• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Scribe

Legend
sexy happy days GIF

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I think, like Watchmen, there's a large part of the audience that definitely missed the point.

The audio commentary makes it clear that a lot of people during the pre-release viewings didn't get it. Which is worrying, because it wasn't subtle AT ALL.
It's another example of why Watchmen doesn't work as a movie and how it was specifically designed to take advantage of the comic book medium.

To sell it as a super hero movie they had to make the protagonists look cooler and sexier, the action scenes more fun, etc. Even while the subtext remained about the evils of vigilantism and fascism, many of the contextual emotional cues in the movie steer the audience the wrong way.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's another example of why Watchmen doesn't work as a movie and how it was specifically designed to take advantage of the comic book medium.

To sell it as a super hero movie they had to make the protagonists look cooler and sexier, the action scenes more fun, etc. Even while the subtext remained about the evils of vigilantism and fascism, many of the contextual emotional cues in the movie steer the audience the wrong way.
I think you're giving comic book readers way too much credit. Zach Snyder 100% believes he got the message of the movie right, based on his genuine love for the comic book.

And he's hardly alone. Moore has said, for years, that people come up to him and say that Rorschach is their favorite comic book hero and that they aspire to be more like him. (Moore, wisely, retreats into his beard like a turtle into its shell at this point.)

Remove ads