D&D 5E The Fall Of The Dwarves: What Races Do People Actually Play?

What races are people actually playing, and how much of it is Tolkien fantasy as against other stuff? Fortunately D&D Beyond provides a better source of data than we've ever had. The most recent data from less than a week ago in December 2020 alas does not provide percentages. Human Half-Elf Dragonborn Tiefling Half-Orc In February 2019, using stats found via this very site: Human...

What races are people actually playing, and how much of it is Tolkien fantasy as against other stuff?

AF4847B0-224A-4E69-B2BA-7ABE6393B9A6.jpeg

Fortunately D&D Beyond provides a better source of data than we've ever had. The most recent data from less than a week ago in December 2020 alas does not provide percentages.
  1. Human
  2. Half-Elf
  3. Dragonborn
  4. Tiefling
  5. Half-Orc
In February 2019, using stats found via this very site:
  1. Human
  2. Variant Human
  3. Half Elf
  4. Tiefling
  5. Dragonborn
  6. Wood Elf
  7. High Elf
  8. Half-Orc
  9. Goliath
  10. Mountain Dwarf
  11. Lightfoot Halfling
  12. Hill Dwarf
Which is a bit of a change from what people were creating in launch month for D&D Beyond (mid 2017)
  1. Human
  2. Elf
  3. Half-Elf
  4. Dwarf
  5. Tiefling
  6. Dragonborn
  7. Genasi
  8. Halfling
  9. Half-Orc
  10. Gnome
  11. Goliath
The percentages are presented in different ways in 2019 and the launch month, with launch month merging the various subraces. So to compare like with like:
  • Wood elves and high elves taken together in the 2019 data are more popular than half-elves (or variant humans)
  • Meanwhile if we split the wood elves and high elves from 2017 they are probably both behind tieflings and dragonborn
  • Dwarves taken together in 2019 are only just behind dragonborn. They've still fallen from ahead of tieflings and dragonborn to behind them
  • Halflings combined in 2019 are neck and neck with half-orcs and ahead of goliaths
  • Genasi combined in 2019 are a little behind goliaths and slightly ahead of combined gnomes
Interesting that dwarves have fallen so heavily out of favour - and half orcs have climbed so strongly into favour; I guess there's been a lot of talk here. The thematics of tieflings and dragonborn (entirely unsurprisingly IMO) have made them core races and even the dwarfs are disappearing in favour of half-orcs (which IMO is a surprise).

The problem with Dwarves is the whole of their appeal is based in their stereotypical beardy axy dwarfishness.

There's not a lot you can do with that really. You can make up new cultures of Dwarves who don't have beards, and use khopeshes rather then axes and are yak goat herders on the alti-plano etc - but if a player actually wants to play a Dwarf they're assuming beardy axiness. If you change them from that you're really basically going through the same process you would if you were removing a core race and adding something new in its place - which you can do - but if you are going to do that, it's worth asking whether there's any reason to base this new race around Dwarves at all.

There's the whole things of 'my Dwarves are different - they're steppe riding nomad horse archers' which to my mind just tends to provoke the thought "but why are your steppe riding nomad horse archers Dwarves?"

BookTenTiger

He / Him
The problem with Dwarves is the whole of their appeal is based in their stereotypical beardy axy dwarfishness.

There's not a lot you can do with that really. You can make up new cultures of Dwarves who don't have beards, and use khopeshes rather then axes and are yak goat herders on the alti-plano etc - but if a player actually wants to play a Dwarf they're assuming beardy axiness. If you change them from that you're really basically going through the same process you would if you were removing a core race and adding something new in its place - which you can do - but if you are going to do that, it's worth asking whether there's any reason to base this new race around Dwarves at all.
In our current game we have three dwarven cousins:

One is a clan crafter, who wound up getting seduced by the black market, and lost everything. He's a fighter.

The other is a dwarven priest who served for over one hundred years before his wife died in a cave-in. He started adventuring just to get the materials for a resurrection spell, but now has discovered a mission from Moradin.

The last is my character, a dwarven wizard. Raised to be a kind of historian and leader for his people, he was exiled when he discovered a dangerous truth about a patriarch.

All three are very dwarfy-dwarves, but very different. Their beards are different, their combat style is different... but to all three, being a dwarf is very important!

On a serious note, I think that dwarves are kinda backstabbed by gnomes. They're supposed to be brilliant engineers and architects, but since there are better engineers and architects, dwarves are basically just bearded guys.
I see the overlap for sure, but for me I always thought of dwarves more like proud warriors with a clan structure and a strong sense of honour. Kinda like lawful good Klingons who sometimes invented cannons.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Power isn't the determination as to why things get played, it's enjoyment. Only the fringe players (who go online and talk about the game with strangers) usually pay that much attention to it.
That's a pretty strong statement; I'd want more than just impressions to back up something so absolute. Or, rather, I think this forgets that no game has a singular psychographic profile for its audience. While the Timmy/Jenny/Spike trio might not be a perfect map to D&D's players, there's a reason 4e made Robin Laws' player-type stuff an official thing in the DMG. There absolutely are players who don't go on forums like this, but who care about the mechanical power instead of, or in addition to, the themes of an option. I've known multiple such people who have never touched a D&D forum in their lives, but who absolutely factor power into their choices, or worse, feel compelled to avoid options they'd like because those options are weak. (Note, my point about knowing multiple of them is not meant to say the first thing about the ratio of such people in the overall population; it is only to emphasize that not only do such people exist, but it wasn't just a one-off fluke with a single person I knew.)

might be a controversial statement, but for some time now, I've been thinking that the gnomes cover the ''forgotten folk, master artisan and earth diggers'' archetypes somewhat better than the dwarves, without the rigidity that comes with them. The minotaurs can also cover the ''great builder'' archetype in new ways.
For the mirthful or noble fey-kin, I do think that the satyrs or centaurs can also bring a breath of fresh air if a table is getting tired of the classic elves.
Yeah, dwarves and halflings could really use some updating. I'd actually like to see halflings take up more of the hobbit behavior, tbh. First, of all the races, they seem like the ones most likely to do things like domesticating farm animals, which can have all sorts of implications in a world where "owlbear" could be a domesticated species. On that front, heck, make cowboys/cowgirls and "lone ranger" stuff a halfling cultural thing. That'd almost certainly increase their overall popularity. Second, actually make use of the fact that Bilbo and Frodo were landed gentry, and develop a sort of two-pronged cultural thing, with the wilder, woolier, down-to-earth Samwise-types contrasted against the lettered, estate-owning, genteel Bilbo-types. Where wood elves are the somewhat-scary guardians of forest and vale, "plains" halflings are the swaggering-too-big-for-her-britches ranchers and cattle-rustlers. Where high elves (or, my preference, eladrin) are the haughty masters of the arcane living in crystal spires overlooking mist-shrouded lands of mystery, "hill" halflings are the congenial gentlefolk-farmers who would love to chat about philosophy and art with you over tea once they've finished this golf game. The halfling rogue could be an Aussie-inspired sheep-thief, or a Pink Panther-style gentleman-thief, for example.

As for dwarves...that one's more difficult. Perhaps draw in associations with pastoralist, herding peoples? The staunch traditional dwarves can probably remain as they are, just with a more beefed-up sense of what they're about (more or less, iterate on the dwarves presented in Tolkien, especially Thorin and Gimli). Then tie the surface-dwarves to horses (or other travel-animals), archery, hit and run tactics. Weave in stuff from Mongolia and maybe Sparta, and make references to pastoralist cultures worldwide like the Sami, Zulu, Berber, Tuareg, etc. peoples. The "mountain" dwarves are those who hold to their old traditions and care about long family lineages, thousand-year religious traditions, family feuds centuries old, etc. While the "plateau" dwarves are far more libertine (in several senses) than their cousins, ranging across the steppe and exploring, sailing, conquering, etc.

These are, of course, just spitballed ideas. I haven't really thought about rebuilding these races specifically (though the whole plateau/pastoralism thing is what I did with the main dwarven homeland in my Dungeon World game). But I think this demonstrates there are directions we could go that respect the source material and what people have enjoyed about these races, while enriching them and hopefully broadening their thematic appeal.

On a serious note, I think that dwarves are kinda backstabbed by gnomes. They're supposed to be brilliant engineers and architects, but since there are better engineers and architects, dwarves are basically just bearded guys.
I've personally always envisioned dwarves as builders of large-scale industry and monumental designs, whereas rock gnomes are more interested in smaller-scale invention.

In our current game we have three dwarven cousins:

One is a clan crafter, who wound up getting seduced by the black market, and lost everything. He's a fighter.

The other is a dwarven priest who served for over one hundred years before his wife died in a cave-in. He started adventuring just to get the materials for a resurrection spell, but now has discovered a mission from Moradin.

The last is my character, a dwarven wizard. Raised to be a kind of historian and leader for his people, he was exiled when he discovered a dangerous truth about a patriarch.

All three are very dwarfy-dwarves, but very different. Their beards are different, their combat style is different... but to all three, being a dwarf is very important!
I'm talking about it from the GM/worldbuilding side. A player can of course do lots of things to add depth to a Dwarf - if they are so inspired.

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
This is a fair point. I think if I were to go in and tinker with all this stuff (no pun intended), I'd make gnomes specifically much more purely artificers and clockwork types. They wouldn't know the first thing about architecture, and building a ship or smithing a sword is for mere laborers, whereas they are ARTISANS. Dwarves--specifically mountain dwarves, given my above stuff--would be engineers who think on the scale of cities and mountains, smiths who build things to last until the end of an age (or being thrown in a volcano!). To limit themselves to something as small as a clockwork device or automaton would be unthinkable--and who'd want to make something that breaks so easily?! Etc.
I've personally always envisioned dwarves as builders of large-scale industry and monumental designs, whereas rock gnomes are more interested in smaller-scale invention.
Honest-to-God wrote all of the above before seeing this post, but it's good to know I'm not crazy to think the above!

jgsugden

Legend
These percentages are going to take a change, I imagine, once people start making PCs with the Tasha's freedom to adjust the bonuses.

Remove ads

Remove ads