THE HEROES OF DYVERS CHAPTER 7: CLARE'S ERRAND

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Xao has yet to truely prove his value to the party so he refrains from claiming one of the rings. he is more curious as to how to remove the key from the largest Leonid.
Sensing some perplexity or seeing the concentration upon his face, Lathir inquires as to the quandary. He offers, "I call upon Mielikki to transmute rock to mud, but I do not think these things are really stone. It may simply require brute strength. If so I can shift form to see if I can pull the thing free."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Lathir is correct; the creatures' skin was not actually stone, it was super-tough, leathery hide (like that of an alligator) which was grayish in color, giving the appearance of stone, further strengthened by magical means (permanent Barkskin); However, casting Flesh to Stone would turn their flesh into brittle, breakable stone, which would then make removal of the key pretty easy. Or you could simply chop the beast up into a bloody mess, and remove it that way.

ScottDeWar_jr

second birthdate : 15 Dec 2011
"Hmmm, I wonder if you were to .. .. ..<blah blah blah*> and then < hnnvjhudhnidfhijjnd*> followed by <Cthulhu F'tathagin*>.. .. .."

*Metaphysical gibberish to me, but Xao seems to know what he is saying
Translation for the more enlightened minds of the dark arts:

"If you transmute it as stone to mud, it will fail. However, if you trasmute the flesh flesh to stone it would make the tough hide brittle stone and we can just break the stone away from the key .. .. .. or we can save the spell and just cut it away from the corpse."

He looks to the leonid and reaches to his side as if to draw a weapon - only to grab at air. A bemused look appears on Xao's face as he sheepishly grins, "She took all of my weapons, the crazy bitch. Might you have a dagger I can borrow to do some carving?"

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
DM NOTE: Lathir, I am changing your ring to include bite in addition to the claws. It will make less note-taking / math complications for me when I figure combat data.

UPDATE: Your character sheet and wildshape sheet have now both been edited to reflect this change.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
... He looks... "Might you have a dagger I can borrow to do some carving?"
Lathir, who is in fact a rather patient man, sees the limitations of such an approach as well as the exasperate amount of time it would require. He shakes his head and walks over to the leonid.

"Too meticulous, you will probably want to step back a bit. This is likely to be messy."

He reaches down a grabs the arm of the beast to begin pulling it toward himself. In the blink of an eye, the blondish man and his belongings once again transform into a large bear. The bear moves into action with a ferocity never seen in the personality of the man who became it. He drives his claws into the chest of the leonid, unceremoniously ripping at the key to free it.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Despite being a Dire Bear, Lathir has enough precision with his claws to rip the key free from the Leonid's chest rather quickly; it is indeed messy, as Lathir predicted, but contrary to everyone's expectations, there is very little flesh rended. Most of the mess is from the blood, which spews and splatters EVERYWHERE, and upon EVERYONE. The key is freed within 12 seconds (2 rounds) and once removed, results in even more blood splatter on a massive scale.

GM:
NOTE:
Apparently, they key was connected, via some sort of magical conduit, to the creature's heart; the result being that it would have been impossible to remove the key while the beast was alive, so strong was its heart, so great was its constitution. And all of you suspect that the key may have also somehow strengthened the creature's overall physicality; but now that the creature was dead, and the magical conduit faded, the removal of the key was more easily accomplished, although doing so released a great amount of the creature's remaining blood, which had but minutes before, flowed through its veins, giving it its strength and vitality.

Lathir, in a calm and nonchalant manner, silently nodding in affirmation, hands the newly-freed key over to Dewydd.

EVERYONE: What do you do?

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Dewydd Moresby
Looking at the key I ask Respen, "Do you happen to have any scrolls of Identify or magical items that can do such on you? I never have Identify prepared and prepared spellglyphs instead of scrolls for this excursion." While looking at it, I cast Detect Magic to try and identify the auras on it.

Spellcraft checks of: 35, 39, 39, 31, and 41. Let me know if I need to make more.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases