• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"The Godfather" and Alignment

What is Don Vito Corleone's alignment?

• Lawful Good

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Neutral Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chaotic Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lawful Neutral

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Neutral

• Chaotic Neutral

• Lawful Evil

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Neutral Evil

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Chaotic Evil

Votes: 1 1.1%

Rhialto

First Post
You know, considering the various debates we get on the alignment I've decided to try a fun one. As a result of watching Godfather I& II recently, I'd like to know what alignment you consider Don Vito Corleone?

I'll give my opinion later, after I've seen a few others.

And we're talking about Don Vito, not Michael, or the Mafia in general. In fact, we're talking about the Godfather movie Mafia, not the real world Mafia--there are simularities between the two, but they are different animals.

kengar

First Post
whee! first vote! :D

I voted LE because Vito Corleone was ruthless and never hesitated to kill or have someone killed if it were expedient. He also had a rigid code he followed and worked towards preserving the group he identified with; his family.

KDLadage

Explorer
Lawful Neutral

He believes in a rigid structure, but not necesarilly the one that society at large believes in. Thus, he will adhere to the laws of his own code of ethics, but ignore any and all laws that get in his way. In other words, he is lawful, and believes in a common good; he just disagrees with a lot of people on what what is common and good.

Given his love of family and the concern he had for his neighborhood, I would never characterize him as evil. After all, he was the one that refused to allow drugs to enter into his turf and was shot because of this. He wanted nothing to do with these things as it represented 'dirty money' to him.

He is not good, as he has a defined group that he would consider worthy of protection, where-as I would characterise a good person as not making such distinctions or as someone that saw beyond to the "greater good" and based his choices upon that ideal.

I would not characterise him as neutral-anything or chaotic-anything due to his strong and almost overpowering desire for order (again, not necessarilly the same order that the whole of society was working for, but he did not want a turf war (chaos) nor to upset the balance of the five families (neutral, selfish).

BryonD

Hero
LE

Clearly some Neutral and even Good aspects, but overwhelmingly evil.

Not chaotic. Very structured. Ignoring the laws of goverment does not in itself require a chaotic outlook.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Neutral Evil.

He lives outside the law of society, but believes in and follows structure and law when it suits him. However, he is willing to ignore that order and structure for personal gain or to protect his interests (business and personal).

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
I ran with Lawful Neutral, but I'd add some Evil tendencies. If we want to take LE, then Michael's our boy, AFAIC (mainly based on GF, II). ;)

Best,
tKL

KnowTheToe

First Post
Lawful evil if you ask me, but I do not really study the Allignments too closely. I never really understood their purpose. Anyway I got my vote in before the off topic poll is closed.

novyet

First Post
Kajamba Lion said:
I ran with Lawful Neutral, but I'd add some Evil tendencies. If we want to take LE, then Michael's our boy, AFAIC (mainly based on GF, II). ;)

Best,
tKL
I too say LN, with evil tendencies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads