D&D General The first players—looking for experiences of those playing before 1976

Hello out there!

I am interested in knowing about how D&D affected the existing populace when it was a brand new phenomenon.

If you started playing before 1976,

1) How did you discover D&D (or roleplaying in general)
2) What was your reaction?
3) Were you a wargamer?
3a) What kind?

Before anyone suggests Peterson's books, yes I've read them. I want yourstories.

(I started in 1978, blue book. The earliest experience I've heard is my brother, who started when someone ran him in Tegel Manor. He didn't even know it was D&D—he assumed the game was called Tegel Manor. He was 13, it was 1976. Since he didn't have any experience with wargaming or formal roleplaying before that, and since D&D was already a thing, I am looking for prior experiences.)
🙂

vonmolkew

Explorer
https://smolderingwizard.wordpress....hlondar-chronicles-original-dd-at-its-finest/

Try reading this; its an Old school newsletter about a campaign called Rythlondar. It gives a really interesting take on a long-running public campaign with a bunch of players. Well before the Jaquays method of dungeon creation. The PDF in it is 80 pages and covers just about everything they did including character gneration, keeping track of stuff (like Living Greyhawk/Living City type stuff). I started playing about 4 years after this & it somewhat mirrored what my friends and I did back then.

GreyLord

Legend
I don't think that you really need to get ONLY those who started prior to 1976. If you truly seek those out, you will find they are minimal in size. There were not a ton of people who really were there at the beginning. Because there were not a ton of those, and many of them are older, you may find that there are little to no responses. It wasn't exactly easy peasy for most of the people out there to actually even find out or know about D&D.

I'd probably just ask about those who started with the original Dungeons and Dragons and the original 3 booklets. They will probably have a general experience that relates to the spreading popularity of D&D and the eventual transition.

For example, I WAS a wargamer. Actually, I still AM a War gamer. There is a difference between a War gamer and a Fantasy Roleplaying game. As someone who actually really liked the historical aspect, at times, those who portrayed fantasy into history may have gotten on my nerves at times. Sometimes it still annoys me when people try to insist their fantastical ideas are true to history.

I did NOT own a copy of the rules when I first played (and I imagine there are many who would be in my same spot. They did not own copies of the game at first). I didn't even really know what I was doing or what exactly the rules were, but it fascinated me. I loved it from the beginning. I eventually got my own set of rules.

When Greyhawk entered into the scheme, it changed the game. I prefer to play with the Greyhawk rules. That's my style. Other supplements (and Strategic Review if you were so lucky as to land copies of it or had a friend and...umm...they had a way to transfer information to you somehow) just added to it.

I'd say open it up to anyone who started playing back then and not just those at the start of it all. They could be from 1975 or later, as long as they started with the original 3 booklets prior to the releases of AD&D and such.

Those who were young at the time are now in their SIXTIES or OLDER at this point, if that tells you how old the original bunch of gamers were. Gygax would be 85 now, turning 86 this year. Arneson would be 76. Mentzer is younger at 72. Rob Kuntz, one of the younger ones who started is now around 68.

I know Mr. Kuntz also browses the forums around here at times, but you are trying to talk to an older crowd, most of whom probably do not frequent the forums as much these days.

Just my thoughts on who you should be asking to get a bigger source of information. Still, perhaps the thread will get a ton more responses.

Good Luck!

PS: My impression on how it impacted the existing population...which population? Wargamers were a mixed bunch. Many of the older gamers I FEEL (I have no hard stats or anything for any of this, so it's all based on anecdotal and distant memory) didn't have much interest in this new upstart game. Others snorted with derision. Then you had others who had an interest and then dove deep into it. Varied takes on the Wargamers. On the general population of the world...almost zero impact. It was more localized at the beginning. If you were from Indiana, or the areas that were around Northern Indiana and were among certain groups you probably heard of it, but probably didn't actually have anyone who had it or tried it till later. Even among that population though, unless you were from a certain crowd, it is possible you didn't even hear about it until the late 70s at the earliest. It gained ground among some groups and grew very popular, but was still sort of niche (IMO, remember, this is ALL anecdotal and from memories from LOOOOONG ago). I had relatives from the Indianapolis area and further north that didn't even hear about D&D until the 80s.

I'm not sure what you are looking for when you ask about what impact it had on the population.

For example, I WAS a wargamer. Actually, I still AM a War gamer. There is a difference between a War gamer and a Fantasy Roleplaying game. As someone who actually really liked the historical aspect, at times, those who portrayed fantasy into history may have gotten on my nerves at times. Sometimes it still annoys me when people try to insist their fantastical ideas are true to history.

I did NOT own a copy of the rules when I first played (and I imagine there are many who would be in my same spot. They did not own copies of the game at first). I didn't even really know what I was doing or what exactly the rules were, but it fascinated me. I loved it from the beginning. I eventually got my own set of rules.

When Greyhawk entered into the scheme, it changed the game. I prefer to play with the Greyhawk rules. That's my style. Other supplements (and Strategic Review if you were so lucky as to land copies of it or had a friend and...umm...they had a way to transfer information to you somehow) just added to it.
Thanks for replying! If you didn't own a copy of the rules at first, I take it you were introduced by someone else? Do you know what year that was?

Did you emphasize the wargaming aspects or the roleplaying, at least at first?

And how did you discover Greyhawk?

Stormonu

Legend
If you haven’t, you might also want to check around Dragonsfoot - there may be some older gamers there, if it at all.

I myself started with Holmes (and a little later the red book) in ‘79 and didn’t know about the 3 little books until the fairly recent reprints. That time before I started sounds like it was akin to the era of explorers discovering a whole new world (of possibilities, and pitfalls).

I have hope. :) Because of what I do at Galactic Journey, I am friends with a lot of people much older than that (though it is a mixed joy; my friend Tom Purdom just passed away at the age of 87.)

Also, I'm only 49 (going on 50), and I keenly remember my introduction to D&D in 1978. The Holmes blue book was one of my first books ever.

Those who were young at the time are now in their SIXTIES or OLDER at this point, if that tells you how old the original bunch of gamers were. Gygax would be 85 now, turning 86 this year. Arneson would be 76. Mentzer is younger at 72. Rob Kuntz, one of the younger ones who started is now around 68.

I know Mr. Kuntz also browses the forums around here at times, but you are trying to talk to an older crowd, most of whom probably do not frequent the forums as much these days.
Tim Kask was around for quite some time during both the MAR Barker legacy-implosion and the start of the NuTSR saga. He and Kuntz could answer questions Peterson might not have (the downside of rigorous primary-source only sourcing is that there are some things you simply won't find definitive answers). An account opened up for a while a few months ago purporting to be Mornard (Old Geezer, Gronan, etc.), but I don't know for sure it was him. He gamed at both Gary and Dave's table and saw stuff from the pre-publishment days.

That said, these are all going to skew towards the view of D&D as the people right on top of the games' creation (either at Gary/Dave's tables, or in the business itself).

As Stormonu states, Dragonsfoot is more focused on TSR-era D&D and might have more people present. There is also https://odd74.proboards.com/, r/oD&D on reddit, and http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/index.php. None are going to be sure-fire, and the bottlenecking effect is going to mean you aren't going to get a true representation of the average experience people had back in the day, but it still should be interesting.

Last edited:

Remove ads