• COMING SOON! -- Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition! Level up your 5E game! The standalone advanced 5E tabletop RPG adds depth and diversity to the game you love!
log in or register to remove this ad

 

THE HEROES OF DYVERS CHAPTER 7: CLARE'S ERRAND


log in or register to remove this ad


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
SURPRISE ROUND:
Greater Lion Creature (Swift Action): Mass Suggestion spell-like ability
Greater Lion Creature (Standard Action): Casts Aid on Lion #3
Lion #3 (Standard Action): Casts Aid on Greater Lion
All the other lions (Standard Action): Cast Aid on each other; 1-->2, 2-->1, 4-->5, and 5-->4.

Several party members walk into the room while the lions are buffing each other:

Kleborn (F) - Walked in
Tam (F) - Walked in
Sylvar (F) - Walked in
Lathir (Made it, but still walked in)
Leonard (F) - Walked in

Members who resisted:

Respen (Made it)
Vale (Made it)
Dewydd (Made it)
Travis (Made it)
Xao (Made it)
Thallok (Made it)

A portal (actually a GATE spell!) appears, covering Squares G2-H2 and G1-H1.

A large Iron Golem steps out of the portal, and takes two steps forward, into squares G4-H4 / G3-H3. As part of its movement, it turns toward the party.

ROUND ONE INITIATIVES:

Unknown Person 27
Tam 26a
Lathir 26b
Greater Lion Creature 24
Vale 23
Respen 22
Sylvar 20
Xao 19
Lenny 17
Thallok 13a
Dewydd 13b
Kleborn 11
Lesser Lion Creatures 6
Travis 3

Iron Golem Attacks: 38,33 (both hit); Damage: 22,24 = 46 pts. total.

During the "surprise round," several members fall prey to the Lion-thing's suggestion spell. Kleborn, Lenny, Tam, and Sylvar walk blithely into the room, followed by Lathir, who steps in front of his friends, purposefully; Lathir resisted the suggestion, but entered the room anyway, growing tired of the Lion-thing's bravado.

As this is happening, the Lion-like creatures begin casting buff spells on one another; it is not hard to guess what the spells are. They are all casting Aid spells.

A third thing happens near the end of the surprise round that is COMPLETELY UNEXPECTED! A large portal (actually, a planar Gate) opens up in the southeast corner of the room! As soon as the portal opens, a strange-looking Iron Golem steps out of the portal, advances 10 ft., and turns toward the party. The party can clearly see that there is a large, crystalline ball embedded inside the golem's chest. The ball glows with a swirling blue energy. As this is happening, a soft, female voice issues from the golem's "mouth":

Voice: "Respen, dearie, please tell your friends not to hurt poor Georgie here. Georgie is your friend."

At that point, a thin, ash-gray ray of what looks to be negative energy, issues from the globe in the golem's chest, and strikes the force door, disintegrating it completely. Holding the door open is now a moot point.

During the first normal round, the golem is able to act before anyone else; this golem is not slow or lumbering as it should be. It moves with a preternatural speed, indicative of some highly advanced construct, bearing enchantments that you've never before seen.

Voice: "Georgie, kill the Lion creatures. Don't use your breath. The space is too small."

The golem spins on its heels, to face Lion #5; it catches the creature flat-footed, and slams it twice with its massive fists. The creature snarls more in agony than in aggression, as everyone hears the sounds of ribs cracking under the force of the golem's fists!

GM: Lion #5 takes 46 pts. damage. Lion #5 is MODERATELY WOUNDED.


Lion #5 will not last much longer under such a pounding.

973ECD0C-4815-4409-8B28-6C0ADB5DAC01.png

TAM: The suggestion spell has run its course. You are now in the lion's den, no pun intended. However, to your surprise, the door dilemma has been resolved. And it appears that the party now has help. You suspect that Respen's mistress, Clare, might be the one to thank for that. What do you do?
 
Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
Going against the obvious tactic of trying to sneak around one of these things, Tam slips on his invisible ring as he races toward the golem. With Lathir's hat, he changes himself into a red fisher (in the weasel family, larger in size than most, though). Knowing it to be an excellent tree climber, he climbs the golems legs like tree trunks and then makes his way up its back to stand on its shoulder.
From the left shoulder he comes.up with a line of attack: hurt from above.
He changes back into his true form grabbing his bow and readying two arrows, taking aim at L2.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
In a euphoric, whirlwind of whimsy, Tam forgets himself. He forgets that the hat's powers are illusionary, and not actually polymorphic. Imagining himself to be a weasel, he flies into action! Since his enemies are all still flat-footed, no attacks of opportunity are taken.

GM: Use Magical Device check, DC 12: 10 (Failed.)


But the Halfling is still an extremely skilled gymnast, with a good sense of balance. Tam pushes off the nearby wall with his feet, doing a somersault in mid-air, landing on the golem's shoulders.

GM: Tumbling check, DC 25: 27 (Success!)


Tam completes his move action, coming to rest atop the big automaton. But the golem is currently in motion, and Tam is forced to shift his weight a little.

GM: Balance check, DC 12: 13 (Success!)


