The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I mean, I guess #1 and #3 are a little more understandable for me. I don't really see the "superior" and I'm not excited about "new art"...nobody is going to beat Elmore and Easley, imo. But I can definitely get behind the "new books" part because a lot of my old-school stuff is looking pretty ratty. (Thank goodness for print-on-demand.)
If WotC would make B/X available POD, that would certainly cut into OSE's sales. That being said, have you perused the OSE books? They're beautifully laid out and designed. The control panel layout, the use of the endpapers for reference tables, the clear and concise explanatory language... They're just great.

As for 1E and OSRIC, there's no comparison. The 1E books are a trainwreck of disorganization and the combat and initiative sections are so cumbersome and unclear that I'm quite sure no one on Earth plays them BTB, or ever has.

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Thank you. Living through the 80s, I remember what it was like when they made the change and you couldn't get the original (apparently they never truly went back to the original or so I am told but not sure how true that is).

It's a little bit more complicated than that. People confuse that with the HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) issue. Coke had already begun the transition the HFCS and completed the switch prior to the New Coke rollout, but it was recent. In other words, while they had begun the switch before (1979-81?) and completed it just prior to the switch, when they went back and served Coke Classic it wasn't the same as the "real sugar" (Mexican Coke!) that some people still had the memory of.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
All of that is true. But what I'm trying to say is that I can't understand:
  1. people who enjoy getting upset,
  2. how someone on the Internet can't understand their experiences aren't universal,
  3. why someone would choose a clone over the original,
  4. why someone would create such a bot.
1) Angry ranting can be cathartic, particularly for some who are miserable in other aspects of their lives
2)
Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

3) As others have pointed out, ease of access is a big motivator. Not just access to material, but the accessibility of said material (OCR PDFs, sensible organization, etc.)
4) Plenty of reasons, really. Could be a numbers game (every actual click earns more revenue, even if it's a small percentage); could be a means of testing security, just to name a few

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
If WotC would make B/X available POD, that would certainly cut into OSE's sales. That being said, have you perused the OSE books? They're beautifully laid out and designed. The control panel layout, the use of the endpapers for reference tables, the clear and concise explanatory language... They're just great.
Yeah, a couple. I went hard on the Castles & Crusades bandwagon back in the day, when 4E was announced and there was that whole PDF kerfuffle. All I really got out of it was the desire to play BECM, and I ended up spending way too much money on eBay getting a copy of the boxed sets. :) I still own C&C, but I haven't picked it up in over a decade. I also own a .pdf copy of OSE: Classic Fantasy that I got from DriveThruRPG, but same problem--it only made me want to play the original BECM rules.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Yeah, a couple. I went hard on the Castles & Crusades bandwagon back in the day, when 4E was announced and there was that whole PDF kerfuffle. All I really got out of it was the desire to play BECM, and I ended up spending way too much money on eBay getting a copy of the boxed sets. :) I still own C&C, but I haven't picked it up in over a decade. I also own a .pdf copy of OSE: Classic Fantasy that I got from DriveThruRPG, but same problem--it only made me want to play the original BECM rules.
I'll admit that BECMI/RC is a harder sell for retroclones (especially now that the PDFs are for sale again). That game is not hard to understand, it's organized in a rational way and it doesn't lack content (B/X leaves you out in the cold if you want to go over level 14, domain mgmt etc). If I wanted to play that, yeah I would probably just grab one of my RC's and call it good.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'll admit that BECMI/RC is a harder sell for retroclones (especially now that the PDFs are for sale again). That game is not hard to understand, it's organized in a rational way and it doesn't lack content (B/X leaves you out in the cold if you want to go over level 14, domain mgmt etc). If I wanted to play that, yeah I would probably just grab one of my RC's and call it good.
My only complaint about the Rules Cyclopedia is the artwork. I really, really wish they had included the original artwork from Elmore and Easley, because those images are so iconic and nostalgic for me.

Remove ads