log in or register to remove this ad

 

THE HEROES OF DYVERS CHAPTER 7: CLARE'S ERRAND

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Haste Action: Move to H6.
Standard Action: Battle Leader's Charge.
Thallok gets a running start, beginning at G6, leaping OVER Lenny,
as part of the charge. This charge maneuver does NOT provoke an AoO.
Long Jump: Distance 20', 5' high at apex. Haste doubles apex (10'.)
Haste increases distance by 1.5 times. [13 x 1.5 = 19.5 ft.] DC: 13.
DM Adhoc: Charging while Hasted grants +2 bonus to Jump check.
Total Check: 1d20+8; Roll = (15) = 15+8 = 23. (Success.)
NOTE TO THALLOK: You did NOT miss. You were thinking of the big Leonid that had an AC of 26. These smaller ones have AC 23. You rolled EXACTLY what you needed to hit him.


Thallok backs up to get a running start; he charges full speed at L1, leaping high into the air, clearing Lenny's tall stature with ease! He lands in Square C6, bringing Mirios down on the thing's head, biting into its flesh with ease!

GM:
Damage: 2d6+24 = 31 pts.
Stance: Heals Kleborn for 2 pts.


ROUND TWO INITIATIVES:
Clare's Golem 27
Tam 26a
Lathir 26b
Greater Lion Creature 24
Vale 23
Respen 22
Sylvar 20
Xao 19
Lenny 17
Thallok 13a
Dewydd 13b
Kleborn 11a
Someone Else Who Just Woke Up 11b
Lesser Leonids 6
Travis 3

Kleborn is Moderately Wounded (37 pts.)
Lathir is Lightly Injured (18 pts.)
Xao is Lightly Injured (8 pts.)

L1 Has taken 81 pts. damage so far; L1 is Entangled.
L1 is SERIOUSLY INJURED.
L2 is DYING. [-7]
L3 Has taken 16 pts. damage so far; L3 is Entangled.
L4 Has taken 12 pts. damage so far;
L5 is DYING. [-6]
GL is DEAD. [-22]

DEWYDD: It's your turn! What do you do?

GM:
Updated Battle Map coming soon!
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Dewydd Moresby
Using the momentum from my previous attack, I leap through the air and hover next to Thallok, swiping my blade at the Leonid.

Target: L1
Attack: +18/+13/+8, 2d6+4
Charge: +2 attack, -2 ac
Heedless Charge: -12 ac, +24 damage (x2 due to two-handed)
Leap Attack: +100% normal damage bonus (becomes x3 instead of x2 for two-handed), +12 damage
Momentum Swing: +12 damage (x4 instead of x3)
Powerful Charge: +1d8
Punishing Stance: +1d6, -2ac

Attack 1: 22. 65 damage if it hits.
Attack 2: 33. 65 damage if it hits.
Attack 3: 14. 66 damage if it hits.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Dewydd charges ahead, bringing steel to flesh!

His first attack misses his opponent by a WHISKER! The Leonid is quite agile, and good at dodging. But the second attack, which is a counterstroke, catches him in the neck, ripping his throat wide open! The third attack misses, not because of poor stroke placement, but because the Leonid collapses in mid-movement; he simply suddenly isn't where he's supposed to be! The Leonid is in a heap on the floor. He is bleeding out, a victim of Dewydd's fierce skill with a two-handed sword!

ROUND TWO INITIATIVES:
Clare's Golem 27
Tam 26a
Lathir 26b
Greater Lion Creature 24
Vale 23
Respen 22
Sylvar 20
Xao 19
Lenny 17
Thallok 13a
Dewydd 13b
Kleborn 11a
Someone Else Who Just Woke Up 11b
Lesser Leonids 6
Travis 3

Kleborn is Moderately Wounded (37 pts.)
Lathir is Lightly Injured (18 pts.)
Xao is Lightly Injured (8 pts.)

L1 Has taken 136 pts. damage so far; L1 is DYING. [-6]
L2 is DYING. [-7]
L3 Has taken 16 pts. damage so far; L3 is Entangled.
L4 Has taken 12 pts. damage so far;
L5 is DYING. [-6]
GL is DEAD. [-22]
Leonid Battle 006a.png

KLEBORN: It's Your Turn! What do you do?
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Posting on behalf of Kleborn.


Kleborn sails around the room, a spring in his step, even faster than normal, thanks to the Haste spell, but his technique, known as Spring Attack, would have allowed him to move freely without the spell. As he glides by L4, he slices the creature with his sword, and also bashes it with his shield. The creature is totally un-prepared for Kleborn's technique, and gets hit twice, very solidly.

GM:
Movement while Hasted: 60 ft.
Movement used in Spring Attack: 40 ft.
Since Sylvar is not engaged or threatened in melee, Kleborn can move through his square un-hindered.
Sword: 34 (Hit); Shield 35 (Hit)
Damage: Sword 12; Shield 5.
Total Damage Inflicted: 17 pts.
L4 has taken 29 pts. damage so far.
L4 is Lightly Injured.


7BD64373-5AAC-46AE-83BA-CC253F2DC5B5.png
FC962CCC-BBF8-4A10-9CE8-12B3A5A5675E.png
ROUND TWO INITIATIVES:
Clare's Golem 27
Tam 26a
Lathir 26b
Greater Lion Creature 24
Vale 23
Respen 22
Sylvar 20
Xao 19
Lenny 17
Thallok 13a
Dewydd 13b
Kleborn 11a
Someone Else Who Just Woke Up 11b
Lesser Leonids 6
Travis 3

Kleborn is Moderately Wounded (37 pts.)
Lathir is Lightly Injured (18 pts.)
Xao is Lightly Injured (8 pts.)

L1 Has taken 136 pts. damage so far; L1 is DYING. [-6]
L2 is DYING. [-7]
L3 Has taken 16 pts. damage so far; L3 is Entangled.
L4 Has taken 29 pts. damage so far;
L5 is DYING. [-6]
GL is DEAD. [-22]

COMING UP NEXT: The Mystery Combatant!
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
As the Mystery Being awakens, and becomes aware of his surroundings, he realizes that he is not in a good place, a place where he can be useful. Using his mental powers, he reaches out empathically, to the person who can make a difference, the person that can help him become useful, and fulfill his purpose:

Tam, you feel a sense of urgency, a sense of pleading, as if your spirit were a cloak that was being tugged upon. You feel a warmth in your boot, and as you look down, you realize that the dagger you found earlier is becoming quite warm!

Tam, you get the feeling that the dagger is somehow alive; and you also get the feeling that it would like you to draw it from its sheath, as if it had some purpose to fulfill. You feel as if the dagger is asking you to mentally surrender to it, asking you to allow it to enter your mind with its powers. DO YOU ALLOW THE DAGGER TO ENTER YOUR MIND?

P.S. OOC: If you allow the dagger to enter your mind, you will be willingly allowing it to assert its ego, which means that the dagger will be able to CONTROL you and make you do as it desires! Choose carefully!
 

Waynan

Adventurer
Supporter
Tam feels something dread and thrilling coursing through skin, nerves and mind. It was like having viscous lightning pour on and in one's body. He notices the sensation starting at his boot scabbard where he had tucked away (and quickly forgotten) the magically inscribed dagger 🗡. Tam, in future tellings of the tale, would swear that it was somehow 'talking' to him.

He knew, too, that it was asking permission to take control --- of him.

Tam couldn't help but flinch at the prospect of not having control of his own actions; and yet, these aberrant sphinxes had had no problem doing just that a mere minute or two ago. But, like their spell, would the entity in the scabbard release him to his own self once it fulfilled the purpose it was crying out to perform.
And, also...
Tam's inherent, and insatiable, Halfling curiosity just had to know what it was like to be under control of a magical item that was obviously either sentient, or was itself possessed, or...
"Or nothing, you silly ass." he admonishes himself, "Experience everything! That's what you vowed when you first set out to find adventure. And when you met Respen's Raiders, or Lathir's Lost Boys, or Dewydd's Dudes, or whatever the party's name was agreed upon, adventure is exactly what you have found...in Aces."

So...
With a deep breath, and filled with a modicum of trepidation, Tam let's the sensations take hold of him and releases himself to the will of the dagger 🗡.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
ROUND TWO INITIATIVES:
Clare's Golem 27
Having willingly surrendered control to Darkfang, Tam's initiative changes. (See Below.)
Lathir 26
Vale 23
Respen 22
Sylvar 20
Xao 19
Lenny 17
Thallok 13a
Dewydd 13b
Kleborn 11a
DARKFANG (Tam) 11b
Lesser Leonids 6
Travis 3

Kleborn is Moderately Wounded (37 pts.)
Lathir is Lightly Injured (18 pts.)
Xao is Lightly Injured (8 pts.)

L1 Has taken 136 pts. damage so far; L1 is DYING. [-7]
L2 is DYING. [-8]
L3 Has taken 16 pts. damage so far; L3 is Entangled.
L4 Has taken 82 pts. damage so far;
L5 is DYING. [-7]
GL is DEAD. [-22]

Tam growls, "Ah, at last, I once more have a voice with which to express myself! I am The Fang of Yyrdrok, also known as Darkfang, and I am the scourge of all Demons, Devils, and other foul filth that inhabit the lower planes! When I draw near, those whose hearts bear the taint of evil COWER before me!! Here, little Halfling, point me at that creature over there... BEHOLD!! WITNESS THE POWER OF DARKFANG!!"

Tam points the dagger at L4, holding it more akin to a wand than to a melee weapon, his touch upon the dagger being very loose and delicate. Three, red, glowing, arrow-shaped shards erupt from the dagger, streaking toward the Leonid!

GM:
Three ranged attacks: 27,26,25 = Three Hits
Damage = 15,18,20 = 53 total pts. damage.
L4 has taken a total of 82 pts. of damage.
L4 is SERIOUSLY INJURED!


All three of the red arrows find their mark, RIPPING into the Leonid like a hot knife through butter! Tam chuckles with uncharacteristic glee, as the Leonid writhes in pain!

Tam threatens, "EVIL CREATURES BEWARE! JUSTICE HAS COME FOR YOU!!"

THE LEONIDS ARE UP NEXT! STAY TUNED!
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Seeing that their numbers are dwindling, both remaining Leonids decide to attempt to take someone with them. L3 charges Thallok, and L4, seeking vengeance, charges Tam.

L4 get smacked by the Iron Golem, as it passes through its threatened squares, but does not seem to care. It leaps into the air, pouncing on Tam, unleashing all of its fury upon the Halfling.

GM:
Bite hits for 12 damage.
Claw hits for 12 damage.
Claw misses.
Total Damage: 24 pts.
Tam is MODERATELY INJURED.


The Leonid leaps into the air, clawing and biting at Tam as it does so. One claw and the bite manage to land, both ripping into Tam's magical leathers, and finding the flesh beneath. The Leonid lands on its feet, directly BEHIND the Iron Golem. (NEAR Square H3) (See map)

Lathir rakes the charging Leonid (L3) as it flies by, on its way to Thallok. Lathir's claw finds its mark, causing significant injury to the Leonind, but not enough to stop its charge.

GM:
Bite hits for 11 damage.
Claw hits for 6 damage.
Claw hits for 12 damage.
Total Damage: 29 pts.
Thallok is MODERATELY INJURED.


L3 pounces on Thallok, all of its ferocious attacks finding purchase, causing Thallok a great deal of injury and pain!

GM:
Golem attacks: 33,37 (2 hits)
Dam: 19, 21 (40 total)
L4 is DYING [-7]


The Golem smashes L4 with unrelenting brutality. One blow cracks several ribs on the creature's left side; the second blow cracks its skull. The Leonid goes down in a heap, bleeding out very quickly.

ROUND TWO INITIATIVES:
Clare's Golem 27
Having willingly surrendered control to Darkfang, Tam's initiative changes. (See Below.)
Lathir 26
Vale 23
Respen 22
Sylvar 20
Xao 19
Lenny 17
Thallok 13a
Dewydd 13b
Kleborn 11a
DARKFANG (Tam) 11b
Lesser Leonids 6
Travis 3

Kleborn is Moderately Wounded (37 pts.)
Lathir is Lightly Injured (18 pts.)
Xao is Lightly Injured (8 pts.)
Tam is Moderately Injured (24 pts.)
Thallok is Moderately Injured (29 pts.)

L1 Has taken 136 pts. damage so far; L1 is DYING. [-8]
L2 is DYING. [-9]
L3 Has taken 41 pts. damage so far; L3 is Entangled.
L4 is DYING [-7]
L5 is DYING. [-8]
GL is DEAD. [-22]
42EDD690-B8A4-4140-8299-8D37BF4DA1B4.png

LATHIR: IT'S YOUR TURN! THERE IS ONE LEONID LEFT! AND HE'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, TRYING TO KILL THALLOK! What do you do?
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir/bear roars with fury and launches himself into the remaining leonid. He holds nothing back from the conceived ferocity of his claws and bite.
OOC: 3d20: 10, 14, 8
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Travis moves forward and uses his fire breath. (E5)
Damage: 22 pts.
Save vs. DC 26: (18) = Failed.
Leonid #3 has taken 63 pts. damage so far.


Travis breathes fire on the creature, burning him BADLY. (He was already on fire. And he still is.) The flames continue to lick him, and melt his flesh!

GM:
Lathir's attacks: 23,40,35 = 3 Hits.
Total Damage: 42 pts.
Total Damage Taken So Far: 105 pts. [GRAVELY INJURED!]


Lathir bites and claws at the burning Leonid, his strikes not being slow enough to allow the fire to catch and burn him. Lathir's attacks are brutal, and the Leonid gets three, new, open wounds as a result! Lathir VERY NEARLY kills the beast, but somehow, it remains standing, although looking GRAVELY wounded!

VALE: It's your turn! The Leonid is on his LAST LEGS! What do you do?
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Vale moves up and slashes the Leonid deep with his axe! The Leonid winces in pain, as Vale's slash brings him to the very brink of death! The Leonid is staggering, and bleeding, and looks as if one more solid blow could finish him!

GM:
Vale uses his Haste action to move into position. (Square D5.)
The Leonid charged this round, so he doesn't get his reach AoO vs. Vale.
Vale spends his normal actions as a Full Round Action.
Vale's First Attack (34) hits.
You did his second attack wrong. You had him at +15. Should've been +10.
Plus, you have +2 from the Haste, so it should have been +12.
I am going to re-roll that attack for you.
It was a 16. (Miss.)
Leonid takes 11 pts. damage. (116 pts.) GRAVELY INJURED.


RESPEN: It's your turn! What do you do?
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Respen:
Sending the end of the fight, Respen’s brow furrows at the remaining Leonid’s desperate attacks upon Thallok & particularly Tam. He is fond of the hobbit, and particularly Tam’s tendency toward good fortune. A moment of cruelty sharpens Respen’s eyes, but as it passes he stoically whispers an arcane elven phrase and blue light flies from his fingertips, striking the Leonid (17 damage). He hopes that it’s enough.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Although these Leonids are extraordinarily tough, in the physical sense, they have no particular resistance to magic or spells, with one or two minor exceptions; thus, Respen's Magic Missile spell hits its intended target, having its full, intended effect; the Leonid winces in pain, as the bolts slam into him, and it is more than his system can bear. The creature blinks twice, then collapses to the floor, and ceases to move.

GM:
Leonids have no SR.
Magic Missile is auto-hit. Leonids have no resistance to force effects.
Leonid takes 17 pts. damage.
The Leonid has now taken a total of 133 pts. damage.
Leonid goes down, and is DYING. [-3]


COMBAT HAS ENDED! All of the Leonids are either dead, or dying. EVERYONE: What do you do?
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
SPECIAL NOTE: After looking at his sheet, and seeing that he was weak compared to the rest of the party, Hua Xao (Scott DeWar's char) has been re-worked, and is now much stronger, and much more in-line with everyone else's abilities; Hua Xao is still a draconic-looking Humanoid (Human-like features, with Draconic aspects) but now he has a TAIL. For the sake of story continuity, let's all just assume that the tail was always there, lol. :D
 

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Dewydd
Stepping up to each Leonid in turn, I deliver a coup de grace with my greatsword. "Might as well be safe rather than sorry. I've never been a fan of giving enemies the chance to try to take my life again. Where to next?" I ask, looking to the others.
 


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Dewydd, while finishing off your foes, you notice that on the large digit of the left paw, each of the minor Leonids is wearing a Silver Band (ring), and the Large Leonid has a Gold Band.

Respen also notices the rings, and speaks up, "We should keep those, they're all highly magical."

Sylvar nods in agreement: "He's right, all these rings radiate strong magic."
 

Waynan

Adventurer
Supporter
Tam slumps down to sit on the Golem's shoulder. He feels the bleeding inside his cut up leathers, but looks at the face of the construct he had stood upon throughout the battle. Noting the strong, chiseled features that only intensified the reality of the sheer strength of the thing; Tam pats it on the cheek.

"Well, ol' boy," he says in his perpetual whimsy, "that was a hell of a thing."
He winces for a moment at the pain from the raking he took from the Leonid, then continues,, "I probably could have used some of your stone hide on this one, eh?"

Tam then chuckles to himself for talking so cordially to what he supposed was a completely mindless automaton.
 


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
As everyone is catching their breath, another portal suddenly appears!

Georgie says, in a lilting, female voice, "Ok, little Georgie, come home to mama. You did very well against the mean ol' kitties. Respen my dear, please pick up the pace, I am very anxious to find my childe. But at the same time, do try to be more careful. Muah!"

As Clare finishes speaking, the golem quickly turns toward the new portal, causally (and carefully) brushing Tam off of his shoulder (quite unceremoniously) before disappearing back through the portal, which immediately winks out of existence as soon as he steps through it. Tam is not injured by the tumble, unless one counts his pride.
 

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top