The Fantasy Trip outsells GURPS in 2019?

GURPS at least gets regular support, a new thing a month and Pyramid now going 100% GURPS is getting a kickstarter. Now my very favorite system Unisystem (Buffy/Angel and All Flesh Must Be Eaten) which is set to have anew core book Beyond Human is still stuck in design hell where it has been for years. I also ran a decent GURPS game in 2018 and several before that so its getting players.
Yeah, well, almost every game ever written (OK there are a few exceptions) can find someone to play it. I'm sure there's someone out there running an original Metamorphosis Alpha game, for example, to name one rather obscure and long 'dead' RPG.

And yeah, I'm sure GURPS is a bunch more alive than that. I know SJ has provided some stuff in the last 10 years, but its not exactly an evolving and upward trending game these days. It has its fans, though TBH I personally would opt for more modern game engines. For example I used D6 Space (the genericized version of the old d6 Star Wars system) when I wanted to run a little Space Opera. Frankly, GURPS takes a lot of reading and digging up out of print material to really use, plus I'd rather have more player-focused narrative mechanics vs a really old-school 'DM generates all the fiction' sort of experience. That is just me though.

MGibster

Legend
GURPS at least gets regular support, a new thing a month and Pyramid now going 100% GURPS is getting a kickstarter. Now my very favorite system Unisystem (Buffy/Angel and All Flesh Must Be Eaten) which is set to have anew core book Beyond Human is still stuck in design hell where it has been for years. I also ran a decent GURPS game in 2018 and several before that so its getting players.
I think we've been hearing about Beyond Human for way more than a decade now. It's the Duke Nuke'em of of table top RPGs.

darjr

I crit!
Metamorphosis Alpha is quite alive and well. New material, some from the original creator came out just last year. There was a huge Kickstarter for a collectors book and new advent for such.
However I get your point.

Metamorphosis Alpha is quite alive and well. New material, some from the original creator came out just last year. There was a huge Kickstarter for a collectors book and new advent for such.
However I get your point.
Yeah, and I'm sure someone will eventually do a 'Reboot Hill' too, lol. There were a lot of good ideas in these games, but notice they rarely reuse any of the old mechanics.

corwyn77

Adventurer
Also, in early 2020, I was running two GURPS games, and played in two more with about 15 players in total. It's only as dead as players let it be.

chuckdee

Explorer
And yeah, I'm sure GURPS is a bunch more alive than that. I know SJ has provided some stuff in the last 10 years, but its not exactly an evolving and upward trending game these days.

They release (and have been releasing) product regularly on Warehouse 13- PDF material only, but there is definitely a cost associated with producing this material, so if there was not a pretty sizeable return on the release, I wouldn't think that they'd do it.

aramis erak

Legend
The whole thread is about the original version of TFT?
No. The Legacy Edition changes several mechanics profoundly - the most important of which is advancement.
SJG was borderline deceptive on the KS. It also moves to English Traditional Measure, while the original was metric. Many talents have important wording changes. IQ no longer sets the limit on number of known talents, too. (ITL p.45) Note that the XP per attribute point table is pretty similar, but buying new talents direct instead of increasing IQ becomes useful once the sum of stats hits 37... as a new point of IQ is then 600, while the skill is 500 per slot.

LE isn't a reprint, it's a new major edition change. It's still much lighter than GURPS.

Remove ads