• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
The social gymnastics that people will go through to avoid talking to their players/DM is truly baffling. Am I the only one who plays D&D with friends?
You aren't. Even when I've played with people who started as strangers, I've expected ... at least, something like friendly acquaintances. Like, as an eventual endpoint.

MarkB

Legend
The social gymnastics that people will go through to avoid talking to their players/DM is truly baffling. Fiat? Restrictions? Taking sides? Friggin' coercion? Am I the only one who plays D&D with his friends?
That doesn't always make it easier. You have more to lose when directly challenging a friend than with a stranger.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
That doesn't always make it easier. You have more to lose when directly challenging a friend than with a stranger.
The long-time friends I game with, we understand each other well and we trust each other well and there are all sorts of presumptions of good faith and stuff. None of that is likely to hold with brand-new strangers.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
See, this is what I'm talking about.
Why does there have to be a "direct challenge" at all? What's wrong with just talking about what you want, and what they want, and then figuring out a path forward together? My friends and I just aren't that confrontational or assertive. Least of all when it comes to a game.

Last edited:

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
The social gymnastics that people will go through to avoid talking to their players/DM is truly baffling. Fiat? Restrictions? Taking sides? Friggin' coercion? Am I the only one who plays D&D with his friends?
I'm pretty sure most such complainers are either greatly exaggerating so they have something to whine about on the internet, or else they just need to hone their player/GM vetting skills.

Remove ads