all dwarf party? Sign me up! Alass... might be some time yet before a dwarf graces my table once again.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
This also leads to the question about what should be counted as a race for stats purposes.
IMO, the only fair way to do it, since some races simply don't have subraces, is to release two lists, one only with agglomerated, one only with subraces (with Dragonborn having "baseline," Ravenite, and Draconblood, or whatever the Critical Role ones are called). Then people can make their own hybrid lists if they like.

Interesting. Given how weak (mechanically speaking) dragonborn are, I find interesting that they are among the top 5 most played races in the official site...
Makes you wonder if they wouldn't have topped even Elves if they were actually GOOD.

Once the +2/+2 becomes floating, that plus the free medium armor proficiency will make them much more popular for lightly armored casters, I think that will be enough to push them over half-orcs. Dragonborn and tieflings will stay popular purely on the strength on their aesthetics.
It's certainly possible, but it's hard to tell. Elves and half-elves are a perennial favorite for both mechanics and thematics. They're arguably the nearest to looking the same as humans, and they're generally held to be fairly attractive. And the combined Elf probably edges out the (arguably) stronger half-elf due to theme and look, as others have noted with the greater internal variation between wood and high elves.

Also I'm reminded of how many attempts there were to get a playable dragonborn into 3.X.
Yep. People act like this was a sudden development but it really was in the works since at least 3e's launch, and arguably grew out of the 2e draconian. Guess I owe a libation to Dragonlance.

Not surprised at all. People have been wanted to a dragonman for a long while. If Shifters had actual alternate form, they'd crack top 10 easy.
It still surprises me how reluctant D&D authors are to make playable werewolves and the like. The demand is there. Video games do it all the time.

Would be curious if a survey could be attached ranking why a particular race was chosen.
Could be very interesting if actually well-designed and properly conducted. Unfortunately, I don't trust WotC to know its butt from its elbow when it comes to survey design.

Dwarves have been getting taller with each successive edition, oddly enough.

AD&D: 44-53 inches (3'8" to 4'6" tall)
D&D 3.5/Pathfinder: 49-55 inches (4'1" to 4'7" tall)
5E: 4 to 5 feet tall
You forgot an edition (not that I'm surprised), but it did very slightly continue the pattern.
4e: 51-57 in (4'3" - 4'9")
Though you could argue that 5e, in trying for a looser and more "word-based" style, simply took the 4e measurements and expanded them in both directions to account for unusually tall/short dwarves, e.g. 4'11" is pretty much 5 feet, and 4'1" is pretty much 4 feet, even though that's only two inches outside the usual range from 4e, so just shorthanding that to "four to five feet" is reasonable. If the pattern continues into 6e, we'd be looking at dwarves with a minimum typical height (4'5"-4'7") equivalent to their AD&D maximum typical height (4'6").

Zardnaar

Legend
I have been seeing this decline from the groups I run, and play with. Less and less dwarves. I had hoped after the Hobbit series, some players would jump on the chance, but no.

I would have though. And all dwarf party? Sign me up! Alass... might be some time yet before a dwarf graces my table once again.

They've been power crept out. Why be one when one subrace is meh and the other one is outclassed by the wild elf?

Pretty and 10' faster.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It's certainly possible, but it's hard to tell. Elves and half-elves are a perennial favorite for both mechanics and thematics. They're arguably the nearest to looking the same as humans, and they're generally held to be fairly attractive. And the combined Elf probably edges out the (arguably) stronger half-elf due to theme and look, as others have noted with the greater internal variation between wood and high elves.
Yea, I agree. If I had to bet on the rankings a year from now, post-Tasha's, I'd guess:

1) Human
2) Custom Lineage
3) Half-Elf
4) Mountain Dwarf
5) Dragonborn

Tiefling and various Elves will be right below; Elves combined would probably make the top 5.

Remove ads

Remove ads