Tam can only fire one arrow because of his movement; but his aim is true. He hits Lion #2 squarely in the mid-section... only to watch the arrow rebound off of the creature's tough skin.

GM: Damage: 3 pts. Minus DR (10) = 0 Damage.


It is a truly impressive display of prowess; had Tam been better equipped, he might have had a different outcome.

LATHIR: It's your turn! What do you do?
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Posting on behalf of Lathir, as per our phone conversation.


Lathir shifts to bear form in the blink of an eye; in an instant, he is every bit as big as his opponent. The greater lion seems somewhat taken aback by the sudden transformation! Sylvar is surprised as well, as he takes a Swift action to back up a square, to give Lathir room to fight.

GM: Movement is the result of DM AdHoc.


Lathir claws the thing twice, and bites it once. The bite gets through the tough skin, using raw force, but doesn't penetrate enough to cause much damage.

GM: Bite damage after DR: 1 pt.


However, the claws are far more effective; being adamantine, the claws shred the Greater Lion's skin like paper, opening big wounds in the creature's left flank.

GM:
Total damage from all 3 attacks: 40 pts. Most of you are startled to realize that Lathir's claw attacks are on-par with the golem's punches. The Lion-thing is MODERATELY INJURED. (Down 33%)


The Greater Lion-thing roars in AGONY as Lathir-Bear tears into him. It is clear that the Lion-thing was not expecting such a fierce onslaught. He draws in a deep breath, and lets loose a tremendous ROAR that is augmented with sonic force!

E8CF7985-1C20-4C9A-91C8-12AFD59A7373.png

EVERYONE: Make a Willpower save, DC 19. Remember your +5 bonus to saves from Khubsheth, if you have it.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Party Members:
SAVING THROWS MADE: WILL, DC 19:

01. Respen = Made it
02. Vale = Made it
03. Tam-Tam = Made it
04. Lathir = Made it
05. Sylvar = FAILED
06. Kleborn The Wolf = Made it
07. Thallok = Made it
08. Dewydd = Made it
09. Lenny (NPC) = Made it
10. Travis (NPC) = FAILED
11. Brother Xao = Made it

ROUND ONE INITIATIVES:
Clare's Golem 27
Tam 26a
Lathir 26b
Greater Lion Creature 24
Vale 23
Respen 22
Sylvar 20
Xao 19
Lenny 17
Thallok 13a
Dewydd 13b
Kleborn 11
Lesser Lion Creatures 6
Travis 3

GM:
EFFECTS OF LION'S ROAR:
Sylvar is Exhausted. (He was within 30')
Travis is Fatigued. (He was more than 30' away.)

40980AD1-C120-4154-8321-BD46A2054A28.jpeg
4FA42CD1-9B12-4571-BA79-158BC86881D7.jpeg

Sylvar, your base movement is now 20 ft. for the time being; you have a -6 to STR, which means you have a -3 To Hit (Melee) and a -3 To Damage (Melee and Ranged), and you also have a -6 to DEX, which means you have a -3 to AC, Initiative, Reflex saves, and Ranged To-Hit. Long story short: the blast of sonic energy knocked the wind out of you!

Travis, you have a -2 to STR, which means you have a -1 To Hit (Melee) and a -1 To Damage (Melee and Ranged), and you also have a -2 to DEX, which means you have a -1 to AC, Initiative, Reflex saves, and Ranged To-Hit. You cannot run or charge.


VALE: It's your turn! Most of your friends resisted the Lion's blast, but Sylvar and Travis fell short! What do you do?
 
Last edited:



Aust Thale

Explorer
Respen:
Moves to K4 next to Dewydd and behind Brother Xao. He surveys the battle, thankful for Dame Clare's intervention. As unnerving and dictatorial as she could be, her link to him through the orb did indeed afford him and his comrades protections, the benefits of an ostensibly evil benefactor to a good apprentice. He grasps Dewydd's shoulder and smiles, casting the glamer illusion of Greater Invisibility on him. He winks at Brother Xao. Immediately, he turns back toward Travis to attend to him, clearly reeling from the roar's strength-sapping magic.
 


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Vale cannot move into Square G4. But he can move to Square G5. So that's where I will put him.


Vale moves up next to Sylvar and casts Restoration; in an instant, as the result of a blue flash of light, Sylvar's strength, balance, and wits return, and he feels completely refreshed!

Respen then moves up behind Dewydd, and casts Greater Invisibility on him; in an instant, Dewydd disappears from sight, although a mock-sinister chuckle can be heard from the warrior-mage, as he prepares to employ his particular skillset.


SYLVAR: It's your turn! What do you do?
 

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar begins to sing...

"Oh the darkness comes
Hold through the night
The shadows will run

Fend off the enemy
Sing out the jubilee
With all the fire we can breathe

Were singing all day and you can't tame it
High tide and low tide you know
Night time or morning time
We're going strong
Headed up down the river
I feel the reveling
I feel change on the rise...

