• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Great Conjunction II (RPG Design Contest)

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I had an idea for a bar fighting RPG, but I don't think that would fit 'discovery' very well. It would also be lacking on the 'depth' side of things. Ah well, back to the drawing board.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I've at least locked down a title. . . . "In Search Of. . ." :) I think I'm going to use a stripped down and re-tooled version of my Bastard Sword mechanic tweaked slightly to recreate an "OD&D" feel with a few twists.

Wik

First Post
I've at least locked down a title. . . . "In Search Of. . ." :) I think I'm going to use a stripped down and re-tooled version of my Bastard Sword mechanic tweaked slightly to recreate an "OD&D" feel with a few twists.

Ha ha, yeah, the title is so hard. Right now, I've got "Discovery". Which is, um, lame. :)

And I have no idea what mechanic to go for. I want something that has some wiggle room so PCs can "level up" decently... but I don't want it to go too far. I'm thinking a die mechanic sort of like that in Earthdawn could work. But so far, no clue how to go about it.

I did decide that PCs start the game with no magic, whatsoever. Which should be an interesting twist (and saves me from having to design a "balanced" magic system!).

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Ha ha, yeah, the title is so hard. Right now, I've got "Discovery". Which is, um, lame. :)

I think you misunderstood. "In Search Of. . . " is actually the title. :D

I did decide that PCs start the game with no magic, whatsoever. Which should be an interesting twist (and saves me from having to design a "balanced" magic system!).

Interesting!

GlassEye

Adventurer
I immediately thought of Nimoy. And Atlantis, of course...
Which makes it nearly perfect!

I've been tossing around "Here Be Monsters" but it doesn't really go with the internal exploration/discovery idea that I've thinking of. But then again, maybe it does. Hmm.

Wik

First Post
I think you misunderstood. "In Search Of. . . " is actually the title. :D

Oh. Whoops! I saw the smiley, and assumed... sarcasm? Even though it's a perfectly good title.

It is true, though, that i have the worst skill at coming up with titles for things. It's almost always one of the last things I do, just because everything I come up with sounds like crap.

Verdande

First Post
This is exactly the opportunity I'd been needing. I'm in.

Plus, I love old-school RPGs and had been wanting to make one for years now.

Wik

First Post
Okay. Started serious work today. And then realized - I Want to make a light-hearted game.

How does one turn a game where the PCs are explorers and conquistadors into a light-hearted game? It's hard to make Aztec sacrifices "light-hearted".

I'm thinking of switching gears.

What's more interesting? A game where the PCs are criminals and pirates exploring the "new world", in a world that has a magic element (but the PCs do not)... OR... a light-hearted romp where the PCs are mutated animals fighting giant aphids in a caricature of a post-apocalyptic wasteland?

I really do want a light-hearted tone, because I generally find writing to be easier when I'm cracking jokes (plus it's a more enjoyable read).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads