The Fine Art of Quitting a Bad Game

Agent Oracle

First Post
Hey folks

I'm sure that by now everyone has been in at least one bad group.

Well, right now, i'm in a bad one, I've seen all the warning signs.

-Characters that are conversions from 1st edition (Did they have half-orc monks in 1st edition?)

-Gross difference in effective party member's power (i'm not talking "one guy has three 18's in his stat block, i'm talking the level 10 paladin started the game with a holy avenger, which he quested for back in 1e.)

-A GM who says things like "well if you don't like it, don't come" when problems are brought before him.

-Players pushing for heavy houseruling which would be in their favor (I can eyeball distances really good, so let's not play on a grid!)

-Underwhelming experience points for actual play (a CR 10 encounter yielded... 180 exp for a party of five 10th level PC's)

-Greater experience points for minor character fluff (Get a picture of your character: 250 exp.)

-Overcompensated for by a collection of Over-powered magical items. (Whups! Here, have a Defender and dragonscale armor +5)

-The GM has been playing forever, worked in a gamestore, etc. but is apparently still shakey on the rules.

-Oh, and the GM charges for people to play. it's a few dollars a week, and it supposedly all goes towards "set pieces" (i.e. increasing the DM's minis collection).

So, I want to quit. Here's the thing, If I just up and quit, I know for a fact that I won't be able to find another group for some time... perhaps too long.(I'm an addict, it's true.) I want to break ties with just the bad players, and make better friends with the good ones. Any suggestions for a good way to get through to the good players?

Last edited:

LostSoul

Adventurer
I was in a game once where each combat round took around 45 minutes. We only had 6 players.

I didn't last too long.

Oh yeah, just talk to the good players. Tell them you don't like the current game, but you don't want to quit playing with the good guys. "So what do you guys think about forming a new group?"

DerHauptman

First Post
Dude, say you have to go take a crap and never come back.... (about and much respect as this guy deserves)

Seriously, this group looks bad and the DM a disgrace. Do what the other guy said after you get done going to the bathroom.

Call the others (just the good ones) and say hey lets play a real game.

I'll DM its here on X day at X time lets play!

DerHauptman-Out!

William Ronald

Explorer
Agent Oracle said:
Hey folks

I'm sure that by now everyone has been in at least one bad group.

Well, right now, i'm in a bad one, I've seen all the warning signs.

-Characters that are conversions from 1st edition (Did they have half-orc monks in 1st edition?) -Gross difference in effective party member's power (i'm not talking "one guy has three 18's in his stat block, i'm talking the level 10 paladin started the game with a holy avenger, which he quested for back in 1e.)

-A GM who says things like "well if you don't like it, don't come" when problems are brought before him.

-Players pushing for heavy houseruling which would be in their favor (I can eyeball distances really good, so let's not play on a grid!)

-Underwhelming experience points for actual play (a CR 10 encounter yielded... 180 exp for a party of five 10th level PC's)

-Greater experience points for minor character fluff (Get a picture of your character: 250 exp.)

-Overcompensated for by a collection of Over-powered magical items. (Whups! Here, have a Defender and dragonscale armor +5)

-The GM has been playing forever, worked in a gamestore, etc. but is apparently still shakey on the rules.

-Oh, and the GM charges for people to play. it's a few dollars a week, and it supposedly all goes towards "set pieces" (i.e. increasing the DM's minis collection).

So, I want to quit. Here's the thing, If I just up and quit, I know for a fact that I won't be able to find another group for some time... perhaps too long.(I'm an addict, it's true.) I want to break ties with just the bad players, and make better friends with the good ones. Any suggestions for a good way to get through to the good players?

I think that you may have to explain why you wish to leave the group, namely that your style of play differs from that of the current group. Be willing to DM, and explain that your game would not require them to leave their current game.

As for some of the other issues, I think it is one thing to have a character from previous editions, provided that the character has an important role in a campaign setting, and another thing where there is blatant favoritism to one character or a set of characters. So, instead of your character joining a legendary band of heroes, it sounds like your character is a junior partner and will always remain so. (I have dealt with a few of the same headaches, so I sympathize with your plight. Suffice it to say, leaving an established group was the best option for me.)

The current DM may mean well, but it might be good to get him a copy of the Dungeon Master's Guide II. There may be some hope for him as a DM. Also, I find charging players to be a very strange thing. At least in the RPGA, there is some sort of quality control in events and in DMs. (Plus, the costs go to paying for rental of the facilities at a community college or other venue.)

Also, see if there are any RPGA events in your area, as they can be a great way to meet fellow gamers.

pogre

Legend
Just saying you enjoy everyone's company, but this just is not your style of game should not burn any bridges. Then you could independently contact the players you want to play with and see if they have interest in cranking up another campaign. Make sure it's on another night. If things go well in your campaign they might drop the older campaign as well.

Good luck!

scourger

Explorer
See to your own fun first. Nobody else at that table will. If it's more fun for you to keep playing than to quit, then keep playing. If it's more fun for you to quit than to keep playing, then quit. And don't have any compunction about poaching good players. It doesn't sound as if you're friends with any of these people outside the game.

Chimera

First Post
Agent Oracle said:

Fine. Bye.

Seriously, how much more do you need?

domino said:
"I'm sorry, but I'm not having fun in this game."

Spot on. You don't need to say anything more. You're not having fun, you don't want to play that game anymore. OH WELL. Pack up and move on.

You're not in THAT much of a backwater, assuming your location is correct. As others have suggested, offer to GM something or start poking around in the Gamers Wanted sections of this and other boards.

Remove ads