D&D 5E The Gloves Are Off?

hawkeyefan

Legend
My impression of 5e is that the game it is going for, it doesn't matter if the gloves are present or not - you still call for the same saving throw.

I don’t think it’s going for any one interpretation. I think 5e was designed loosely in spots to allow for different interpretations.

But for me personally, I don’t think the kind of meticulous gear management that was more present in earlier editions (or perhaps in some cases, the rose colored recollections of them) is very well suited to 5e.

Voadam

Legend
Thank you. I didn't use traps for a very long time because the suggested deployment when I started made them impossible to fairly use in an encounter because they get added to the XP budget despite being something the players might never know about, or that the players could never figure a way out of (I can't remember the name now, but I had this 3e book of traps that had things in it that were like a freaking MENSA test that killed you if you weren't a genius or min-maxed rogue with paranoia issues and a wand of dispel magic..
Traps & Treachery?

The Wurst of Grimtooth's Traps?

Lethal Legacies: Traps of the World Before?

There were a few.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Had to check the cover, but it was traps and treachery.

I vividly remember a water trap that releases progressively larger sharks to attack you while you operate a needlessly obtuse combination lock puzzle (The sharks are released when you get a part right) and a setup that gives one player a powerful magic arm in order to trick another into putting their head in a guillotine.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Had to check the cover, but it was traps and treachery.

I vividly remember a water trap that releases progressively larger sharks to attack you while you operate a needlessly obtuse combination lock puzzle (The sharks are released when you get a part right)
Which is a very interesting twist, as if the party figure out where the sharks are coming from and somehow proactively deal with them (e.g. block their means of entry or kill them in their holding tank or whatever) they then lose the means of knowing when they've advanced a step in solving the puzzle, as they won't be triggering release of a shark each time.

I like it! :)

Shiroiken

Legend
This honestly doesn't sound like a "good faith" argument by the player, but I'll skip this particular concern.

Why did the character touch the chest? Certain things will require tactile senses you can't get through gloves. If it's something that could done with gloves, then I'd let it pass. If it requires touch, then they had to have taken the gloves off first.

But, my character is wearing gloves!

The gloves…

1F6AA6CD-496C-41E7-AB42-6392DE403FE5.jpeg

Here is how I would handle it, reward the creativity of the Player, but don't remove the threat entirely.

"The greasy liquid soaks through your gloves to your skin, but the barrier the gloves provide reduces the amount you've been exposed too, so you role with advantage".

Lojaan

Hero
The problem with this is you are deciding what the PC is doing, which is IMO out of bounds for the GM.

Commandment One: Thou shalt not violate Player Agency.
Incorrect. I said the character doesn't think to take them off.

The player still has the choice to take them off if they think of it/choose to do so but they won't be prompted by the DM.

Remove ads