• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Fifth City - Episode 1: The Gathering

pathfinderq1

First Post
With the fight ended, Lenya took one last look around at the carnage before she slung her bow over one shoulder- there was no way she could retrieve any arrows after that blast. She nodded to Felix. "At least your presence will make this easier to explain when the Watch arrives," she said, her voice once more soft and subdued.

While some of the others went to investigate the body in the alley, she stepped over towards the balcony where the assassin had been perched. Perhaps his body or gear might have some clues as well.

[sblock = OOC] Athletics to climb to balcony 1d20+2=15 [/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Castagyr, Dragonborn Paladin

FafnirAvatar.jpg
[sblock=Mini-stats]Castagyr
Init +1, Speed 20
AC 18; HP 11; Current: 11
Conditions in effect: Fire resistance
Dragon Breath: 1/1 avail
Divine Sense: 3/3 avail
Healing Hands: 5/5 points avail
Weapon in Hand: Lance
[/sblock]
Castagyr was no stranger to burnt flesh. His own fiery breath was capable of similar damage to foes. But the explosion was much larger magnitude. He had no remorse for the dead thugs that go burnt. With people heading in two different directions in the aftermath, he paused only a moment and followed after the archer seeing her about to climb up after the assassin.

“While you are up there, would you mind bringing back my javelins? I have at least one of them up there after sticking him with it.”

The dragonborn paladin collected the other javelin that deflected off the balcony itself to be lying there on the street where it landed.

Scotley

Hero
Felix curses the loss of any useful prisoners. He follows Amisi to look at the fallen leader. He examines the body carefully to determine how he died. He points back out to the burned area. "That one obviously had some access to magic. You and Markus are perhaps better able to explain it to me, but is it possible that he had somehow taken the identity this leader? Is their some trace or style difference you can detect that would indicate his magic was elven in nature?" He throws his hands up in frustration. "I realize I'm grasping at straws here, but we could have a the makings of a racial war on our hands here." He steps back out and asks Lenya, "I don't mean to give offense, but that man with the crossbow. Can you determine his race?"

Dr Simon

Explorer
Veer glances at Markus.
"I, well, I mean, he was speaking in elven, but, er, you know, doesn't make him an elf. I mean, y'know, I speak it too, only not so well." he stammers. "Something about a sword in the wind, and taking us with him. Um." He looks at Lenya helplessly. "I guess you understood him better than I did. I mean, it sounds like something you'd need to know ef culture to say, not just, not just speak the language. If you know what I mean." He thinks for a moment.

"You said he attacked you earlier?" he asks Lenya. "Maybe he was worried his cover would be blown, you know, by a fellow, um, elf."

Scotley

Hero
"I speak the language as well. But at this point it doesn't make much sense. My best guess is that the fellow in the alley is the one that attacked Lenya earlier and the exploding fellow somehow took his place, killing him in the process. Perhaps because of his obvious racist tendencies. I just don't understand his motive beyond that."

pathfinderq1

First Post
OOC: If Lenya can make the climb up to the balcony, she will, in order: 1. Toss down the javelin to Castagyr, 2. Take quick look at the assassin to determine his race (or any other obviously noteworthy characteristics), 3. Dump his body off the balcony to the street (it won't hurt him), 4. Gather his weapons and anything else from the balcony, 5. Climb back down. If she doesn't make the climb roll, this is all moot.

"His words were an oath used by one of the warrior clans, when our people were at war. They could not accept peace between our races, and chose their own path. It seems likely that he was trying to stir up trouble. If humans were seen to attack, or maybe kill, an elf, especially one closely associated with the ambassador it could be problematic. If the humans who did such a thing were caught, and brought to public trial, where they and their allies could make passionate speeches, it could cripple the cooperation between our folk that helps keep the city going. And they may have had further plans for violence, plans that we have now ended..."

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Castagyr, Dragonborn Paladin

FafnirAvatar.jpg
[sblock=Mini-stats]Castagyr
Init +1, Speed 20
AC 18; HP 11; Current: 11
Conditions in effect: Fire resistance
Dragon Breath: 1/1 avail
Divine Sense: 3/3 avail
Healing Hands: 5/5 points avail
Weapon in Hand: Lance
[/sblock]
Castagyr was not sure of the political ramifications, but listened to absorb what he could of the situation. It had not helped that his new lord had not given him anything either to work with.

He added, “Stirring up trouble implies they had no specific target in mind, but just general chaos.”

“However, that one in the balcony was very particular in his target, intending to assassinate the woman mage.”
He gestured towards Amisi. “He would have put a crossbow bolt in her back while you all were talking if I had not disrupted his aim with my javelin.”

Remove ads