• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

3.5 THE HEROES OF DYVERS CHAPTER 7: CLARE'S ERRAND

Aust Thale

Explorer
Vale: Movement in the Dungeon #1

Vale responds to Respen, “ I hopethe hobbit is stealthier in here than out there. Without his mighty steed, methinks he’ll dobetter. Oy! Tam, not too far ahead, alright? And if you run into any giants, leave somefor us. “ Vale moves in a similarfashion as Respen, taking serious note of the architecture. He already sensed that they were much deeper atthe bottom of the stairs, clearly a portal of some sort. Although he enjoyed the village outdoors inCaltaran, the city of Hochoch, and Dyvers itself, he found being underground pleasant,despite the stench. He wasn’t a deepdelver himself, but he indeed felt at home under the grass. At least alive and kicking under thegrass. Vale moved in connection with thegroup, putting some space between the front line and shading left of Respen. He followed in the footsteps nearly exactlyof those in front and beside him, not touching a space that hadn’t been treadupon previously. He examined the columnsas they passed them, checking to see how load bearing they were, or if the roofhere was being held up magically. He eyedthe walls as well, in case of poison darts.

OOC:
Darkvision to 60’;

Stonecunning
: +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such assliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match theold), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something thatisn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. Comingwithin 10 feet of unusual stonework automatically causes a Search check as if he were actively searching, and ahill dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. It also allows one to intuit depth, sensing approximatedepth underground.



OOC:
Search Checks Every 5 Feet:
23; 11; 14; 6; 19; 21; 6; 10; 21; 16


 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Making Headway

Tam:

Between yourself and Respen, you figure out that within the first 30 feet (to a distance which ends 1 square to the west of the furthermost column) there are no traps of any kind. This gives the party a bit of breathing room, and space to move around a little.

Hidden under the dust on the floor, Tam discovers that there are several, yellow-colored flagstones that form a cryptic phrase, written in an unknown language. Tam motions for Respen, who approaches and inspects the writing.

GM: DM NOTE: Respen's Decipher Script check is sufficient to read the phrase, without needing to roll.


"...When the Sphinx Queen faces west, the time to enter the tomb is best."

Respen:

At this point, Respen's Darkvision allows him to see another 60 feet, making the range that has been observed a total of 90 feet (some 35 feet past where Thallok claimed that his range of vision ended; ) and yet, an end to the corridor STILL cannot be seen!

The murals on the walls depict the history of the Sphinx Empire. They span the entire distance between where the columns begin and end. The north wall depicts the spiritual founding of the empire, with scenes of the sphinxes working hand-in-hand with the gods. As you continue to the east, the scenes show great monuments being erected by the lesser races, and the founding of medicine and knowledge. The southern murals depict the royal lineage of the Sphinx Empire and their passage to the afterlife. Several scenes depict sphinxes on reed ships traveling down a turbid river with the sun brightly illuminating the way. On the prow of the ship, another sphinx can be seen reading a scroll.

Among all the murals, Respen notices that carefully illustrated into the scenes, so as to not readily be apparent, the name of the Sphinx Queen is spelled out, in the Common tongue:

A N K H A R E T.

Vale:

Each column has grooves carved into it at measured intervals, indicating that the columns can be rotated clockwise, with great effort. Vale says that the columns are designed to rotate in quarter turns, each turn resulting in a different rune (one of four possible runes) being placed in the primary position. Vale does NOT know what the runes mean. One last thing of note: while moving around, inspecting the columns, you became POSITIVE, from the way the air smells, and from the temperature of the stone, that the party is at least 1300+ feet (over a quarter of a mile!) underground.

Val sputters, "Get the flower-eating Elf to come decipher this madness!"

GM:
Respen, roll a Decipher Script check, unknown DC. Tell me the result in the group LINE chat.
 
Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar steps close enough to the murals to study them but not touch them for anything he recognizes...he reaches back in his memory for anything he had heard about the Sphinx or the Sphinx Queen Ankharet.

He does not move beyond the range of the area already checked for traps.
 
Last edited:

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Following the requested 5 foot distance behind Tam, I make sure to place my feet exactly where his were with every step. Touching nothing, I maintain the 5 foot distance and suggest, "If the runes on those columns spell out Ankharet, chances are good we need to turn them to face the West before we enter the tomb... Something tells me it's for the best," I quip in a whisper with a slight grin.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Another Puzzle Has Arrived!

Respen, you get the feeling that these runes do indeed correspond to letters in the Common tongue, but there's something amiss, because you can't QUITE make the translation work. You are becoming quite frustrated, because you know, in the back of your mind, that it must be something very simple that you're overlooking.

Dewydd, these runes make no sense to you AT ALL. You are not sure WHY Respen seems to think that they correspond to letters, because nothing in their pattern indicates this. You wonder at the quality of the pipe weed that Respen must be smoking.

