The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

overgeeked

B/X Known World
If a certain thread about godly behavior is any indication, there are people who will be blowing their minds over Order of the Stick's snarl storyline.
If a few years of philosophy classes taught me anything it's that most people are simply incapable of honestly examining their beliefs and interrogating them in anything approaching a critical way. When asked why they believe things, it almost always comes down to uncritical acceptance (i.e. being raised that way, they simply choose to believe it, or they just do). That's the extent of thought put into it, i.e. none. When conversation turns to the whys, hows, implications, etc their eyes usually roll back in their heads and they tend to get loud, disruptive, and leave the class in short order.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Watch for my new guaranteed-not-to-crash-and-burn-thread "[D&D 5E] WotC needs a Donald Trump!" Coming soon to a forum near you! Sign up now for early access; each Premium Pass comes with an NFT!
Careful. You might get a warning or something. People get their fefes hurt if you go near politics. You've probably been reported a dozen times by now.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
If a few years of philosophy classes taught me anything it's that most people are simply incapable of honestly examining their beliefs and interrogating them in anything approaching a critical way.

I wonder if lots of people focus on "relative fit" instead of "absolute fit" when interrogating things about themselves (politics, religion, favorites). So, lots of "My current choice A is better (or at least no worse) than their choice B". But not much "Do either A or B make sense."

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Me, trying to understand how the wizard is ruining my game.
GIF by Achievement Hunter

I mean, I can see that it's clearly running other people's games. I believe the stories I'm hearing, but they don't describe what I've seen at my table. My friends and I enjoy playing the wizard, and we don't have any problems with folks stealing the spotlight, or gross power imbalances, or egos.

I'll say this as gently as I can: perhaps the problems with the wizard class are real...but maybe they aren't printed on the page?

Last edited:

Scribe

Legend
I wonder if lots of people focus on "relative fit" instead of "absolute fit" when interrogating things about themselves (politics, religion, favorites). So, lots of "My current choice A is better (or at least no worse) than their choice B". But not much "Do either A or B make sense."

When people are only presented with an A/B, or will not allow themselves to consider that there is actually C, D, E, and F, it leads to pretty divisive behavior.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Possibly. In my experience it seems far more likely that they’ve never questioned their beliefs, never had others question their beliefs, and never want their beliefs questioned. I believe it, I cannot accept being questioned in that belief, how dare you suggest I could be wrong, and how dare you not believe exactly as I do.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
When people are only presented with an A/B, or will not allow themselves to consider that there is actually C, D, E, and F, it leads to pretty divisive behavior.
Exactly. The Overton window is real and it applies to far more than just politics. It’s not just the individual limiting their options, it’s society as a whole.

Remove ads