What good's a man
Who's lost his soul
Can't take a stand
When the flames gone cold

Fend off the enemy
Sing out the jubilee
With all the fire we can breathe."

all players who hear the song receive a +2 morale bonus to saving throws against charm and fear attacks and a +2 bonus to attack and weapon damage rolls

Also, the song is "Change is on the rise" by Avi Kaplan
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
SUPPLEMENTAL INFO:

Everyone who beat the Lion Creatures' initiatives can move through the Golem's square (but not charge through it---unless you can make a DC 18 Jump check) to get to other positions in the room. HOWEVER, once the Lion Creatures are no longer flat-footed, they will be considered "engaged" and you won't be able to move through the Golem's square at all.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Xao is forced to move to F3 instead of G3, as he originally intended. He cannot occupy the same space as the Golem. Since he is still flat-footed, L5 will NOT get an attack of opportunity.


Xao advances, and punches the creature HARD, putting all the power he can muster into that single strike... But the creature's skin is far thicker than he expected. He does not inflict any damage.

GM:
You "missed"; you hit AC 14, which falls way short of their AC of 23. But they're so big, you can't really "miss" them; you simply failed to penetrate their natural armor.


LENNY: It's your turn! What do you do?
 


Diarmadhim

Explorer
Lenny
"Oh... Erm, this is embarrassing. It seems Travis and I forgot to give our newcomers our protections in our rush to finish exploring this place!" Lenny states as he breathes fire out in a cone in front of himself, taking care to miss Lathir. Instead of being a typical flame, the fire seems viscous and sticks to the enemies it touches, hindering their movements. It painlessly dissipates from Klebborn due to the twins having cast Endure Exposure on each of the party members (save Lathir and Xao). "Your fire effects will be more potent while you're within range of Travis or myself."

Lenny Breath Attack.PNG

16 Fire damage. Reflex save for half, DC 26.

The effect lasts for 1 round (bad roll).

Entangling Exhalation: Your breath weapon deals only half its normal damage. Any creature that takes damage from the breath weapon becomes entangled and takes an extra 1d6 points of fire damage at the start of Lenny's next turn. 5 damage.

Entangled: The creature moves at half speed, cannot run nor charge, has -2 to all attack rolls, -4 penalty to Dex (AC & Reflex saves reduced by 2), and if they attempt to cast a spell they must make a Concentration check of DC 15 + the spell's level or lose the spell.

Both Lenny and Travis are projecting a Draconic Aura of Energy (Fire). They and all allies within 30 feet gain a +2 bonus on the save DC for spells, powers, spell-like abilities, supernatural abilities, or any other ability that has the fire descriptor or deals fire damage.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
ROUND ONE INITIATIVES:
Clare's Golem
27
Tam 26a
Lathir 26b
Greater Lion Creature 24
Vale 23
Respen 22
Sylvar 20
Xao 19
Lenny 17
Thallok 13a
Dewydd 13b
Kleborn 11
Lesser Lion Creatures 6
Travis 3

L1, L3, GL = Affected by Breath Weapon. DC 26 Reflex: 24,15,19 = All 3 failed.

L1 Takes 16 pts. Damage; L1 is Entangled.
L3 Takes 16 pts. Damage; L3 is Entangled.
L5 Took 46 pts. Damage This Round
GL Takes 16 pts. Damage; (+40 from Lathir) GL has taken 56 pts. damage so far. GL is Entangled.

The fire envelops three of the lion creatures, including the big one, entangling them in burning strands of fire! They writhe in agony, but their morale is undaunted. A fierce look of anger and hatred shines in their eyes!

THALLOK: It's your turn! What do you do?
 
Last edited:

redraider629

Explorer
Thallok was ready to take the diplomatic path, but the current events necessitated action. Thallok sees the others in the room, with the golem blocking them, and he knew he needed to be in the room fighting along side his friends. He makes his way around the golem into the room next to lion 2. His goal is to get this one out of the way to help with the big one. As he approaches the lion statue he attacks.
Thallok move to square E6 and attack lion 2
Thallok will use mountain hammer maneuver
Attack with Sylvar's song = 28
Damage from attack = 25
Damage from Mountain hammer 2d6 = 8
Total damage = 33
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
ROUND ONE INITIATIVES:
Clare's Golem 27
Tam 26a
Lathir 26b
Greater Lion Creature 24
Vale 23
Respen 22
Sylvar 20
Xao 19
Lenny 17
Thallok 13a
Dewydd 13b
Kleborn 11
Lesser Lion Creatures 6
Travis 3

L1, L3, GL = Affected by Breath Weapon. DC 26 Reflex: 24,15,19 = All 3 failed.

L1 Takes 16 pts. Damage; L1 is Entangled.
L2 Took 33 pts. Damage This Round
L3 Takes 16 pts. Damage; L3 is Entangled.
L5 Took 46 pts. Damage This Round
GL Takes 16 pts. Damage; (+40 from Lathir) GL has taken 56 pts. damage so far. GL is Entangled.

Thallok slashes through the thick hide of Lion-thing No. 2 as easily as through an old cloth sack. Mirios is no mere "magical" blade; it is a blade of DESTINY, forged by a Dragon, and wielded by a man who once thought that his destiny was not his to control. The creature roars in defiance, but it is obvious that Thallok has the advantage in this match.

DEWYDD: It's your turn! You're invisible! What do you do?
 

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top