• COMING SOON! -- Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition! Level up your 5E game! The standalone advanced 5E tabletop RPG adds depth and diversity to the game you love!
log in or register to remove this ad

 

THE HEROES OF DYVERS CHAPTER 7: CLARE'S ERRAND


log in or register to remove this ad


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Replying on behalf of Respen, with an "e," whose player is gone fishin'. 😉


Respen says, "Yes, I know of the practice. True Name Magicks are used to bind and control supernatural entities, such as Djinn, Baatezu, and Tanar'ri, usually for the purpose of using the bound creature's abilities for one's own personal gain. True Name Magicks can also be used on regular people such as yourself, but only for the purposes of scrying and gating. Only supernatural entities can have their will enslaved by such magicks. And the practice of such is considered to be the Dark Arts, equal in depravity to the practice of Necromancy. If that is how you were brought here, then Ankheret must be a mad, diabolical creature. This little side-errand is getting worse and worse with each passing moment. To all of you, friends of old acquaintance, and newly-met, I say that I am sorry for dragging you here on my behalf. I am forever in your debt."
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Vale's axe, Val, speaks up: "Yer mistress, Clare, could be said to be diabolical as well, pansy Elf. She is a Drow, is she not? And a vampire to boot? I look forward to the day when my blade bites into her flesh!"

Vale shrugs. He can't say it out loud, but he agrees with his axe for once. In his mind, Respen made a huge mistake by entering into this agreement with Dame Clare. He hoped that they would all soon see the better side of it. But burn it all, sometimes this axe was just a little too blunt and free with its proverbial tongue!
 





Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
SUMMARY:

The party decides to forget about experimenting with the keys, and stuffs them back into Respen's portable hole. No one wants to look at the statue, either. That's fine. It's probably a trap. 😎

When Lathir approaches the door, it opens, magically. Lathir steps through, and the rest of the party follows suit.

At a sprint of 120' per round, it takes 7 rounds to reach the center room again; the party doesn't bother to check for traps, and true to the previous hallways, there are none.


B9C17F0E-0744-4869-BE4F-EAFA81477458.jpeg

7D761E68-6817-405C-8C96-35533A104AE5.jpeg

This chamber is 80 feet square with a 40-foot-high ceiling. The door you have just opened is positioned in the west corner of the chamber. Situated in the middle of each of the four walls is a 10-foot-wide stone door covered with inscriptions. The remaining walls are covered with detailed murals.

In front of each door is a stone pedestal, 10 feet wide, 20 feet long and five feet high. Crouching on each pedestal are full-sized granite statues of sphinxes. Each pedestal holds a different sphinx, and all face their respective doors in silent vigilance,

To the right facing southwest is a falcon-headed hieracosphinx, and to the left facing northwest is a goat-headed criosphinx. On the other side of the chamber, a male androsphinx faces northeast, while a female gynosphinx faces southeast.

In the center of the chamber is a squat pyramid, perhaps five feet high. Composed of smooth tan stone, each of the four surfaces is engraved with a small triangle with an eye set into the center.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The party finally reaches the testing room once more; the only test they have not yet passed is that of the Hieracosphinx; Respen approaches, and reads the riddle engraved on the baseplate aloud:

Riddle of the Hieracosphinx:
“I stand beneath the walls;
Below me there is nothing.
The root at the beginning,
The ruin at the end.
What am I?”

Respen holds his hand up in a closed fist, to let the newcomers (Lathir and Xao) know that they should not speak. Respen pulls out a quill and parchment, and writes them the following note:

SPEECH IS CONSIDERED AN ANSWER. WRITE YOUR IDEAS ON THIS PARCHMENT. I SHALL SPEAK, WHEN WE HAVE ALL AGREED TO AN ANSWER.

GM:
This is your chance to discuss this in LINE chat. Xao, you REALLY should consider getting LINE chat for your phone. It's so useful. :)
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
All of that (The battle with the Lamia, the talking, trying to smash the globe, examining the keys, more talking, etc.) took 13 rounds.

Transversing the hallway back to the center room took 7 rounds.