Sylvar, you suddenly have an epiphany. Sylvar says, "Hey Respen, would it affect the translation if some of the runes were upside down, or flipped horizontally? Not literally, I just mean in your mind's eye... imagine that some of the runes are either backwards or upside down... see how that one rune almost looks like an "K" if you were to turn it over?"

As Sylvar is saying this, everything clicks into place for Respen, and the translation becomes crystal clear! Respen smiles and winks at Sylvar, saying, "Thank you, my friend."

[sblock=Transliteration of the runes to letters in the common tongue.]

40E69736-D9E8-4546-9707-BBB9B3B70FE6.jpeg
[/sblock]

EVERYONE: What do you want to do now?
 
Last edited:

Damionte

Explorer
:: Ducan & Company ::

Duncan gives a signal, and the four some forms a circle, and takes a knee. Staying alert and quietly out of the way to let the specialists work.
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Solving the puzzle...#1

Respen mentally builds a picture of the columns, looking down vertically as if he is on the ceiling looking down. In his mind, he manipulates the letters to spell the word ANKHARET and calculates the positions to move the letters to do so from their current positions to positions on the west side of every column. He mentally adds the calculations to the letters, and with a piece of charcoal and parchment from his backpack, he shows the remainder of the party the following sequence:

A3 N0 K2 H2
A2 R1 E1 T2


"I believe that this is the sequence; we need to shift the runic letters in such a fashion that that each respective columns' western edge is one of these letters, and the numbers represent how many turns from the letters' current position to the new position the letters happen to be. The columns are large and heavy, so our stronger comrades will be needed.
Thallok, Kleborn, and Vale should be able to do it. I have a spare potion from the steading that will provide a giant's strength, if necessary.
If they must be turned at the same time, I'm not sure that we have enough to do it, even with the potion.
"

To Tam, "Work with me, Tam." Respen motions to Tam to come with him. "Search the interior line between the columns, and I will search the exterior." Respen more quickly searches the columns, only focused on the floor around them, making sure that anybody moving the columns doesn't step into a trap. He readies his dimension hop spell just in case.

OOC:

Search: 19; 35; 27; 27; 26; 20; 34; 21; 25; 27

 

Damionte

Explorer
:: Ducan & Company ::

Takes a look at the instructions, and his team starts working the columns one at a time working clockwise around the room.
 

redraider629

Villager
Kleborn and Thallok look at the columns, and follows Respen's instructions. Kleborn looks at Thallok and says, "Well Red, can't just stand around looking pretty. Let's get to work."

Thallok gives him a look, grunts, and gets to work moving the columns into the correct positions.
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Vale Is Strong Dwarf!!

Kleborn and Thallok look at the columns, and follows Respen's instructions. Kleborn looks at Thallok and says, "Well Red, can't just stand around looking pretty. Let's get to work."

Thallok gives him a look, grunts, and gets to work moving the columns into the correct positions.
As Vale moves to assist Thallok and Kleborn, Respen pops a pocket on his belt, drawing a potion from it and handing it to Thallok, "It's giant-strength. Hopefully will make this easier.
It should last four or five minutes, but that should be enough.
"

Vale smiles, and puts his back into it.
 

Sylvar B.

Explorer
While the others turn the columns Sylvar quietly sings a song to pass the time. A tawdry tale about a milkmaid and a highwayman. He skips over the raciest bits since Ebony is around.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Thallok drinks the potion, and immediately feels invigorated, the strength surging through his frame, making his already immense strength even more pronounced. Vale finds that once this occurs, that the two friends can move the massive columns readily, without the need for a third man. Nevertheless, Vale feels the need to at least supervise, telling each of the big warriors exactly where to step, and how to brace themselves.

As the stones are moved into place, a grinding noise, coming from somewhere in the floor, can be heard. Upon moving the last stone into place, according to the layout proposed by Respen, there is a thunderous crunch, akin to the sound of a giant lever clicking into place. The crunching click sound causes a vibration in the floor, that everyone in the party is keenly aware of. And yet, so far, no pits have opened up, and no ceilings have caved in. Nothing harmful or dangerous has occurred, and yet, all of you get an uneasy feeling that harm and danger are on their way.

Spurred on by Vale's assertion of authority in the supervision of the task, Val speaks up once again: "Ok, Halfling, the columns are set. Get yer arse down the hall, and tell us what's there. And try not to fall into a pit! We shouldn't need to rescue a mighty Giant killer like yerself. I know that you are far more clever than you let on."

Vale gives his axe a puzzled look.

Vale snorts, "You've been quiet for MONTHS, and now ye open your yap, to loudly bark orders in a place where the slightest noise is sure to draw attention? And what's with all the rudeness?"

Val retorts, "Oh, I see how it is. The damned Elf can sing his head off, but when I try to get things moving, suddenly, I'M THE ONE who's making too much noise?"


EVERYONE: What do you do?
 

Damionte

Explorer
Duncan & Company

"You're all making too much noise." Duncan retrieves his shield and motions for the company to reform on him. "We're up against powers beyond our own capabilities. I recommend cautious discretion until we have a greater understanding of what awaits us." Once the company reforms they wait quietly till the party is ready to move out again.
 

