D&D 5E The Gloves Are Off?

Voadam

Legend
I'm honestly not sure how much this particular scenario (at least in general, aside from addressing gloves specifically) could be fixed by the game designers. The rules can account for a lot, but they can't cover every potential point of interaction between the PCs and the DM/game world.
If they had abstracted it out to just contact instead of specifying contact with exposed skin there would be less invitation to focus on the exposed skin exposure.

4e just has a straight fortitude save for poison attacks, so the exact contact method can vary narratively and you can either say it always hits and the subject resists or not, or the save represents being hit or not and the poison just works.

Here RAW is highlighting the narrative exposed skin contact issue. A lot of the explanations for close to skin contact such as breathing it in after glove contact stirred it up would work better without that specific detail being the default guideline to work with.

Reynard

Legend
Being surprised isn't an action either (though I can foresee some debating on that score), but apparently that was a bridge too far.
If you reread your description of that you will see that even in that, you defined a mental state for the PC, instead of just saying what is happening.

It appears that you think this is silly, so here is why I think it matters: players have conceptions for their characters in mind, and they very often play out more game in their heads than is apparent at the table. The GM determining how they act or react, or what their emotional state it, is a problem for those players that like to inhabit their characters. Some players don't mind, and if you have identified those player, go ahead and narrate to your heart's content. But it is easier to not do it in the first place. Describe the world and the events and let the players tell you how their character feels and responds. It is usually more satisfying for everyone (with the caveat that there are fairly rare players that prefer this sort of thing for various reasons, but exceptions prove rules).

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
4e just has a straight fortitude save for poison attacks, so the exact contact method can vary narratively and you can either say it always hits and the subject resists or not, or the save represents being hit or not and the poison just works.
D&D 4e has a Fortitude defense which a poison attacks. A saving throw in D&D 4e would be something you roll at the end of your turn to end an effect a save can end such as ongoing poison damage.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The practice they were referring to is not to start the narration of a result with "You." That way you can avoid ever saying "You do this or that, or you think yada yada."
It didn't sound that nuanced; I'd prefer to let them speak for themselves on that matter.
If they had abstracted it out to just contact instead of specifying contact with exposed skin there would be less invitation to focus on the exposed skin exposure.

Here RAW is highlighting the narrative exposed skin contact issue. A lot of the explanations for close to skin contact such as breathing it in after glove contact stirred it up would work better without that specific detail being the default guideline to work with.
Right, but there's room for sidestepping this issue if you hold (not unreasonably, I'd say) that the die roll takes all of that into account rather than gloves adding an additional layer of consideration, which leads back into the DM adjudicating that via narrating what the PC does.

If we take it as a given that a failed save indicates exposure to the poison, regardless of narrative factors, then it's incumbent on the DM to set up how that works. In which case, something to the effect of "you wipe away an errant bead of sweat" makes the issue of the gloves irrelevant, because the PC has touched their skin after their gloves hands touched the contact poison, transferring it from their glove to their face. To that end, the entire issue of the gloves becomes moot, and instead what happens is that the rules have been fleshed out with a narrative scenario which accurately connotes what the die roll indicated.

Arguing that this violates a PCs agency largely strikes me as being a non-issue in this instance, because if PCs are supposed to accept the consequences for their actions, that fits, even if the GM needs to flesh out what they did.

It appears that you think this is silly, so here is why I think it matters: players have conceptions for their characters in mind, and they very often play out more game in their heads than is apparent at the table. The GM determining how they act or react, or what their emotional state it, is a problem for those players that like to inhabit their characters.
It's not that I think this is silly, it's that I think asserting that level of agency (which strikes me as extreme) is ultimately detrimental to overall game-play. In the scenario that I described above in response to @Voadam the issue of wearing gloves or not doesn't matter, because the die roll has determined the result already, which the PC has tacitly consented to via sitting down to play the game. Having the DM narrate that in the manner described above doesn't seem like a bridge too far to avoid the issues of whether or not gloves should offer some level of additional protection as well as issues of whether or not said gloves are present and whose responsibility it is to raise awareness of them, even if it infringes on the player's agency.

A little compromise, in other words, goes a long way, and saying that anything which abrogates the player's agency in their character is verboten strikes me as being a detriment to game-play, rather than abetting it.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I mean, I didn't say anything about "reinforced kevlar gloves to prevent your hands being blown off", did I? I'm just saying sometimes they wear gloves. I don't even know if "reinforced kevlar gloves to prevent your hands being blown off" even exist lol.
The comparison pics I commented on were no gloves & bulky reinforced kevlar gloves. There is a reason why the two differ in what they are wearing & that difference is pertinent when a picture of what is effectively a magic item is being used to justify PC loadout. Players can't just give themselves magic items they imagine themselves wearing & overselling the effectiveness of mundane bits of clothing after the roll to retcon failed check or save is just as unreasonable. Warm gloves don't offer much protection from toxins & chemicals, they offer even less after being exposed due to a failed skill check that caused exposure.

If a PC was bit by a snake who made a successful attack roll or because the player failed their save would "oh I imagine my character wearing armor like so" be enough to nullify the snake's venom after the roll too?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
All I know is that I've already made my next character token:

token_1 (2).png

Voadam

Legend
Even a slightly more comprehensive equipment list and a rule/guideline that gear carried must be shown or somehow noted on the character sheet and boom - problem largely solved at the design level and thus never reaches the table.
I don't think so.

The equipment was a set of traveller's clothes. Both the DM and player agreed the character was wearing them. It was clearly on the sheet and clearly understood by all parties. What the clothes specifically consist of is just not delineated in the PH, just like the exact contents of a set of thieves tools. You generally know it is picks and some other tools, but not really beyond that level.

The issue I think is more on the contact with exposed skin aspect of the contact poison here. Even with the contact poison skin exposure thing the trap could be set up to aerosolize or spray the contact poison so it coats the PC which would generally generate skin contact somewhere unless they are in a diving suit or something similar which is tougher to narratively avoid than direct skin contact on the hands which gloves turn into an easy avoid.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
So, tangent question for the DMs in this thread:

Would you allow the PCs to passively ignore traps and hazards purely through mundane means? (Not through magic or class features or even luck.) This thread presents the example of wearing ordinary gloves to automatically defeat contact poison traps, but I'm sure there are others.

Remove ads