Thus, 20 rounds are now gone from the buff durations:


DURATIONS: (Original duration) [Current count against duration, in rounds]
Fly: Less than 12 mins (117 rounds) [-128] FLIGHT HAS ENDED.
Armor: 24 hours (14,400 rounds) [-128]
Shield: Less than 24 minutes (237 rounds) [-128]
Alter Self: Less than 120 minutes (1197 rounds) [-128]
Dragonskin: Less than 120 minutes (1197 rounds) [-128]
Prot. vs. Evil: Less than 24 minutes (237 rounds) [-128]
Blur: Less than 12 mins (117 rounds) [-128] BLUR HAS ENDED.
Invocations from the twins: 24 hours (14,400 rounds) [-23]

Buffs from Khubsheth:
(Affecting: Dewydd, Sylvar, Respen, Vale, Kleborn, Thallok, Lenny, and Travis)

[Basically, everyone except Tam, Lathir, and Xao.]

Geas for the duration of the adventure.

+5 bonus to all saves (Guardian Bonus, stacks with everything) for the duration of the adventure.
 





Aust Thale

Explorer
Respen:
Responding to Val before returning to the center room : “Axe, if you want to find yourself left down in this dungeon, keep it up. I feel badly that my choices have affected everyone in the manner they have. And I am truly grateful to all in this party. But I’ll be damned if it take admonition from an enchanted chunk of metal. Bugger off, Axe.” He abruptly collects his portable hole, turns, and moves up the corridor.

Upon reaching the center room and prompting the remaining riddle, he leans in attentively waiting for potential answers to it.
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Respen:
Responding to Val before returning to the center room : “Axe, if you want to find yourself left down in this dungeon, keep it up. I feel badly that my choices have affected everyone in the manner they have. And I am truly grateful to all in this party. But I’ll be damned if it take admonition from an enchanted chunk of metal. Bugger off, Axe.” He abruptly collects his portable hole, turns, and moves up the corridor.

Upon reaching the center room and prompting the remaining riddle, he leans in attentively waiting for potential answers to it.
Vale:
Vale mulls over the riddle, and he is struck by its apparent reference to a building. He realizes (see Rolz roll = 28) that it is a word with double meaning but rooted in architecture. He pauses, thinking for a moment. He nods and puts finger down on Respen’s parchment, indicating that he thinks he knows it. Seeing the others drawing blanks, he sheaths the axe so he can concentrate. He then speaks the word “Foundation”.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The Heiracosphinx speaks with a booming voice: "The final riddle has been solved! The final test awaits! Know now that this test is the deadliest one yet, and it is likely that some of you may not survive! Know ye also that the FOUNDATION OF ALL KNOWLEDGE is the WISDOM with which to apply it. You are wise, master Dwarf, and for your wisdom in this regard, you are granted this boon, with which to further pursue this greatest of virtues, and a token, to give you a clue as to the danger you now face. LIVE LONG, AND PROSPER, VALE STONEGALLOWS!"

Vale is granted a +2 DIVINE BONUS to his Wisdom score.
Vale is granted the EXTENDED LIFESPAN Epic feat.
A small, golden ring appears on Vale's left ring finger; in your mind, you are told that it continually grants FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT.

The last door opens, revealing, as before, a long and empty hallway, no doubt leading to the next deadly test.

EVERYONE (Except Vale): You can make a Spot check, DC 20, if you like. Otherwise: what do you do?
 

ScottDeWar_jr

second birthdate : 15 Dec 2011
Xao sees the gold bauble on Vale's hand suddenly be noticeable, then looks to see the proximity of Tam. He may not steal from someone, but I wonder if the scamp would be able to put a ring on another's hand without them knowing it. he thinks to himself.

OOC: not sure if that axe has reading minds capability or not


Xao sees the door open and is not sure why the rest are pausing, "So, we ran to get here, do we run down this hallway likewise?"
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
DM INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Decide amongst yourselves whether you will risk running blindly down this hallway as you did with the others.

2. When a decision has been made, ONE OF THE PCs should lead the party forward by taking the first step. (This needs to be POSTED in the IC thread, i.e., this thread you are reading at the moment.)

Once the party is in motion, I will post the results of travel, as well as a description of what your destination ends up looking like; but it is up to YOU GUYS to get the ball rolling.
 
Last edited:

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top