D&D 3E/3.5 The Furchin halfling for 3e

Anime Kidd

Explorer
I'm looking for any 3e writeups for the Furchin halfling found in the 2e book Complete Book of Gnomes and Halflings. Anyone done it yet or is there a site that has written it up?

Edit -----
New version.

The Furchin, or Polar Halfling

Base Speed: 20 ft.
O +2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -2 Wisdom.
O +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Listen, and Wildernes Survival checks. They gain the survial bonus only when dealing with extremely cold and artic conditions. Wilderness Survival is always a class skill.
O +1 racial attack bonus with a thrown weapons.
O +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
O Small: As Small creatures, halflings gain a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but they must use smaller weapons than humans use, and their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of Medium-size characters.
O Artic Toughness: Due to the furchin's native artic lands, they have become accustomed to artic survival conditions. They gain a Cold Resistance equal to their Constition bonus (minimum of 1) and a +2 racial bonus to any save versus cold.
O Automatic Languages: Common and Furchin.
O Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Artic Minotaur, Goblin, and Orc. Smart halflings learn the languages of their friends and enemies.
O Favored Multiclass: Ranger.

ECL: +0.

Last edited:

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Here's a quick and dirty conversion:
As PHB halflings except for the following:
-Ability mods: +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Strength, -2 Wisdom
-No low-light vision
-+4 racial bonus on any saves vs. cold-based attacks or effects (stacks with the general +1 bonus on all saves)
- +4 racial bonus on Wilderness Lore skill checks when in areas with a cold or arctic climate. Wilderness Lore is always a class skill.
-No racial bonus with thrown weapons
-No morale bonus against fear
Favored Class: Ranger- Furchin halflings are used to dealing with rugged lands of extreme cold but are unfamiliar with the city or human interactions.

Last edited:

Anime Kidd

Explorer
With your advice, here is what I have so far:

Base Speed: 20 ft.
O +2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -2 Wisdom.
O +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Listen, and Move Silently checks. They also gain a +2 racial bonus to any Wildernes Survival checks when dealing with extremely cold and artic conditions. Wilderness Survival is always a class skill.
O +1 racial attack bonus with a thrown weapons.
O +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
O Small: As Small creatures, halflings gain a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but they must use smaller weapons than humans use, and their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of Medium-size characters.
O Cold Resistance: Due to their living conditions in artic lands, they gain a +2 racial bonus to any save versus cold effects and have a cold resistance equal to half their Con bonus to cold-based attacks. - (Im wondering if this is to much)
O Automatic Languages: Common and Furchin.
O Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Artic Minotaur, Goblin, and Orc. Smart halflings learn the languages of their friends and enemies.
O Favored Multiclass: Ranger. - (Im wondering about this as well. Seems to fit the furchin, but then again...)

Im not sure what the ECL should be. I want it as +0, but it looks like its a +1.

Psychotic Jim

First Post
The ability modifiers balance out according to the DMG. The bonus to Str balances out the bonus to Dex, and the penalty to Wis balances out the bonus to Con.
I'd get rid of the cold resistance altogether or make it so that it only applies to cold subdual damage taken from unprotected exposure to artic conditions ("cold dangers" as per the DMG pg. 86).
You could also get rid of the +2 to Move Silently checks if you wanted to. I don't know how much sneaking you have to do in the arctic tundra wastelands.
That should help make it more balanced to ECL +0.

As for the ranger favored class, I think it's probably the best fit for a favored class. The druid is the only other "wilderness-oriented" class and furchins seem to be more of the "survival" type rather than the nature-worshipping type.

Anime Kidd

Explorer
Hows this for Cold Resistance?

Cold Resistance: Due to their living conditions in artic lands, they gain a +2 racial bonus to any save versus cold effects and have a cold resistance equal to half their Con bonus to any cold damage caused by the environment.

Edit -----

Thanks for pointing out the Move Silent skill. :eek:

Last edited:

Anime Kidd

Explorer
sd2.gif
Im having trouble replying here!
sd2.gif

Anyways... I punched in the furchin with both the save bonus and the cold resistance at the Race Calculator at RPGCosmos.com and it came out to be ECL 0. So I geuss it is balanced somewhat.

The newest version is in the first post.

Edit ----
Spelling.

Im having a bad day today.
azcrying.gif

Last edited:

Remove ads