D&D 5E The Gloves Are Off?

Stormonu

Legend
If you made your save, the "gloves" protected you. If you failed, either you took the gloves off, or it soaked through.

I had something similar happen back in 1E or 2E, involving a cockatrice "touching" bare flesh and a character wearing leather armor that thought they should be protected from it.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I haven't had a chance to really dig - but is there any place that breaks out what any of the clothing outfits include? I don't think it would be wrong to just go with whatever the player says they think would be part of the array as long as it isn't completely unreasonable.

I certainly wouldn't assume the outfit didn't include gloves just because gloves aren't on the buyable equipment list. I don't see trousers on the list either and that doesn't induce me to assume the PCs are Winnie-the-Poohing it around everywhere.
In DDB, it does specifically say what each outfit has except the noble one, whihc just says it's 'in fashion'. None of them have gloves

The Common outfit doesn't have shoes.

ECMO3

Hero
"Ah okay. you're wearing gloves. You still feel a weird greasy feeling."

Next thing they touch gets the poison transferred to it.

Weirldy though, I don't think the game itself cares if you're wearing gloves, just that you touched the no-no juice.
Exactly. Two things on this:

1. normal leather gloves are not completely waterproof. They would have to be rubber for that.

2. Even if they protected his hands, wo he touched the chest than he wiped the sweat off his brow .... unless he is being specific to tell you that he is being careful not to touch it I would rule he got some on his person.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Players that want specific truths about the fiction should establish those truths about the fiction before they become pertinent.
I can't disagree with this, but it rubs me the wrong way. The characters live in the world, but there's only so much bandwidth through the DM about it. I don't want to specify that I put on my shoes in the morning, I expect that to be the default. Same for other parts. If the first time it comes up in play that my character is wearing a hat is when I doff it respectfully when minor royalty comes around, I really don't want to get into situation that the character doesn't have a hat because at no previous point in the narrative, when it would have been intrusive as opposed to the natural flow, that I mention wearing it.

On the other hand I hear what you are putting down. Had a recent session where a door was giving off warmth and I explicitly told the DM my character was donning his gloves, and the DM avoided me taking damage from touching the hot doorknob briefly to turn it.

On the gripping hand, there's also an assumption that gloves will negate a failed save against the trap of contact poison. Be it that the poison can permiate the material, or that failing the save means getting some on your exposed skin (perhaps at the wrist, or touching yourself after getting it on the fingers), or somethings else, aren't the normal things you do to protect yourself already considered part of the save, specifically the luck part of the d20 roll? So this goes back to reinforcing your statement that something abnormal, which wouldn't normally be part of the save, needs to be declared.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
In DDB, it does specifically say what each outfit has except the noble one, whihc just says it's 'in fashion'. None of them have gloves

The Common outfit doesn't have shoes.
Does DDB have a source listed on this? I don't see this level of detail in the SRD.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
I find most RPGs get wonky when you dive into the nitty gritty details of equipment.

I seem to recall having to rule that space suits in my Star Wars game were self-sealing so that I wouldn’t have to instead rule that they made the wearer immune to loads of things (or that they were easily punctured, thus rendering them useless).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I haven't had a chance to really dig - but is there any place that breaks out what any of the clothing outfits include?

"Traveler's Clothes: This set of clothes could consist of boots, a wool skirt or breeches, a sturdy belt, a shirt (perhaps with a vest or jacket), and an ample cloak with a hood."

The "could consist of" leaves it vague.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
DM: "Yeah, the gloves protected you from the acidic coating of the last chest you opened, so now it has eaten away the fingertips of the gloves and the poison goes through. What is that? I did not mention the acid earlier? I see. Did you mention the gloves earlier?"

Dausuul

Legend
Why would it? The weight of a falling object doesn’t affect the speed of its fall, and I can’t imagine plate armor reducing a person’s wind resistance.
The wind resistance probably stays the same; but your weight goes up, so the same amount of wind resistance won't slow you down as much, and your terminal velocity goes up.

Remove ads