Waynan

Explorer
Spurred on by Vale's assertion of authority in the supervision of the task, Val speaks up once again: "Ok, Halfling, the columns are set. Get yer arse down the hall, and tell us what's there. And try not to fall into a pit! We shouldn't need to rescue a mighty Giant killer like yerself. I know that you are far more clever than you let on."

Vale gives his axe a puzzled look.

Vale snorts, "You've been quiet for MONTHS, and now ye open your yap, to loudly bark orders in a place where the slightest noise is sure to draw attention? And what's with all the rudeness?"

Val retorts, "Oh, I see how it is. The damned Elf can sing his head off, but when I try to get things moving, suddenly, I'M THE ONE who's making too much noise?"
Tam looks at Vale and Val and is at first ruffled by Val's crude directness in giving orders, then starts to chuckle a bit at the spatting between the two. It reminded him of he and his siblings back home in Littletown.

Of course, he can't resist putting in a "jab" (he thinks to himself and chuckles again, this time at his pun) at the Talking Weapon, speaking in the street dwarf accent of the gutter rats/thieves: "Okay, okay; I'm a-going, ya overglorified pot roast slicer." and heads out in front of the party, again going slowly with all due caution and utilizing every skill to espy deadfalls, traps, false walls, etc.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tam's Careful Scouting

Tam, in the space of about 10, very tense minutes, you make it all the way down the hall, and find that it ends with a set of ornate, gold and emerald-inlaid double doors. Before reaching the doors, you discover indications that the whole hallway past the columns is trapped; upon examining the doors, you find that the doors themselves are the trigger. It is your belief that if the doors are opened, the entire hallway will open up; i.e., a 70-ft long, 20-ft wide pit trap. You are not certain that there is even a way to prevent this from happening. The doors must open in order to access the next area; but opening them triggers the trap. You could possibly pull the doors open from a distance, if someone has 75 ft. of rope, and that's assuming that the doors are lightweight enough to allow it; but there's no way to know that without giving a firm tug on the handles, and if they ARE lightweight, such a tug will trigger the trap. As it stands, the entire hallway is currently safe to walk on, as long as no one touches the doors.

EVERYONE: What do you do?
 
Last edited:

Diarmadhim

Explorer
"I can fly - is anyone else able to? None of you happen to have a scroll of Floating Disk do you? Depending on the power it's set at, a couple people could stand on one. Or a few levitate spells could be used and have people hold the rope while I fly... Or a Dimension door would do the trick. Plenty of options, but I'm not that kind of wizard," I suggest with a chuckle.
 

Damionte

Explorer
:: Duncan & Company ::

Ebony chimes in. "We have none of those magics. Sir Moore and I both have emergency teleportation devices but they only work once a day. We prefer to save them for an emergency."

Duncan adds. "Aside from that we each have climbing kits as do my men. We could anchor ourselves to the walls or doors in preparation for the floor dropping out."

ooc said:
Eb's and Duncan are prepared to spend as much time as needed to prepare for this and have a take 20 value of 25 each. On Rope Use to anchor, or assist others in anchoring.
 

Waynan

Explorer
Tam investigates the doors more closely. He checks the seams of the door against the wall and floor (too short to check the top), trying to see where the depression plates are. His thought is, if there aren't too many, maybe a hold spell could keep them in place. While he continues to inspect the seams, Tam explains his idea to the party, hoping it's something that could be done.

Whether or not, he'd know from this lot soon enough.
 

Damionte

Explorer
:: Duncan & Company ::

"This is outside of my area of expertise. Do you truly think it will work? If so it's worth a shot. Otherwise, we're going to get out of the way, and stand off the death drop doors."

Still unpacking their climbing gear in cas eit's needed, the company moves off the center floor.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tam, there are no depression plates. Opening the doors is like turning a lever; somewhere behind the door, where you can't see without opening it, is a catch, like a hook, or maybe a pulley. When you open the door, you will pull "something" far enough forward to release the catch, which will cause the floor to drop out. That's why you surmised, to begin with, that there might not be a way to disarm this trap. The way to disarm it, it seems, is to know of its existence, and to trigger it from a safe distance.

Respen's idea about the party standing among the columns (in the "safe zone,") and using Mage Hand to open the doors sounds like the most plausible plan you've heard so far. You feel inclined to recommend that action, in fact.

While Tam is considering what to say, Val speaks up again. As it speaks, it begins to glow a bright blue.

Val: "Tam, old boy, when you touched the door just now to examine the seal, you awoke something unholy. The stench of the undead lies beyond that door. I sense the presence of at least 5 entities, possibly more. We're not talking Zombies here, lad. We're talking something properly powerful. Stay alert. That goes for all of ye. Vale, my boy, here's your chance to show me what you're made of. I'll not be leaving this crypt afore those beasties be destroyed."

EVERYONE: What do you do?
 

Advertisement

Top